'cannot modify header info' warning on membership plugin account page update

Hi,

When I try to update my password on the account page of my membership plugin site I get a long list of warning messages, the password is successfully changed but I am then logged out after. This only happens on my live site, not the test site.

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /homepages/3/d377176883/htdocs/wp-content/themes/theme1322/header.php:2) in /homepages/3/d377176883/htdocs/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 754

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /homepages/3/d377176883/htdocs/wp-content/themes/theme1322/header.php:2) in /homepages/3/d377176883/htdocs/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 755

etc etc

Updating the other fields is fine, this only affects updating the password

i am using membership 2.1.3 and wp 3.3.0

Thanks,

Al

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Al! :slight_smile:

Please upgrade your WordPress to 3.3.1 and Membership to 2.1.4. We always support the most recent release of WordPress.

As for the error messages they are pointing to your theme:

/themes/theme1322/header.php

Looks like there is a rogue space in there somewhere. Check for a space around the <?php which shouldn’t be there.

Let me know how you get on.

Take care.

• al
    • New Recruit

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for the prompt response. I have had a good dig around in the header.php on my theme. There were a few spaces in there, i removed those but i am still having the same problems. Any other ideas?

Many thanks,

Al

• al
    • New Recruit

Hi Timothy,

Just for info – I have written my own add-on to add custom fields with jquery validation. Its in the add-on section called Simple issp fields. This is installed on the test website and it is ok but it might be causing a problem.

Thanks

Al

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Just went in to your admin do a little more debugging and noticed you have around 10 plugins which need updating. WordPress also needs updating to 3.3.1.

Because we always support the most recent version. Can you please perform those updates first, then check the error still exists, if it does then I’ll continue to debug for you. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

• brandicoot
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I’m having the same issue. What I have done to find the cause:

Exported the site and imported it as a single site.

Deleted all plugins not used.

Disabled ALL plugins except the membership plugin

Changed the theme to the default twenty eleven theme (have also tried twenty ten).

So, I have the default WP theme and only the membership plugin activated and I’m getting the attached error messages whenever someone tries to register.

You can register yourself to see the error message for yourself here… http://brandicoot.com.au/~swbwtest/register/

Let me know if you need access to the wp admin or ftp access.

Thanks Chris

• brandicoot

…not sure if this is related but when I try to verify the tables, it shows all ok except…

Checking table : wp_m_communications – Missing

when I click on “repair membership tables”, it shows…

Checking table : wp_m_communications – Fixed

However, it’s not “fixed” the table is not created and when I click on “verify membership tables” again, it still shows them as missing.

• brandicoot

Ok, I think I’ve found the cause of the issue.

I made the mistake of following the instructions on the “Membership Page Options” page…

“You can include an introduction on the page, for more advanced content around the registration form then you should include the [subscriptionform] shortcode in some location on that page. Alternatively leave the page blank for the standard Membership subscription forms.”

Firstly, any attempt to add “[subscriptionform]” to this page will cause the “cannot modify header info” error when a person registers.

Secondly, you can NOT “include and introduction on the page” – adding any text to this page does absolutely nothing and will not be shown.

Thirdly, if you only have one subscription available, then the message shown when a subscriber attempts to register again “You currently have a subscription for the Connect Membership subscription. If you wish to sign up a different subscription then you can do below” is confusing. It should say, “You’re already subscribed. Would you like to manage your subscription? {link to subscription or account page}”.

I can’t help feeling that these messages should be configurable but that’s a development issue for another day. What I’m primarily concerned about is the fact that any attempt to include shortcode for the subscription form (and possibly other forms but I haven’t tried the others yet) is producing a serious error as well as the fact that I cannot customise the content of these membership pages.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings brandicoot,

Sorry for the delay in a reply to this ticket.

I found it today while digging around in the back of the ticket system.

Please open a new ticket of your own including the great information from your first two posts and copy and paste is fine.

The purpose of this request is so that if the need arises to call in the lead developer in on the issue, his will be focused on your issue rather then needing to wade through all the stuff from the original ticket.

Thank you for understanding.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.