Cannot Set Up Registration with Ultimate Facebook

Hi!

I tried to set up Ultimate Facebook so that users could register with Facebook.

On the registration page on our website, for our free membership option, when you click on the Signup option, the page changes so you see the registration fields and there is also a "Register with Facebook" button.

When you click the "Register with Facebook" button, the Facebook registration page appears to load/autopopulate correctly. However, when you click the "Register" button at the bottom, you get a message saying "Oops. Something went wrong. We're working on getting it fixed as soon as we can." (Please see attached screenshot.)

I have BuddyPress (which I added solely for the purpose of adding a field to the registration form for the non-Facebook users), Ultimate Facebook, and Membership 2 Pro.

I tried deactivating BuddyPress (to check for a possible conflict) but then I didn't even see a "Register with Facebook" option at all on the registration page.

When I go to Facebook -> Facebook Settings -> Facebook API, the green checkmark appears to say that it's successfully connected.

Please advise what I can do to fix this issue. Thank you!

Julie

• Julie
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I am still unable to register through Facebook. Now when I click on the “Register with Facebook” button at registration, I just get a white page that simply says “Register with Facebook” with no links or anything else.

Please advise what I should do to fix this issue.

Thanks,

Julie

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hi Julie,

I can confirm that this is not working now on your site, I could replicate this on my lab site. I've spoke with plugin developer to check this out, and there is problem on Facebook side that is causing this behaviour. This is probably related with fact that on 30th July, registration option in that form will be no longer supported by Facebook – therefore will be also removed from our plugin.

There is working option for using Facebook to login, and you can use it by this shortcode [wdfb_connect] – just make sure you check in Facebook Settings -> Facebook Connect -> Allow single-click registration (see screenshot).

You wrote, that you didn't need BuddyPress, but only for registration form. So you can deactivate it, and use Membership 2 pro form instead, combined with Facebook shortcode.

Like this: create new page in WordPress, put two shortcodes inside

[wdfb_connect]

[ms-membership-register-user]

and then set in Membership->Settings->General tab in " Membership2 Pages " that your new site is for Registration.

Let me know if this is working for you.

Kind regards,

Kasia

• Julie

Hi Kasia,

Thank you so much for your response!

A couple questions:

1) You mention that on 30th July, registration option in that form will be no longer supported by Facebook – does this mean that none of my customers will be able to register with Facebook after 30th July, or they just won’t be able to using that form?

2) I’ve had some issues with my registration page, but here is how it works right now (using BuddyPress for the additional fields):

a) Customer goes to a sign up page that lists our 4 membership levels (this is a custom page I created using shortcodes)

b) Customer clicks on one of the membership levels

c) Customer is taken to a page with a URL that ends like this: register/?membership_id=239

This is where they register and where the Register with Facebook button previously was

How do I add the Facebook shortcode to those pages? Are you saying that I need to create 4 new pages? I apologize for my confusion.

Thanks,

Julie

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hi Julie,

1) You mention that on 30th July, registration option in that form will be no longer supported by Facebook – does this mean that none of my customers will be able to register with Facebook after 30th July, or they just won't be able to using that form?

It's just the "old" button for registration will dissapear. But you should still be able to allow users register with the "Allow single-click registration" (now this is generated by [wdfb_connect] shortcode).

How do I add the Facebook shortcode to those pages? Are you saying that I need to create 4 new pages? I apologize for my confusion.

No, this is not necessary – when you set one page with shortodes form as registration page in Membership, the plugin will handle this by itself links "register/?membership_id=239" (see the screenshot).

But if you need to use Buddypress to have this additional fields in registration form, I have to contact plugin developer how can this be done with BuddyPress form (change the old button with new one – or it will be working with new version of Ultimate Facebook).

Kind regards,

Kasia

• Julie

Hi Kasia,

Thank you so much for your response & help!

Yes, I need to use Buddypress to have additional fields in the registration form (unless there is a better method for having additional fields).

Please advise what I should do.

Thank you!!!

Kind regards,

Julie

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hi Julie,

I have a quick fix for you, until the next release of UF. Follow this instructions

1. You need to create a directory: /wp-content/mu-plugins/

2. Next, create a PHP file. You can name it anything you want. Mine is named new-register-.php. The full path would look like: /wp-content/mu-plugins/ new-register-.php

3. Now add belov code, save your file and upload.

Code:

<?php

function custom_reg_embed_code() {
    echo do_shortcode('[wdfb_connect]Register with Facebook[/wdfb_connect]');
    }
    add_action( 'bp_before_register_page', 'custom_reg_embed_code');

When you do that, you will see that there is one more button in register form. So next step is to add CSS style, that will hide the old button. You can add it to your global styles in Spirit theme or use the https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/ plugin

a.wdfb_register_button {display: none !important;}

Let me know how this works for you.

Kind regards,

Kasia

• Julie

Hi Kasia,

Thank you!!!

I was able to add everything and make the old button disappear.

When I had someone register by clicking on the new button, I immediately received an email notification of a new registration. However, for the person registering, the screen seemed to get hung up in the registration process (see attached screenshot – I added the red circle). When they hit refresh, it took them to the next step in registration, but I'd rather it automatically get there without having to hit refresh.

Please advise what I should try next.

Thank you SO much for all of your help! I appreciate it so much!

Kind regards,

Julie

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hi Julie,

I tried to register on your site and everything went smoothly (few seconds, but not long) – is this happening every time?

Also – there is new version of Ultimate Facebook – can you update and see if this still occurs? (After update you may need to remove that changes I provide you with).

Kind regards,

Kasia

• Julie

Hi Kasia,

Thank you for all of your help!

I updated to the newest version of Ultimate Facebook. This gave me 2 facebook buttons so I went ahead and removed the previous changes that you gave me.

It isn’t getting stuck like before, which is great!

However, I’d like to change which page it goes to when someone registers with Facebook.

As of right now, a new potential member who wants to register with Facebook would:

1) Go to my sign up page, which I made with shortcodes – /gym-coach-sign-up/

2) Click on “Sign up now!” or “Buy now!” for the level they want, and be taken to the registration page for that level – register/?membership_id=268 (for example)

3) Click on the “Login with Facebook” button

4) Click “Okay” on the pop up

5) Be automatically taken to the main register page that I don’t use – /register/?wdfb_expand=true

It’s #5 I want to change. I want them to be taken to register/?membership_id=239&step=payment_table (for example) if it’s a level that requires payment OR to be taken to /registration-complete/?ms_relationship_id=957 if it’s the free level.

Does this make sense? What should I change?

Thanks again for all of your help, Kasia. I appreciate all that you’ve done!

Kind regards,

Julie

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hi Julie

There is no option in Ultimate Facebook that allows dynamic redirects (depending on id parameter given in the page url) – so this could require custom coding to change that behaviour.

Let me contact plugin dev to see if this is possible with some quick snippet code, and get back to you with answer.

Kind regards,

Kasia

• Julie

Hi Kasia

Hope you are doing well!

I wasn’t sure if you’d heard anything more about getting Ultimate Facebook to work with Membership 2 registration.

Also, I deactivated BuddyPress as it was not working with Membership 2 Pro (unfortunately). Now the Login with Facebook button is no longer working. I wasn’t sure if you knew why that might be?

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Julie

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hi Julie,

I’m waiting for the information about the Membership and the Ultimate Facebook – I’m sorry for the delay.

Also, I deactivated BuddyPress as it was not working with Membership 2 Pro (unfortunately). Now the Login with Facebook button is no longer working. I wasn’t sure if you knew why that might be?

Can you tell me when this happen? If I remember correctly BuddyPress registration was working before, yes?

Kind regards,

Kasia

• Julie

Hi Kasia,

Thank you for the update!

BuddyPress was apparently causing some problems with the registration form error messages (this was separate from the Facebook registration). That is the main reason why I deactivated it – I believe it was a couple of days ago. After I deactivated it, I noticed the Login with Facebook button was no longer working. I just checked, and it seems it is still not working.

Thank you for all of your help, Kasia! I really appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Julie

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Julie,

I’m back from vacations, so I’m sorting things out right now. This is now confirmed bug, so developer of both plugins are notified about this issue and hopefully fix will be provided soon.

I’m sorry I didn’t respond earlier but I was off-line for couple of days.

Kind regards,

Kasia

• Julie

Hi @kasia,

Thank you so much for your help!

I just checked, and it is still not working for me on my site. Btw, I have actually reactivated BuddyPress, but the problem with registering through Facebook appears to be the same as it was before (with the Login with Facebook button not working).

Kind regards,

Julie

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Julie,

I’ve just registered on your site with Facebook – you will see new user “helena_widerska” this is from facebook.

You had disabled option in Facebook settings “Allow single-click registration” – I enable it and it started to working. Can you check again?

Can you tell me how do you test this issue – do you have test facebook account for this?

Kind regards,

Kasia

• Julie

Hello Kasia,

I do see the new user and how you were able to register, which is really exciting!

However, I still am unable to do so. This morning I used a friend’s facebook account on my computer. I also had a co-worker try it on her computer. For both of us, when you click on “Login with Facebook” a pop up appears stating how it will receive the public profile & email address. We click okay. The “Login with Facebook” button disappears, but nothing else happens, and the user does not show up on the back end as registered (or as anything).

Any thoughts as to why this issue is happening or how it can be resolved?

Thanks so much for your help, Kasia!!!

Kind regards,

Julie

• Julie

Hi Kasia,

Quick update – we were able to get it to work, but only if the user was not already logged into Facebook. When we tried it before, we had already been logged into Facebook. Perhaps that is the problem?

Thanks,

Julie

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hi Julie,

This is weird, because I just tried again on browser where I’m logged in Facebook (and I used my normal account) and I was able to register – I have e-mail from your site for kasia_widerska user.

If I try now with account it just log me in.

What browsers and systems do you use to test it?

Kind regards,

Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.