Cannot get into the Backend of my Site

I have noticed some things have been going a bit awry with the theme I have been using. It is from another source, so I won’t ask about it here, but today I have run into a real problem. Whatever I have just done (actually it was add a post) has somehow now gotten me locked out of the backend of my site.

Everytime I try to go to the dashboard or wp-admin on my site I get a white screen. So….what do I do to determine what is causing this and fix it when I can’t get in there to tinker around??

Suggestions, anyone? Also, I did add an anti-spam plugin this morning and activate it, but I had done that several steps before this started happening. I also activated Akismet, but have not gone through and gotten an API key so it is technically not “active”. I just went in and through the FTP deleted the new plugin just in case that was the issue – no luck. So, again, suggestions?

Thanks and cheers!

Isis

• cdc19
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Rename your “plugins” folder to something like “old-plugins”. Create a new empty “plugins” folder. Try accessing /wp-admin again. If this doesn’t work, try renaming your current theme in the same manner. WordPress should revert back to the default theme.

If this works, re-activate your theme and/or plugins one at a time to determine which one caused the problem.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Yep, as cdkrauth’s succinctly stated, you can rename your /plugins/ folder via FTP, which should hopefully get you into the back-end.

You might also need to try deleting your current theme’s folder from the site (definitely make a backup of it), and WordPress should auto-switch to Twenty Eleven.

EDIT: Just noticed you mentioned deleting the theme folder too, cdkrauth! Missed it initially. Sending some rep points your way for some great help!

-David

• AndrewTraub
    • The Crimson Coder

I would create a new folder called “_old” in both the plugins and themes directory and copy your plug-ins and themes into the folders. Like David said, try the default wordpress theme. Also, ask your host to run a database repair just to be sure.

Andrew

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.