Cannot see directory listings in plugin.

The site is not allowing me to display any of the listings that were created. Please check the following link: http://www.orange-guesthouse.com.php53-27.dfw1-2.websitetestlink.com/listings/bulgogi-festival/

I have reuploaded the .htaccess file and am hosting this on Rackspace Cloud Sites. Here is what the .htaccess file contains:

# PHP Site Settings for Rackspace Cloud Sites
php_value max_execution_time 3600
php_value upload_max_filesize 100M
php_value post_max_size 220M
php_value memory_limit 256M
# End PHP Site Settings

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

• prescott
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I am also using the qTranslate plugin, which should enable the site to have /ko/listings/ for example when viewing in another language... However, the site still does not work (does not show listings) even when this is deactivated.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings prescott,

Thank you for this great question and bringing this significant issue to our attention.

Normally I would request that you go through standard troubleshooting protocol but you may have already found what is causing the issue and I would suspect the issue being caused by possibly custom post types conflict between the Directory plugin and the WP-Reservation booking system you have mentioned.

Please disable the WP-Reservation booking system to see if the Directory plugin straightens out and then of course in reverse to be sure you have successfully found the conflict.

Please advise as to your results.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings prescott,

Thank you for the additional input, it is greatly appreciated.

Today when I visited your submitted link I got a 404 error.

I was hoping that we could first figure out the back end settings problem and then go forward to the display issue taking the issues on one at a time.

Regarding the back end, have you noticed that Custom Press was installed with the Directory plugin?

Any chance you had Custom Press installed before adding the Directory plugin?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings prescott,

Thank you for the additional input, it is greatly appreciated.

Any chance the short code works without the spaces before and after the pipe character?

I tested this and it worked flawlessly:
    [dr_list_categories style="grid|list"]

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings prescott,

Thank you for your additional input.

What theme are you using?

I ask this because I cannot replicate this issue as shown here and in my screen shot below in which I am using the same short code that I posted above:
    http://directory.aecnuwpmu.us/

Please test to see if the short code shows temporarily switching to Twenty Eleven or even the theme provided with directory itself so we can be sure it is a theme issue, though I am almost 100% sure that is the case.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings prescott,

Thank you for your additional input.

What theme are you using?

I ask this because I cannot replicate this issue as shown here and in my screen shot below in which I am using the same short code that I posted above:
    http://directory.aecnuwpmu.us/

Please test to see if the short code shows temporarily switching to Twenty Eleven or even the theme provided with directory itself so we can be sure it is a theme issue, though I am almost 100% sure that is the case.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

prescott

On the short code. [dr_list_categories style="grid | list"] The | indicates an OR use one or the other.

[dr_list_categories style="grid"]
    [dr_list_categories style="list"]

the way you used it just default to a simple unordered list (

• ) style.
  • prescott
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Current Theme
    Responsive (By ThemeID)
    Version 1.7.2

I tried a theme switch to SimplePress from ElegantThemes.com and then switched into the default Twenty Eleven theme. Both produced the same error. Still no listing categories.

Also, the text in my page for listings now says

Welcome to the listings page. This is the English version.

[dr_list_categories style="list"]

BUT, that does not show the phrase in English anywhere on the page...
    And, why does it say "Blog Archives" at the top?
    For custom fields, "directory_page" has the value of "listings" in it.
    Slug for this page is "listings"

• prescott
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Just to see if I could recreate it, I went ahead and deleted the "Listings" page, which has /listings/ as the permalink. Oddly enough, the page is still showing up. So I think that has something to do with your plugin. When I disable the plugin, it pulls up the homepage, no 404 error. When I re-enable it, same thing with the misguided listings page showing my "Bulgogi Festival" sample listing. So I disabled it again, deleted it, and reinstalled it through the WPMU console. Still the same damn problem.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings prescott,

Thank you for your pursuit of this issue and input thereof.

As I demonstrated on my test production server there are no issues that I am aware of.

If there was something I had to do to make it work I would certainly tell you and obviously the lead developer Arnold as well, but it works for me out of the box.

Now it is time to go into full blown trouble shooting mode because it appears there may be some conflict here and one way to find out conclusively.

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting. You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Cheers, Joe

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

@prescott
    I think the problem is the automatic virtual pages that Directory makes to display certain things. The Listings page is one of those. No matter how you edit it the system reserves it for display a list of listings, Putting the shortcode on it is not going to show anything. There are other pages like that, the my listings page, Signin and signup Add Listing, Edit Listing etc. If you delete them they will just get remade.

Try making a page with some other name and using the shortcode on it. Most often users create a Home page and in Settings | Reading | Front page displays A static page (select below) and set the Home page as the Front Page. This would display the grid on the front page.

It mayne you also have other name collisions. The Post type reserves some names for it's archive pages. Permalinks have to be unique and collisions can caus all sorts of odd problems.

• prescott
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Oy, this is too complicated guys. Clearly you are using some references that are too generic if it is conflicting with other basic plugins. These things need to work together to build a basic site. I'll uninstall this before I start troubleshooting on a live site...

Here is what I'm using in case you decide to make this thing shine... All are essential for a private label CMS for a guesthouse / hostel site where employees need access to manage it for their boss.

Capability Manager
    Custom Admin Bar
    Directory
    Disable Comments
    Fast Secure Contact Form
    Google Maps
    Infinite SEO
    NextGEN Gallery
    NextGEN Gallery Optimizer
    qTranslate
    Ultimate Branding
    Ultimate Facebook
    W3 Total Cache <-- Just installed today, so I know this isn't it.

Otherwise I'm eliminating this from my list because it's too damn complicated to get it working out of the box. I would highly suggest not using "listing" as a database reference in the future, because there are too many potential conflicts for something like that. wpmu-listing or -whatever would be more appropriate, even for slugs guys.

Thanks for your hard work thus far.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings prescott,

Thank you for your additional input and thought there, it is greatly appreciated.

I do admit that I categorically disagree with some of your statements but arguing with you about them or pointing out the flaws within them will certainly not further the goal of resolving your issues and getting this plugin --> in combination with the other plugins, to work as you desire.

Therefore at this time I decline further comment and perhaps Arnold may have a trick up his sleeve to make this work but I have reached the end of my ability to help any further.

I am sincerely sorry that I cannot be of further assistance here.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings prescott,

Sorry for the delay in a reply here as I have recently returned from vacation and it appears that the person that was to follow up on my tickets is no longer part of the support staff.

However, as I mentioned earlier I have reached the end of what I can offer in an attempt to resolve these issues, but it is certain something is not right and as my test production server site shows the plugin is indeed working as expected.

In addition, it appears that you have not updated to the latest version, please update to the latest version and let us know what issues still remain if any.

Looking forward to hearing from you in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hi!

Just checking in :slight_smile:

I'm guessing that because we haven't heard back from you that you've got your issue worked out via live chat or email, or that we have reached the end of our convo here. If you are still having problems or need any other answers on this particular topic please feel free to come back to this thread at anytime. Just be sure to mark it Not Resolved so we don't miss it!

This ticket is only being Resolved due to lack of activity. It is by no means an action to avoid, brush off or minimize your issue. We are ready and here if you want to re-open at any time and I apologize in advance for any lack of communication if this ticket is being closed in error.

Thanks for being part of the WPMU DEV Community!

Best,
    Kimberly

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.