Cannot install the Directory update

Hello, It doesn't appear as though the Directory plugin updates automatically as it said on its web page. I am already running Directory Version 2.0.1 and see the notice that Version 2.0.3 is available. So I downloaded the zip file 68168_wordpress-directory-2.0.3.zip and tried installing it from Dashboard > Plugins > Add New > Upload. But I receive the error message that folder already exists.

When I looked in the Manuals there are no instructions on how to install this update. Searching the community forums is like looking for a needle in a haystack and I haven't found any useful information.

And when I install this updated Directory I want to be sure to keep all my previous settings and listings so that nothing breaks. How can I do this?

thanks!

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello southernmdholistic and welcome to WPMUDEV,

So I downloaded the zip file 68168_wordpress-directory-2.0.3.zip and tried installing it from Dashboard > Plugins > Add New > Upload. But I receive the error message that folder already exists.

When it says "Auto-Update Capable", it means you do it through your wordpress network admin panel under Plugins or Updates--> Available updates or WPMU DEV and NOT by downloading and trying to uploaded through the install new plugin.
    This is just the way wordpress works. And don't worry. Nothing will break (unless you have manually played with the plugin's code).

Please let us know if you need further assistance. We are here to help. :slight_smile:
    Thank you for your time,
    marikamitsos.

Should you find the provided solution satisfactory, please mark the topic as resolved.
    Thanks again, marikamitsos

• southernmdholistic
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi marikamitsos, Thanks for your prompt reply! I appreciate your time.

In my WP Dashboard I went to Plugins > Updates Available, just as you said, and see the Directory there. So I click on the link "Download Update" and it simply takes me to the web page for the Directory:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-directory/

From here, I have no idea what to do. There is a link to "Download Directory" but this just leads me to download the ZIP file 68168_wordpress-directory-2.0.3.zip.

Am I missing something here?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings southernmdholistic,

As you mentioned in your original post relating to finding instructions for installing plugins you may want to start by reading Installing plugins section in our comprehensive WordPress and WordPress Multisite Manual if you are new to WordPress.

From here, I have no idea what to do. There is a link to "Download Directory" but this just leads me to download the ZIP file 68168_wordpress-directory-2.0.3.zip.

One thing that has sent up an alarm to me is the plugin's file name above which should not be as you have it but rather 18145_wordpress-directory-2.0.3.zip is the correct file name.

So I am not exactly sure what file you have but if it is not this file something really fishy is going on there. Please double check this before proceeding.

Once again marikamitsos has given some sound instruction and did a great job including the graphics too. Some more rep point for you marikamitsos

Please be sure to let us know if you have resolved your upgrading issues.

Thank you both for being a WPMU Dev members!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• southernmdholistic
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello, Thanks a lot for your help. The screenshots were indeed very helpful. So I have attached two screenshots of what I'm seeing in my Dashboard. I have a pretty recent version of the Directory: Version 2.0.1 and I also have the WPMU DEV Update Notifications plugin installed.

When I click on the "Download Update" link from Plugins > Updates Available, it just takes me to the regular web page for the Directory:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-directory/

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

@southernmdholistic
    haha Happens to everyone. Glad I could help.
    And thank you for the rep points . Really appreciated. :slight_smile:
    If you're in need of more help, please don't hesitate to post again :slight_smile:
    Thank you for your time,
    marikamitsos.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.