Cannot create a complete backup via Snapshot

When I'm trying to create a local backup via Snapshot, it's always failing at plugins folder. When I'm splitting it in 2 parts: backup of the database and files without plugins folder and a separate backup for plugins folder it works fine. But complete backup of all files and database doesn't work.
There are no errors in the debug.log and server error log.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Delie

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I know that during the chat the I/O limits issue was suggested and you were about to check that with your host. You host should be able to check their logs and see if such limits (or any other resource usage limits) were hit around the time the backup was attempted and that's crucial to know about it.

If I/O limits are hit indeed there are two ways to deal with it: either ask the host to increase these limits or, if that's not possible, to keep backups split to multiple smaller ones (as you have already tested and is working for you) as this helps decrease the "load" that the process is putting on server.

If your host confirms that there's no issue with any limits being exhausted, we'll be able to rule that out and in such case we'll need to investigate it further, looking for another possible reason and how to fix it.

Let me know please what you host say and depending on this we'll then decide what to do next :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Delie
    • Flash Drive

Hello Adam,

thank you for your help in solving this issue. My host has confirmed that there are no I/O limits and they have asked me if I can provide the time/date and IP you are connecting from so they can check this in the logs to see what is happening. But I believe that's what Katya did during our chat right? Unless they have other logs I am unaware of.

I have seen other similar issues that mention Cloudflare which seem not to have been solved. I am also using Cloudflare on my site. Maybe this has something to do with it?

Thanks again for your help and have a nice day!

Delie

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Delie

Thank you for getting back to me.

hey have asked me if I can provide the time/date and IP you are connecting from so they can check this in the logs to see what is happening. But I believe that's what Katya did during our chat right? Unless they have other logs I am unaware of.

That's not really related to when any of us is/was connecting to the site but rather to when the backup was run. I assume there might be no I/O issues then as they should be able to see that in logs anyway if there were any but just to make sure, could you please get in touch with them again regarding this? Do it this way, please:

- first, run a full snapshot (so not the partial smaller ones but a single one that includes everything that you want to backup) and not the start date/time
    - wait until it breaks or gets stuck and note down the date/time
    - then tell you host that within that time frame you were testing/running a backup plugin on your site that's performing a lot of file read/write and "memory-intensive" operations, asking them to check if they can find any traces of any resource/timeout issues related to your site within that timeframe.

That might help them check things out and if they do find something, it might give us a more clue on what's happening.

As for CloudFlare.

Yes, that sometimes is an issue. CloudFlare itself shouldn't interfere but they got strict "timeout" limits and if - due to how running backup affects server load - your server does work fine but responds slower than CloudFlare expects, this may indeed cause the whole operation to be "terminated" by CloudFlare. To test that out you could temporarily pause CloudFlare for your site (please note: it's not exactly the same as enabling "dev" mode - in CloudFlare dashboard you should find the "pause" option for your site and use it) and see if the full backup completes then.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Delie
    • Flash Drive

Hello Adam,

I have managed to run a Snapshot and after disabling Cloudflare, but the backup ran through Managed Backups is still showing an error message "Other kind of backup error".

I noticed that the Schedule shown in The Hub is different from the one shown in the plugin from my website installation. The time was correct but the day wasn't. I tried setting them to the same time and day and waited for the backup to run. It seems to get stuck at around 50%.

I've also contacted my hosting and told them what you said. I got an error message from Cloudflare while running the backup (attached), so I've sent it to them as well.

I'll wait to hear from them, but if you have any ideas they'd be very welcome, as I don't want to disable Cloudflare.

Thanks and have a nice day,
    Delie

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Delie

Thank you for your response.

I suggested disabling CloudFlare mostly for testing. The 524 error that you're getting with it is exactly what we discussed earlier: a timeout error from CloudFlare. But there's something that caught my attention and I think we need to get back in this discussion a bit :slight_smile:

You wrote:

I have managed to run a Snapshot and after disabling Cloudflare, but the backup ran through Managed Backups is still showing an error message "Other kind of backup error".

Although it's the same Snapshot plugin, there are two backup tools and they are different, separate tools, doing the backup in a different way.

Do I correctly understand that after disabling CloudFlare you were able to run full snapshot, as in "Snapshot -> Snapshots", including db and all necessary files - and it worked fine?

And then you separately run Managed Backup ("Snapshot -> Managed Backups") and that one gave "empty response" error?

I'm asking about this because as they are two separate tools (even though in single plugin) they do need separate troubleshooting.

As for "snapshots" - if I correctly understood you and a full snapshot worked fine without CloudFlare that would mean that the process is causing too much load on a server to be able to respond to CloudFlare within the timeframe allowed by CloudFlare. Unfortunately, you can't change timeout setting in CloudFlare and since "snapshots" engine is not much "configurable" that means either keeping the CloudFlare disabled or, if you want to enable it back, sticking to those multiple partial snapshots instead.

However, regardless of this, we could actually try to tweak Managed Backups ("Snapshot -> Managed Backups") engine a bit as there are some options to deal with it and see if that could be improved to eliminate the "empty response" error and make it work.

I'll be happy to give it a go, just confirm please if I correctly understood you response as I'd like to be sure that I'm troubleshooting the right thing :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Delie
    • Flash Drive

Hello Adam,

Thank you for your reply. You understood correctly. I was able to run a Snapshot when I disabled Cloudflare, but when the managed backup ran, it got stuck at 50%.

And when I try to run a managed backup with the option "also run a backup now" I get the "Other kind of backup error" or empty response message.

What you suggested is ok, since I'm actually more interested in the Managed Backups working. If I ever need to use the Snapshot feature, I could try disabling Cloudflare temporarily as I did yesterday (although, of course, it would be better if both of them worked).

Thank you again for your help and have a nice weekend,

Delie

• Delie
    • Flash Drive

Hello Predrag,

It seems that everything works properly as long as I don't have Cloudflare enabled. It would be great if the WPMU DEV team could find a way to make both Snapshots and Managed backup work with it enabled, as I like the added security it gives to the site.

Is there anything I can do to have both Cloudflare and Snapshot working?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Delie,

I tried some additional tweaks in Snapshot and added two lines in your wp-confing.php to try another backup process and I was able to get it to finish with a different process than before.
    Can you try enabling Cloudflare now and see if it finishes?

If it fails again can you try editing your wp-config.php file and edit this line of code in there:
    define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 100);
    Try increasing the value from 100 by 50 and see if you can find a "sweet spot" that will get it to work with Cloudflare.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.