Cannot translate the Mass Mailer plugin with Poedit

Greetings,

I tried to translate the Mass Mailer plugin using Poedit and the methodology you described in your article on plugin translation…

However, after uploading the updated language files it doesn’t work.

Here’s the exact process I followed :

1. Downloaded the “mass-mailer.pot” file on my hard drive. Opened it with PoEdit.

2. Set up the language to “fr_FR” (French translation)

3. Doing the translation within PoEdit.

4. Clicking on “Save”.

5. Uploading “mass-mailer-fr_FR.pot”, “mass-mailer-fr_FR.po” and “mass-mailer-fr_FR.mo” to the languages folder of the plugin (…wp-content/plugins/mass-mailer/massmailerincludes/languages.

6. Hard refresh of the page of the plugin.

And nothing changes, the language displayed is still english.

Please note that yes, I made sure the language was set to “fr_FR” in the wp-config.php files, and I also tried different variations with the naming of the files.

What am I missing ? Thanks a lot in advance for your help !

DJ

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @DJExp

I hope you had a great weekend!

I presume the language has also been selected in your site's admin under Settings (screenshot)?

Also, please upload the .mo and .po files to your wp-content/languages/plugins folder as that is not overwritten with plugin updates. If that folder does not yet exist, you can simply create it in your FTP client or cPanel File Manager.

Also, would you please double-check that the line in your wp-config.php is exactly as follows, and it is not commented out?

define('WPLANG', 'fr_FR');

Thanks!

• DJExp
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Patrick,

Thanks a lot for the extremely quick reply ! :wink:

I triple checked and yes, the line in wp-config is correct.

I also confirm that the language in settings is set to French.

About moving the files in “wp-content/languages/plugins” it make sense, I didn’t know it was possible. But how should I name the 3 files exactly ?

Please let me know, thanks a lot for your help !

DJ

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @DJExp,

Could you try network deactivating, and then network reactivating, Mass Email Sender?

I found that I had to do that on a test site of mine before the localization would take place (whether it’s in wp-content/languages/plugins or wp-content/plugins/mass-mailer/massmailerincludes/languages)

Please advise,

Michael

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @DJExp

I hope you are well today!

I just tested with a Spanish translation available from our translations area and the new language didn’t take on the first go.

However, deactivating and then reactivating the Mass Mailer plugin kinda kicked it in the teeth and everything in the plugin now shows in Spanish. :slight_smile:

Can you please try deactivating & reactivating your plugin to see if that works for you too?

Thanks!

• DJExp

Hi Michael and Patrick, thanks for your help !

So I tried deactivating and reactivating the plugin network-wide and it’s still in english…

Maybe there is something wrong with the .po file or the .pot file ?

Any idea ?

Do you need an access to check the files ?

Please let me know, thanks a lot again for your help !

DJ

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@DJExp

Please be sure you have only uploaded the .mo and .po files, not the .pot file as that can confuse your WordPress.

If you would like us to take a look behind the scenes, please email admin login and FTP details using the form here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select “I have a different question” from the dropdown, and include the following:

Subject line: Attn: Patrick Cohen

Site URL: ___________

Admin user: ______________

Admin pass: ______________

FTP URL: ____________

FTP user: ____________

FTP pass: ____________

Link to this forum thread: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/cannot-translate-the-mass-mailer-plugin-with-poedit

• DJExp

Hey Patrick,

I tried again with the removal of the .pot files, deactivated and reactivated the plugin again, but still no translation. I sent you a private message with all the access you required.

Thanks a lot for your help ! DJ

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @DJExp

I got your email with all the details and have set up a secure FTP connection to your server.

I see that the .mo & .po files are indeed correctly named and located in wp-content/languages/plugins in your agva16 site.

I also see that the language is defined and everything else appears correctly in French in your site’s admin.

Next step, I’m going to download your translated files to see if I can get them working on one of my own test sites. I’ll post again with the results of that. :slight_smile:

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@DJExp

Nope. Cannot get your translations working either on my test site.

Even after having edited the name, as I realized we had both named them incorrectly, duh!

The text domain is actually mass_mailer not mass-mailer (underscore not dash).

I then tried my own translation using PoEdit and that didn’t work either.

Every other plugin that I tested with worked just fine in various languages; for example BuddyPress & WHMCS Integration in French, Spanish, even Chinese. :slight_smile:

However, I also tested with a Spanish translation from our own translations area, and that worked immediately:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/translate/projects/mass_mailer

Would you mind please trying to create a quick translation there, and test the files that are generated?

In the meantime, I believe there may be something amiss in the Mass Email plugin that is preventing translations from working correctly. So I’ll see if our 2nd-level support team may have some insight to contribute here.

• DJExp

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your time. I did a quick french translation as per your request. Let me know if it’s working that way.

If that works better, I’ll translate a few other plugins that I need, so it’ll be helpful to the community as well.

Please let me know the next step as soon as you can. Thanks a lot again,

DJ

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @DJExp,

After some further digging, it looks like the .po & .pot files that come with Mass Email Sender have got a couple of bugs in them.

We’ll have to work on that, but in the meantime, I’ve cooked up a pair of translation files you can use, and attached the .zip file to this discussion.

(I’ve already entered the French translation strings you entered in the one you were using previously)

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Michael

• DJExp

Hi Michael,

Thanks for digging into that. It works with the new files ! I’ll finish the French translation, export the 2 files and it should work too, right ? I’ll let you know when it’s done.

For the next plugins I’ll use your translation system here, so that the translations benefits everyone.

Thanks a lot for your help,

DJ

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.