Cannot activate managed backups

I just reactivated my WPMU subscription and am unable to manage backups - or indeed to add a location (I want to add a Dropbox location). When I enter my secret key (obtained from the WPMU website) and click on Activate Managed Backups the address bar seems at first to be loading something but I am returned to the same screen.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Paul

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The issue with managed backups activation might mean that "something" is interfering with the communication of your site/server with our API. I'd like to start with checking WordPress debugging so please:

1. access the site's WP install via FTP or cPanel "File Manager" tool
    2. edit the "wp-config.php" file, adding following lines there (above the "/* That's all, stop editing */" line)

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

3. once it's there, reset your snapshot key again and try to put it into the Managed Backup to activate it
    4. repeat step above 2-3 times just in case
    5. via FTP or cPanel "File Manager" look for the file named "debug.log" inside "/wp-content/" folder of the WP install; download the file, rename it to "debug.txt" and attach to your response here.

I'd also like to take a closer look so after these steps are completed, please go to the "WPMU DEV -> Support" page in your site's back-end and click on "Grant support access" button there, then in a text box that appears below the green "Access open for X days" message, put your most recent snapshot key so I could use it for testing (it won't be exposed anywhere in public).

Looking forward to you reply,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Paul,

Glad to hear that backups are working properly for you now.

Whilst I'm writing, can you please tell me how to restore to an alternative ip/server?

Snapshot was not designed to be used as a migration tool, and even though we had multiple reports of plugin being able to do this we can't guarantee that this will work, and we're actually working on a new plugin for site migrations:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/roadmap/#wpmud-roadmap-product-shipper

You can still try doing this with Snapshot by going to your HUB page here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/hub/my-websites/
    Expand your site where backup is created and click on Backups tab.
    In there expand the section of your desired backup file and click on Restore, from the popup window choose "My website is down" option and follow the instructions from there.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.