Cannot edit upfront theme: cannot skip nor advance tutorial

When I click EDIT on a Upfront theme, I cannot advance the popup tutorial, nor skip it, so I cannot edit the theme... clicking on NEXT, nothing happens!
Thanks.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Roby,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Also, please note that there are differences between Upfront Builder and Upfront Editor.

Upfront Builder is a plugin, an addition to Upfront, that allow you to create new themes and editing existing ones in order to create themes that you can later on activate or export.

Upfront Editor is part of the Upfront theme and will allow you add/edit content of the existing theme and those changes will be specific to your site.
    Upfront Editor doesn't require Upfront Builder to work.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Roby

Thanks for the quick reply!

I setup support access as you instructed, however please note that I am using a local machine so you cannot connect to it from outside my network: does "support access" work anyway?

A question: if I can customize upfront themes from both the Upfront Editor and the Upfront Builder, which one should I use? What's the difference?
    For example, can I customize the theme from the Upfront Editor and then export my modified them from Upfront Builder?

Thanks!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Roby,

Unfortunately we can't access your site while in local development, it needs to be live in order for support access to work.

Could you start the editor in Chrome and open console to see if there are any errors there that could tell us what's going on?
    You can open console on Mac by pressing CMD+ALT+J, or on Windows CTRL+SHIFT+J

A question: if I can customize upfront themes from both the Upfront Editor and the Upfront Builder, which one should I use? What's the difference?

Upfront Builder plugin is additional tool for Upfront and is used to create new Upfront child themes, for example create your desired layout which you can install on other sites running Upfront and add site specific content there.

Upfront Editor on other hand can be used without the Builder and that's what you should be using to add content to your site.

Our Upfront child themes are all built using Upfront Builder, once you install them on your site you can use Editor to edit then in order to make changes that will be specific to your site.

So, if you're using one of our child themes you should be changing them with the Editor, but if you want to create your own "starter" child theme then go for the Builder.

Hope this is not too much confusing :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Roby

Sure, this is the output from Chrome console (nothing relevant, apart gravatar blocked by my network):

jquery-migrate.min.js?ver=1.4.1:2 JQMIGRATE: Migrate is installed, version 1.4.1
    uf-fixer:758 GET http://0.gravatar.com/avatar/f5ecf4017cfc1c34c9514580debd595c?s=26&d=mm&r=g 404 (Not Found)
    uf-fixer:759 GET http://0.gravatar.com/avatar/f5ecf4017cfc1c34c9514580debd595c?s=64&d=mm&r=g 404 (Not Found)
    jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:3 The specified value "!" does not conform to the required format.  The format is "#rrggbb" where rr, gg, bb are two-digit hexadecimal numbers.
    ja @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:3
    n.parseHTML @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:4
    a.fn.init @ jquery-migrate.min.js?ver=1.4.1:2
    n @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:2
    (anonymous) @ main.js:73
    f5ecf4017cfc1c34c9514580debd595c:1 GET http://0.gravatar.com/avatar/f5ecf4017cfc1c34c9514580debd595c?s=26&d=mm&r=g 404 (Not Found)
    f5ecf4017cfc1c34c9514580debd595c:1 GET http://0.gravatar.com/avatar/f5ecf4017cfc1c34c9514580debd595c?s=64&d=mm&r=g 404 (Not Found)
    main.js:117 [UPFRONT]:  ["Booting exporter"]0: "Booting exporter"callee: ()length: 1Symbol(Symbol.iterator): values()__proto__: Object__defineGetter__: __defineGetter__()__defineSetter__: __defineSetter__()__lookupGetter__: __lookupGetter__()__lookupSetter__: __lookupSetter__()constructor: Object()hasOwnProperty: hasOwnProperty()isPrototypeOf: isPrototypeOf()propertyIsEnumerable: propertyIsEnumerable()toLocaleString: toLocaleString()toString: toString()valueOf: valueOf()get __proto__: __proto__()set __proto__: __proto__()
    util.js:212 Google Maps API warning: InvalidVersion https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/error-messages#invalid-version
    YA.j @ util.js:212
    (anonymous) @ js?v=4&key=AIzaSyBSjiTDjrlK-UPfGtR4TlI0lDNs12pHz5E&libraries=places&sensor=false&callback=upfront_m…:130
    (anonymous) @ js?v=4&key=AIzaSyBSjiTDjrlK-UPfGtR4TlI0lDNs12pHz5E&libraries=places&sensor=false&callback=upfront_m…:49
    (anonymous) @ js?v=4&key=AIzaSyBSjiTDjrlK-UPfGtR4TlI0lDNs12pHz5E&libraries=places&sensor=false&callback=upfront_m…:46
    (anonymous) @ js?v=4&key=AIzaSyBSjiTDjrlK-UPfGtR4TlI0lDNs12pHz5E&libraries=places&sensor=false&callback=upfront_m…:49
    (anonymous) @ js?v=4&key=AIzaSyBSjiTDjrlK-UPfGtR4TlI0lDNs12pHz5E&libraries=places&sensor=false&callback=upfront_m…:102
    (anonymous) @ js?v=4&key=AIzaSyBSjiTDjrlK-UPfGtR4TlI0lDNs12pHz5E&libraries=places&sensor=false&callback=upfront_m…:46
    (anonymous) @ js?v=4&key=AIzaSyBSjiTDjrlK-UPfGtR4TlI0lDNs12pHz5E&libraries=places&sensor=false&callback=upfront_m…:102
    gc @ js?v=4&key=AIzaSyBSjiTDjrlK-UPfGtR4TlI0lDNs12pHz5E&libraries=places&sensor=false&callback=upfront_m…:48
    fc.cb @ js?v=4&key=AIzaSyBSjiTDjrlK-UPfGtR4TlI0lDNs12pHz5E&libraries=places&sensor=false&callback=upfront_m…:102
    (anonymous) @ util.js:1
    util.js:212 Google Maps API warning: SensorNotRequired https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/error-messages#sensor-not-required
    YA.j @ util.js:212
    (anonymous) @ js?v=4&key=AIzaSyBSjiTDjrlK-UPfGtR4TlI0lDNs12pHz5E&libraries=places&sensor=false&callback=upfront_m…:130
    gc @ js?v=4&key=AIzaSyBSjiTDjrlK-UPfGtR4TlI0lDNs12pHz5E&libraries=places&sensor=false&callback=upfront_m…:48
    fc.cb @ js?v=4&key=AIzaSyBSjiTDjrlK-UPfGtR4TlI0lDNs12pHz5E&libraries=places&sensor=false&callback=upfront_m…:102
    (anonymous) @ util.js:1

The issue happens with both Chrome and IE, with different upfront themes.

Thanks a lot for your useful piece of information.
    I would like to create my own upfront themes, so I need to use the Builder.
    In the meantime, can I edit upfront theme via the editor and then later on create, using the builder, a new upfront theme from my modified one?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Roby,

After some further testing I was able to replicate the issue on my local installation and I have already reported the issue to our developers.

While we wait for a fix there's a quick workaround that you can do.

When the popup shows up right click anywhere on page and select inspect, in inspect screen it should select upfront-popup-background div by default, so all you need to do is hit Delete on your keyboard to remove that DIV, after that you will be able to click on popup buttons and continue working with Editor.

In the meantime, can I edit upfront theme via the editor and then later on create, using the builder, a new upfront theme from my modified one?

Unfortunately no, Builder changes are saved on site while Editor changes are saved in theme.
    But the above workaround should work until the fix is released :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Roby

Thanks Predrag for the temporary fix!

Reading here https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/working-with-the-upfront-builder/

Export New Theme
    When the new or modified theme is complete, you can download it to use on other sites. This process is very simple. When your new theme, or newly modified starter theme, is complete, save it and exit the Upfront editor. Go to your wp-admin area, then to Upfront > Builder. You’ll now see your new theme listed in the bottom panel. Hover over the theme, then the click the download button. The theme will be saved as a .zip archive on your local device/computer, which can then be uploaded to any site with Upfront core installed.

I understood that I could edit the theme via the upfront editor and then you can see it in the Upfront builder.

Can you please better explain what you mean by the following?

Unfortunately no, Builder changes are saved on site while Editor changes are saved in theme.

I am confused now, I changed the upfront theme via the editor and I see the changes in my site when I apply the theme.
    However, when I go to the builder, the upfront theme is a different one... Where are my changes saved? How can I sync the themes?

Thanks