Cannot restore from managed backup

riverdentistry.com got hacked and I tried restoring from downloaded managed backup and standalone snapshot file, that did not work and the snapshot file caused errors. When I was able to get into the site, I tried restoring from managed backup and that did not work either. I also could not import a managed backup file into snapshot to restore. The hack actually might have been helped by the fact that a couple days ago I tried to create a managed backup, but instead of server backup it created a local backup in the website file structure. Since I backup users table only to remote backup, chances are, hackers were able to sniff it and use it to login. Is there any way to prevent that in the future? Thank you for your help. M.

• Luís
    • Support

Hi Michael ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Just to make sure, what was the procedure you followed? Have you downloaded the installer script?

As the backup was saved locally, I am afraid that you will not be able to get it from the Backup section of your Hub.

Can you please try this procedure?

1) Upload your backup .zip file to the webroot of your server;

2) Download the .zip file attached, unzip it, and upload "snapshot-installer.php" to the webroot of your server too.

3) Then, try access to the restoration wizard, it should be "http://yourdomain.com/snapshot-installer.php", and follow the step by step instructions there.

If you already did this, can you please share the exact errors you are getting?

Cheers, Luís

• Michael
      • Flash Drive

Thanks, Luis:

I tried both restoring it from the user interface of snapshot - it crapped
      out on step 2 - and by uploading the php file I downloaded and you sent - tons of errors, see below:

http://riverdentistry.com/snapshot-installer.php

Without backup file uploaded:

Notice: Use of undefined constant self - assumed 'self' in /home/content/58/10692958/html/snapshot-installer.php on line 2148

Notice: Use of undefined constant self - assumed 'self' in /home/content/58/10692958/html/snapshot-installer.php on line 2148

with backup file uploaded:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/58/10692958/html/snapshot-installer.php:2148) in /home/content/58/10692958/html/snapshot-installer.php on line 80

I do have a copy of the file, which I could upload. I just do not want to
      keep it there forever because it also has users table. However, the
      managed backup restore does not seem to work even with available files.

Thanks,
      M.

• Luís
    • Support

Hi Michael ,

Firstly, sorry for the late reply and all the problems it may have caused.

I checked the link you shared but seems that you missed the backup file. Have you downloaded it from your HUB and uploaded to the web root folder as mentioned in the tutorial?

Cheers, Luís

• Michael
    • Flash Drive

I did but the errors in the PHP page showed regardless of backup file being there or not. I've removed the file from the root folder after trying because it contains user name/pw table as well. I also thought you should be able to restore from the Snapshot interface and that does not seem to work either.

• Luís
    • Support

Hi Michael ,

Can you please send us the FTP details of your website so we can investigate further this issue? Also, please send us the backup file too (you can use Dropbox or Google Drive)

Please send it privately through our contact form:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Luis Lopes"
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - Login url
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Link to backup file
    - Any other relevant urls/information

Cheers, Luís

• scott_yearton
    • Recruit

I'm having this same issue. In trying to migrate a site from a testing server to live hosting, using the Snapshot files, I get the error. Hopefully someone here can find a solution.

Notice: Use of undefined constant self - assumed 'self' in /home/69/45/2904569/web/snapshot-installer.php on line 2148

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.