Cannot Access the Settings

Hello,

I have set up a site at http://www.help.simplpress.com and I have installed the Help and Support theme, however I am not able to access any of the theme options in the admin dashboard.

Is this a bug?

I have attached a screen shot.

• aecnu

Greetings Matt Fraser,

I could not find any issues with this theme whatsoever though I admit I have not set every item up and have easy access to the themes options (screen shot below)

In addition, you can see that I was able to change the settings by checking out the name at the top of the listings :slight_smile:
    http://aecnuwpmu.us/

Have you installed this theme with the child theme separately uploaded to the themes folder /wp-content/themes/childtheme ?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Matt,

It is my personal practice and recommendation to upload everything using FTP with the exception of updates for several reasons to include I get a report of files that did not upload correctly and I can compare there sizes too if there is any doubt.

Many times though not related to themes, in many cases regarding plugins folks having trouble give me their FTP info and I go in and compare file sizes and they do not match. I usually at that point just upload the whole batch and the problem magically disappears. Obviously I do not trust the uploaders within WordPress since I had trouble with them in the late 90's.

With that said and out of the way, absolutely you should be uploading the child theme separately and activating it instead of the parent.

Please advise on how this works out for us :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings PC,

The child theme file which are originally contained within the parent themes files should be uploaded separately from the parent theme to include NOT activating the parent theme but activating only the child theme portion for the site in question.

Customized files from the parent theme can be placed into the activated child theme folder and customized as one desires.

When a theme update happens the activated child theme folder remains untouched leaving the customizations in tact.

However, the parent theme files are usually all overwritten to include the child theme sub folder of the parent but not of the separately activated child theme.

I hope this helps to understand the concept of the parent and child theme relationship and the purpose thereof for having parent and child themes :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe