Cannot send private messages in BP 1.2.1, caused by Multi-db?

Hello,

I am using BP 1.2.1 WPMU 2.9.2, Multi-db 2.9 plugin, domain mapping, post-indexer, sitemaps & all-in-one MU, anti-splog, Google analytics, vipers video quicktags, recent global posts, akismet, cforms, exec-php, feedwordpress.

My users are able to use @mentions, update their profile, avatars and every other function of buddypress EXCEPT private messaging.

I keep getting There was an error sending that message, please try again whenever you try to send a message.

And I checked in wp_bp_messages_messages and it looks like no messages were created since i upgraded from bp 1.1.3 to 1.2

I was wondering if Multi-db was the reasoning for this.

  • Rich
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

    I do see this...

    [Wed Mar 17 18:14:50 2010] [error] PHP Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/sbn/public_html/wp-content/db.php on line 447

    [Wed Mar 17 18:02:52 2010] [error] PHP Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/sbn/public_html/wp-content/db.php on line 447

  • argh2xxx
    • The Incredible Code Injector

    Georgef, please ask your programmer what he did so you can do it yourself if he's not around, and do it as a favor for a fellow like me and many others on here by letting us know what the fix? Thanks so much.

    Andrew, can you look into this problem and find a fix? I think it's related to theme problem as I'm using bp social theme, and more of us have the same problem, this means it is not an isolated case! Thanks...

  • georgef
    • The Incredible Code Injector

    @argh2xxx here is what I know so far. This was the first problem that happened when I upgraded...

    Problem was your config for multi-db was pointing to a different db than the one you installed
    with. So I moved the config to point to it as it had all your member on it. I then had to make
    by hand the activity tables as well as configure the multi-db and wp-config to all sync up.

    No idea how that happened though?

    Then, with the messages...

    I fixed the messages. I needed to remove the old ones as they broke everything.
    All these errors can be avoided by next time keeping the same db name when you
    upgrade wordpress :wink:

    Does that help?

  • Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

    @Rich
    i upgraded to bp 1.2.2.1, but then bp-corporate has calls to bp_is_page() and i guess thats been taken out, so i got tons of errors. So i went back to 1.2.1

    work ok in my end..i'm using WPMU 2.9.2, BuddyPress 1.2.2.1 and bp-corporate 1.2
    what's your setup?

    @activity broken and private messaging not working
    this problem are related to DB wrong updates during either wp/wpmu upgrade or buddypress
    auto-update.

    so far i always do manual upgrade for both wpmu and buddypress.

    heya georgef, care to share the solution..i think argh2xxx had the similar problem
    in long run now..:slight_smile:

  • georgef
    • The Incredible Code Injector

    I contacted the programmer and he replied with this...

    You had a previous wpmu install but then installed a new wpmu install with a different multi-db.
    I then hand merged the new buddypress tables over to the old database to fix it. When I
    relied on buddypress to do it themselves after reseting the version of the tables as the key
    for buddypress to fix those tables they didn't! So a hand merge was required. Bottom line
    is it was an install issue to start AND then required the new buddypress tables to be in
    the global table for wpmu's multi-db setup.

  • Rich
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

    @Richie_KS I figured out what the errors were, and you are right, they were n't caused by bp 1.2.2.1 (I actually upgraded and all but the messaging worked fine)

    Update:

    My messaging problem did stem from changing servers and changing database names (like GeorgeF's programmer had said about his wpmu/bp install)

    Not really understanding what GeorgeF's programmer did (probably because his English isn't the best) I guessed that it had to do with a setting that buddypress was using to find the tables for messaging.

    First, I looked in my global and found the 4 tables that were for messages:

    wp_bp_messages_messages
    wp_bp_messages_notices
    wp_bp_messages_recipients
    wp_bp_messages_threads

    I then exported them using phpmyadmin and dropped them after I had my backup completed.

    I then looked in wp_sitemeta for the buddypress messages setting and found

    bp-messages-db-version

    figuring if I delete this (after copying down the meta exactly in case it really screwed something up)
    and then deactivate buddypress and re-activate buddypress, buddypress will think that it hasn't installed these and reinstall the messaging component.

    So I deleted it and deactivated then reactivated buddypress and went back into phpmyadmin and saw
    3 of the 4 tables were recreated (I'm assuming the threads table is not used) and so was the meta key.

    wp_bp_messages_messages
    wp_bp_messages_notices
    wp_bp_messages_recipients

    I attempted a message AND IT WORKED!!!!

    So I then took my backups of the three tables and inserted them into the newly created tables and now it works.

    Hope this helps someone else, it may not be the best way, but after struggling for about 3 weeks to figure out the issue, I'm just glad it works (and crossing my fingers that nothing else gets screwed up because of the move to a new server).

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.