Cannot get a Mapped Domain to work!

Hi

I’m trying to map a new domain to a subdomain on our multisite. I’ve followed the instructions and the A record has propogated but the health status of the mapped domain still says invalid.

Can you help please? I’ve granted support access so hopefully you’ll be able to get in.

Thanks very much

James.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello James,

To use A record you have to have dedicated IP for your server and that IP has to point directly to your networks main site. In case of your IP it does not do that. It shows 404 error.

In cases like that you have to add domain as add-on domain in your hosting panel and point to root directory of the network (when you add domain as add-on it automatically creates separate directory for domain, so you have to change it to directory where your multisite is installed).

Then you should be able to add domain as mapped domain for your subsite.

Let me know if you have more questions.

kind regards,

Kasia

• jamesathomson
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Kasia

Thanks for your reply.

We do have a dedicated IP, we host with WPEngine and they have confirmed this.

The same IP they quoted was resolved in the domain mapping plugin itself.

Below is a screenshot of the domain mapping plugin network settings…..

Thanks

J.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello James,

I’m not sure why they recommended this way (also they are 3 ways in that article – which one they want you to use?).

I understand that your domain is not “hosted” in WPEngine, but in other provider? In that case you have to change DNS of domain to WPEngine DNSes and then add that domain as add-on and point to root directory of the network.

I’m not familiar with WPEngine panel, but add-on domains are not called add-ons there like in other panels (cPanel, Plesk) so you would need to confirm in WPEngine which option in their panel will work as add-on domain.

kind regards,

Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.