Cannot Get the POP3 Setting to Work in eNewsletter

After reading through the blogs, I have successfully achieve part of the bounce test in the settings. When I test, I receive the Test-Connection-Bounce email to my bounce email account but the wheel continues to spin and the email is not deleted.

I have confirmed that the email is good, password works, SSL, port, changed the setting in the specific gmail account to allow POP and have tried more and less secure apps in G Suite.

I have also attempted to send a newsletter to two email accounts, one is known good and one is a nonsense email. I receive the newsletter at the good account but no bounce is recorded for the nonsense email by the plugin nor in the bounce email account.

Please advise.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Scott,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

After reading through the blogs, I have successfully achieve part of the bounce test in the settings. When I test, I receive the Test-Connection-Bounce email to my bounce email account but the wheel continues to spin and the email is not deleted.

I understand that the "bounce" test email gets delivered to the "bounce" e-mail account so that part is working fine. As for deleting that e-mails, have you checked with other account (different account provider) if it gets (or not) removed there?

I'm asking this because sometimes its just not possible to delete these e-mails from an account (it's stated in the plugin next to "Test Connection" on "Bounce Settings" page) and it would be good to know whether this is an "account issue" or a plugin issue. Could you please test it in case you did not do it yet?

I have also attempted to send a newsletter to two email accounts, one is known good and one is a nonsense email. I receive the newsletter at the good account but no bounce is recorded for the nonsense email by the plugin nor in the bounce email account.

The "bounce message" has to be first sent by the server. This is a "standard" think but there are some cases where there's no such message. Most common are when the message actually got delivered but was filtered by the SPAM/antivirus filter and instead of being "bounced" got moved to the SPAM folder of the inbox or even removed. Have you checked the SPAM folder? In case it's not there, is it possible to find out how the SPAM filters are configured/work for this account?

I'm just trying to narrow down/eliminate most basic causes and if this turns out not to be the case, I'll dig deeper so let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Scott Phillips

Hey Adam...thanks for getting back to me and I think I am pretty close. Just something is messing up the POP setting.

On the first point, I have not tested with another account provider as we only use our main domain. We are using a pretty standard account provider in gmail, G Suite. Can you suggest a know good provider? I did see that it might not be deleted but would expect to see it recorded in the bounce section of the report. It is recording that the email is Opened.

On the second point, I did find the bounced email in the Spam folder and I assume that I want to make sure turn that off so all of the failed emails end up in the inbox. I tested this, found the bounced email in Inbox but it was not recorded as "Bounced" in the report for that newsletter.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Scott!

It looks like we are a step closer, I'm glad that the part of an issue (spam folder) is now resolved.

As for bounced e-mails not being recorded in bounce section. I can see some older threads on this on our forum but they are old enough to be not relevant (there were important updates to the plugin addressing bounce issues since then) and recently I didn't come across similar issue at all.

I'll ask plugin developer for some suggestions on how to proceed with troubleshooting this and hopefully he'll be able to give me some tips that would help us solve this. Please keep an eye on this thread (developer's response may take a bit more time than mine here on support forum) and I'll get back to your with further information as soon as I get a replay.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Scott!

I'm sorry for keeping you waiting. I got a word from the developer and it seems that the "bounce discovery" feature is a bit "troublesome". What I mean is that despite our best efforts it's very difficult to make 100% efficient tool for this and I can only suggest playing with different accounts from different providers to be used as "bounce e-mails" until you find the one that works best for you. To add even more confusion to this, it may be possible that two separate accounts from the same e-mail provider may give slightly different results (though I'm not sure why this happens).

That being said, I can also confirm after the conversation with the dev, that this is a know issue and he and his team are aware of the troubles so that's "on the table". There's no estimations though on how and when this may be fixed for good so I'm not able to give you any warranty or ETA at this point.

I realize that this may be quite inconvenient issue and I'm very sorry about it. I hope they'll be able to find a solid solution with one of future releases.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Scott!

an you ask the developer what accounts are known good? They must have a provider they know is good that they use.

Well, actually, they do not. This seems to be more complex "than it seems". Apparently though GSuite which is a "business account" related may not be working that well. I had some luck in the past with a regular (non-business, free) gmail account and an e-mail in my own domain but both required me to switch off all the possible filters and forwarding options and pretty much all available additional security options. Gmail has changed a bit I think since than though it may still be worth experimenting.

Kind regards,
    Adam