Cannot export latest version of upfront builder theme to a different site

Hi,

I cannot export my builder theme "clarity" from dev.upfront.club to clarity.upfront.club successfully. I want to export the "latest version", not some old version that it keeps reverting back to. The latest version is at dev.upfront.club

Support access is enabled on both sites. Please make clarity.upfront.club look exactly like dev.upfront.club

I have tried reseting upfront and clearing cache, however this does not work.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Johnny

Luís

Hi johnnymestizo ,

Hope you're doing well today!

I checked the themes you have in Upfront Builder of dev.upfront.club and it don't have that layout, so, after created the theme in Upfront builder you changed it using the Upfront editor? If yes, these changes will only be for that site and it will be not saved in starting theme you created.

When you create your theme using Upfront Builder, all the layouts are saved in files, so the theme can be exported to other install. Changes made using the Upfront editor are saved in the database.

So, you can try one of this options:

1) Make all the changes using Upfront Builder.

2) Migrate the full website using Snapashot (as an example) and restore it in clarity.upfront.club.

Keep in mind the migration process in Snapshot still in BETA and is not guaranteed to work in all properly. You will need some search and replace in the database to change all the links properly.

You can use a plugin like Search & Replace

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

johnnymestizo

So, upfront editor mode and upfront builder mode look exactly the same?

One is accessed from the backend and one from the front end.

I thought because builder was installed and active, it would be able to figure out how to export database updates.

That was confusing, as I thought builder didn't work properly.

Perhaps having an alert pop up if builder is installed, saying "warning: all changes from editor will not be exportable, please use builder to make changes" is in order?

Regards,

Johnny

Luís

Hi johnnymestizo ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Let me just add some information about the differences between Upfront Builder and Upfront editor:

Upfront Builder

Upfront Builder is a new plugin to create your own Upfront child themes from the scratch, to design the base of your Upfront child theme.

It can be launched through admin panel -> Upfront -> Builder.

You can create your own layouts (single post, single page, archive, etc) and export the theme to be used in your site or in other installations. Also, you can edit the layouts of the Upfront starter themes too (Spirit, Fixer, Panino, etc..).

Upfront Editor

Upfront Editor is used to insert/edit content in your website (pages, posts).

It can be launched through the back or front end, clicking in the Upfront menu item of the top admin bar.

So, basically, Upfront Builder is used to create the base of your theme, the structure, that will be used everytime you start a website.

Difference here is that , Upfront Editor can be used to change the layout too, but, the changes made using Upfront Editor will be only for that site and it will not be saved as new starting theme.

So you can use Upfront Builder to create a starting theme, activate it on your desired sites and then use Upfront Editor to make changes only.

Perhaps having an alert pop up if builder is installed, saying "warning: all changes from editor will not be exportable, please use builder to make changes" is in order?

Thanks for your suggestion, I think maybe a notice like that in the Upfront Builder section could avoid some confusion in other users too, so, I've just moved this over to our Features and Feedback section, so it can be taken into consideration for the next plugin updates

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

johnnymestizo

Two things would improve this situation that confuses users of Upfront:

1. The ability to flick between Upfront Editor and Upfront Builder and back again on the front end.
    2. If for the many possible reasons, Upfront Builder crashes, it does not revert back to Upfront Editor on the browser page reload.

A simple reload of the page, flicks between Builder and Editor. The user then keeps happily modifying their theme, then realises all of their changes since the crash were in vain.

Cheers,

Johnny