Cannot configure Facebook for Comments Plus

I cannot configure my site's Facebook page/account to work with Comments Plus per the CP instructions nor FB's help files.

Not only do I not have any applications icon on my home page, but when I click on links to the developer's or apps site, I keep getting redirected back to my home page.

Alas, I did manage to find the developers page and I did log-in, but when I click the apps button on the top of the page, again it takes me back to my home page.

It acts as if it were a permissions problem, but I've confirmed I'm the manager for the page. I even tried adding myself as a new manager using a different e-mail, but when I get the authorization link, it doesn't work.

On conducting some Google searches, I found folks with similar reports of continually being redirected back to their home page, but as of yet no solution.

Any ideas?

• elpino
    • The Crimson Coder

Greetings @Temporal Sales i had same problem when facebook change the app making developer site, now it can only be created by an user, pages cant create app, to do this you gotta be loged in to a user facebook account, then go to the page to create app. here a tutorial how to do this, remenber it has to be from a user facebook account.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-to-make-a-facebook-app

hope this helps solver your issue.

Regards
    Alex

• Temporal Sales
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

it can only be created by an user

Thanks, got that part figured out before your reply.

here a tutorial how to do this

I'm now up against how to enter the site URL. The FB app page keeps prompting me to create a site/url hosted by one of their hosting partners. I don't see a way to enter my own site's URL.

Any ideas?

• Temporal Sales

Ignore that part..

I tried. But it's like I checked the earlier box that I wanted free hosting, but I didn't.

So there's nowhere to enter in the URL on the form. Then of course the system generates an error when I go to save the data because I didn't enter in a URL.

I'll try with a different browser and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks

• Temporal Sales

Addendum:

Ignore that part...

OK, I've deleted my last attempted app within FB and tried to create a new app using the WPMUDEV provided instructions and a different browser.

But I get the same problem. See attached screen shot.

Although I ignored every field the instructions say to ignore, the FB app form won't give me a place to enter my own URL, instead it keeps advising me that I haven't generated one from their providers, even though I made sure to leave that check box blank in the previous dialog window.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Temporal Sales

all you gotta do is choose the first option that says "website with facebook login"

Ah! I figured there was something I was missing.

and there put http://yoursite.com/.com

So within WPMU, the URL is "thefrugalreport.com" but the actual blog is "thefrgualreport.temporalsales.net"

So what should I enter in as the URL?

So I also need to append the "/.com" as in your example?

Thanks!

• elpino
    • The Crimson Coder

Greetings Temporal Sales, glad you are all set up, with this particular question i dont have much experience all the WPMU i have done so far are same domain, so cant help you with that question, what i can tell you is that the host you put on the app, will show on the facebook auto post if you use ultimate facebook, so it will link back to the host you choose to put, lets see if @aecnu or @timothy or anyone from the staff can help you with this great question since they have lots of experience with wpmu.

Hope i was of help
    Regards
    Alex

• Temporal Sales

Yes you've been helpful.

I now have the plug-in configured within the primary installation within the WPMU network, but when I log in to the admin panel for the sub-blog I'm working to develop, it still says Comments Plus needs to be configured.

Do I need to enter the configuration info for every sub-blog that uses Comments Plus?

I saw in the Comments Plus configuration the instructions said not to enable across sub-domains if using mapping, which I am.

Thanks!

• Temporal Sales

To clarify my question:

I have a WPMU network with 4 domains mapped to sub blogs. I installed the Comments Plug-in via the Network Admin panel and enabled it network-wide.

Now when I go into the sub-blog admin panel, it tells me I need to configure the Comments Plus configuration. But like for twitter it says to use the URL for the sub-blog not the primary network domain.

So within twitter, do I need to create a new app for each sub blog?

Thanks

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hiya @Temporal Sales

Just want to clear something up before proceeding. In a previous post, you said:

I saw in the Comments Plus configuration the instructions said not to enable across sub-domains if using mapping, which I am.

Then in your next post, you said:

I have a WPMU network with 4 domains mapped to sub blogs. I installed the Comments Plug-in via the Network Admin panel and enabled it network-wide.

Um... it will not work when network-activated with mapped domains.

In this configuration, Comments+ must be activated and configured on a site-by-site basis.

• Temporal Sales

it will not work when network-activated with mapped domains.

If you can't tell, I'm still new to WPMU :wink:

The checkbox in question said "don't click this if you use mapping." So I didn't.

I however installed the plug-in on the network and if I understand correctly, I need to now enable it on each site as needed.

Presumably, each site will need its own app as far as facebook and twitter are concerned, correct?

So for example, if I have four blogs, in facebook dev I'd have four apps listed?

Thanks!

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again,

If you can't tell, I'm still new to WPMU :wink:

LOL. We've all been there :slight_smile:

Yes, if you are using domain mapping, install the plugin but do not network-activate it.

In your setup, you would need to activate and configure the plugin on each sub-site individually. That means that each sub-site would need its own Facebook & Twitter apps.

• elpino
    • The Crimson Coder

Greetings Temporal Sales with this suggestion you resolve your issue? remember to mark as resolved bellow, when you are all set.

Also check ultimate facebook plugin is really good with all stuff facebook, what i like most is that imports comments made from post publish on the facebook page to your actual pages, great social integration.

you can check it out here more info on that plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/ultimate-facebook/

• tfbc

I know this is resolved, i just wanted to add a couple points

the twitter app and mention a person does not have to create a different app for every domain they use comments plus on.

when a person logs into dev.twitter.com then selects their created app, there is a tab which says: @Anywhere Domains

this tab allows you to add additional domains/subdomains to access the app to the same twitter account.

This also could be the case with ultimate facebook at where you may have multiple fb pages, you can add multiple domains as well to 1 app then use the opengraph to control what is shared/liked.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.