Cannot get Multi-DB to work with my multisite

I've created the 16 databases and I've tried over and over again to get Multi-DB to work with the inspire.vision site.

Something is amiss, though, and I don't know what. When I complete the procedure as per the Multi-DB instructions, the entire network simply stops working.

Would it be possible for someone to have a look and help me out with this?

Thank you,
Alex

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Alex, looks like we've bumped into each other again today. :slight_smile:

One thing I should note is that Multi-DB is one of those plugins that though it can be easy to set up... it's also something easy to mess up as well.

I did notice that you've got a lot of plugins installed on your Multisite presently, and with that much stuff active, it's tough to say what exactly is causing a hiccup.

What you may want to do is to clone the network, try disabling all of the plugins, and then run through the setup again.

I should ask though, what kind of hosting are you using presently? Multi-DB isn't designed for shared hosting, it's really intended for VPS/dedicated hosting.

Regards,
    Michael

• Alex
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Michael,

Thank you for looking into it. I can tell you what's causing the hiccup :slight_smile:

Multi-DB is actually the very first thing I've tried to set up, when I had no plugins at all. Your instructions say one thing, and the image illustrating the step shows another thing. Do I follow the text instructions, or the illustrations? I've tried doing everything according to the text instructions, then I tried everything according to the illustrations, then I tried combinations - altogether 10 or so attempts.

In short: the reason things are not working is some mistake that I am making in the settings. Yes, I could sink more hours into it, disable all the plugins and do 10 more attempts in the hope that I'd eventually stumble upon the combination that works, but the chances are I'd just be in for more frustration - which is why I contacted you guys.

Well, if you cannot help me by setting this up for me, I am willing to give it another 10 goes, and I'll set aside another two working days for this purpose alone. Would it be possible for you to send me the zipped up Multi-DB files from a 16-databases installation that works? This way I least I could look at the code and modify it to my settings.

The multi-site is on the dedicated server.

Thank you,
    Alex

• wp.network
      • The Bug Hunter

Hey @Alex

You are correct in raising the discrepancies in the documentation.

Your instructions say one thing, and the image illustrating the step shows another thing. Do I follow the text instructions, or the illustrations?

I have tried to point this out carefully and to get WPMUDev involved in this thread.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/db-configphp-global-tables-section-verify-correct-code

I'm guessing that the screenshot you're referring to is the one right under Step 3 in the usage page documentation, yeah?

After looking at the forum threads for several days when I had this issue I came to think that this screenshot may have been sowing user confusion for literally years.

Anycase, I hope the details of my thread linked above can help, and that the docs (including the in-file comments for db-config) get updated and reconciled.

I can verify that I got the thing installed and working as far as I could tell. It just took a week to read the instructions...

Cheers,
      Max

(points always appreciated :slight_smile:

• Alex
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Max,

You got it - Step 3 in the usage page documentation was my main stumbling block. Thank you for the link and for pointing me in the right direction, much appreciated, this really clears things up for me :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Alex

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Eo

I am sorry to hear that you are having some issues with multi db plugin as I can see you already have an open thread. I admit that, at the first stage the usage guide is little confusing to some people, we are still working hard to provide better and organized docs and usage guide.

Currently, as I am seeing, you are waiting for an answer in that thread, I am tagging @Vinod Dalvi so that he can answer you as soon he is online.

Let's deal in your thread about your issue, so that the original poster of this thread won't be bothered with notification email :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• Eo
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

thats fine thank you, I'm just looking on here - in the community for answers- since i have yet to find one that works for me...

is it possible to import the charset? sql accepts .xml files and seems to give me a green check mark but I can't find any information after that.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Eo,

Hope you're well today! I've just responded to your other thread here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/ok-ive-had-so-ooooo-many-headaches-trying-to-get-multi-db?replies=5#post-736437

is it possible to import the charset? sql accepts .xml files and seems to give me a green check mark but I can't find any information after that.

The charset would be for example UTF-8, which is set when you create the database, or import a database with a specific charset. But a charset can't be independently imported. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.