Cannot Access Quiz - Receiving "Must Complete Modules" Message

Hi,

I'm currently trying to run through a course I've created using CoursePress, and am running across an issue. I am at a point in the course where I have to complete a Quiz, but every time I try to click "next" to access this quiz, I get a message telling me that I need to complete all of the required modules before I can access this one (i.e., the quiz). Please see the screenshot below. I also cannot get past this message by clicking the "next" button. If I hit the "previous" button, I'm simply brought back to the previous section of the course, and am then brought back to this "required" message if I try to move on.

I'm not sure why I'm receiving this message because I have completed all modules up to this point. There are also no other modules that I could have skipped, because the rest of the course is locked and only becomes available to users as they make their way through the course.

If anyone has any information about why this issue is happening, or how to resolve it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Brent,

Can you update plugin to latest version? I can seen that you are using 2.0.3 when today we released 2.0.4 version - which has lots of changes.
    let me know if new version fix that issue.

if not, would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Brent,

I checked your course and you could not move because answer to quiz were wrong. And in your unit you set

User needs to answer all required assessments and view all pages in order to access the next unit
    User also needs to pass all required assessments

So unless quiz questions were not answer correctly in first attempt you wont be able to move forward.
    Or you allow to change answers in quiz or disable "User also needs to pass all required assessments"

I withdraw your user - and enrolled it again and took quiz again - this time answered all questions correctly and I was able to move to another module without problem.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Brent

Hi Kasia,

Unfortunately I can't disable the "user needs to pass all required assessments" because the course is designed so that all students do have to pass every single quiz in order to pass the course. Users also can't have answered the questions to this particular quiz incorrectly because they can't even access the quiz at all. Also, this message is only appearing on this particular quiz, which occurs near the end of the first unit of the course.

All other quizzes are accessible, and even if a student does not pass the quiz, a box appears allowing them to "try again."

I'm just curious why this particular quiz can't be accessed at all when there were no issues with the other quizzes that came before it.

Thanks

• Nithin

Hi Brent,

Hope you are doing good today.

It seems like the support access isn't enabled anymore, to have a better understanding of your question, could you please enable support access, so that we could give a closer look, and guide your further.

You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please let us know once you enable access, so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Brent

Hi Nithin,

I've gone ahead and granted support access.

If it clarifies things a bit more, it seems that students testing the course make it through Chapters 1 and 2 of the First Unit, but then get stuck during Chapter 3 at the "Conduct Do's and Don'ts Quiz." The students receive a message saying they must complete all required modules before moving on to the next module (i.e., the quiz), but of course by this point they HAVE completed all required modules that come before the quiz. I'm just curious why this message it appearing. It can't be that the students have tried (and failed) to pass the quiz, because 1) they can't access the quiz at all, and 2) even if they had failed the quiz, the quiz is set so that students can retry the quiz.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Brent,

Thank you for the access - I wasn't able to replicate issue using admin account, with that account I was able to move to last quiz.
    But then I created test student account (wpmudev) and could observer that problem - quiz is not displaying to student account. Settings look the same as for other quizes and admin account can go through. That is bit strange.

If possible Please run a quick plugin/theme conflict test as illustrated in getting support manual (flowchart). Let me know how it goes.
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

If that will not bring any positive results please enable debug log in WordPress. To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it. I would need then to see content of the debug.log file - so please upload it to dropbox like a service and paste link here.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Brent

Hi Kasia,

I've gone and switched back to the CoursePress theme, and I've added those lines of code to the wp-config.php file. However, no debug.log is being created because the course is not listing this problem as an error. The course plugin is just assuming that students have not completed all required modules up to this point, and is preventing them from accessing the next quiz. I've gone and extended support access to the course for another 5 days.

• Nithin

Hi Brent,

I gave a closer look at this issue, and also imported your course in my system, and I was able to notice the same issue with your course. However, I'm not able to replicate the exact issue with the courses that I create in my install, even tried to create an exact copy of your course, but the newly created course still works fine in my install.

The issue seems to be specific to your site, I'm pinging the developer regarding this issue asking to give a closer look, and will keep you posted once I get an update from the developer asap. Have a nice day ahead.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Brent,

I'm sorry for the delay, at the moment Nithin is not online so I'm not able to grab that copy of course. But to be clear - when we test this type of issues we use dummy data and we try to replicate structure of the course (so question number, question type, answer numbers etc etc). So even with that copy you would need to actually change content to right one.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Nithin

Hi Brent,

I only tried to replicate the exact structure of your course, and only till where the issue exist, ie till Chapter 3, of the 1st unit. Some of the modules only contains dummy texts. If you are still looking to check that out, I have attached the course in this response, so that you could give a look.

I have already passed your imported course file to the developer, and at the moment, he's giving a closer look, will keep you posted once I get an update from the developer regarding this odd issue. Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Hi Brent,

I got a fix from the developer, before applying the fix, please do make sure to update the plugin to the latest version ie v 2.0.5.

Once done, please replace the following attached file class-course.php, in the following path /wp-content/plugins/coursepress/2.0/include/coursepress/data/class-course.php. You'll have to make use of a FTP application, to make these changes.

Once you make these changes your course should work fine, please let us know how that goes, have a nice day.

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• Brent

Hi Nithin,

It worked! Students are able to access the quiz that used to be restricted, and it looks like they'll be able to keep testing the rest of the course. On a side note, will this fix be part of future releases, or will I always have to update this file manually every time CoursePress is updated?

Thank you so much for all your help, and please pass my regards on to the developer for their help as well.

• Brent

Hi,

I was continuing testing on the course and came across this issue once again, where students are unable to continue the course because they have not finished required sections (although they actually have). I've gone and added the class-course.php file we were sent a few weeks ago, which fixed the issue last time this occurred. The patch seems to have worked in this case as well.

I also noticed that this bug reappeared only after I updated CoursePress from v2.0.5 to v2.0.6. I was under the impression that the fix would be included in the next version of the plugin. Was the fix not included in v2.0.6? I don't want to have to add the patch manually every single time the plugin is updated.

• Rupok

Hi Brent,

I checked plugin code of version 2.0.6 and I can see the patch applied there. So I'm wondering why you had to manually patch it again.

I'm pinging our developer regarding this as he can give us best idea. We will update you as soon as we get anything from him.

Please keep in mind, our developers work around the clock and they have to deal with lots of critical issues and other things. So it may take a little while for them to check this and provide a feedback. I will appreciate your patience.

For troubleshooting, we might need your FTP and WP login credentials. Can you please send me a message with your FTP and WP access credentials through our secure contact form here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Subject: "Attn: Rupok"
    - FTP Username
    - FTP Password
    - FTP Host
    - WordPress admin Username
    - WordPress admin Password
    - Login URL
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant URLs

The subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok