Can't complete backup

Hi,

I am trying to complete backup on a website that I manage. The website is hosted through Godaddy (unfortunately, I can’t change that …:wink: I already set max_execution_time to 300 but the backup times out after a while with the following error:

An unknown response returned from Snapshot backup attempt. Aborting. Double check Snapshot settings.

The website is large and hosting is slow. But how can I still accomplish backups in these circumstances?

• Juan
    • Flash Drive

Hi Anastasiya,

thanks for getting in touch with us.

This kind of issue is very common with GoDaddy managed hosting plans, this platform is really limited and has several issues.

I would like to take a look at your website to see if I can find a way to tweak the settings to be able to create a full backup.

Could you please grant temporary support access via WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin?

You can find detailed information about it here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Please do reply back here when access is granted because we don’t get any notifications about it.

Thanks,

Juan

• Anastasiya
    • Flash Drive

Hi Juan,

I granted support access.

I talked to one of the support guys in live chat. I updated wp-config file as per his recommendation.

I also tried running a once-off managed backup but it was stuck at 50% for 3 hours, so I guess it never completed.

If you can do anything to help with the backup – it would be great.

Thanks

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there Anastasiya,

hope you’re doing well and I apologize for the huge delay here.

As I need to have a better look and enable some debuggers, I will need some more access details. This is a public forum though, so you should send us your details through our safe contact form

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

using this template:

Subject: “Attn: Dimitris

– WordPress admin (login URL/username/password)

– (S)FTP credentials for file access (host/username/password/path of the website in question)

– GoDaddy credentials (username/password)

– link back to this thread for reference (e.g. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/example-topic)

– any other relevant urls

Keep in mind the subject line as ensures that it gets assigned to me.

Thank you,

Dimitris

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Anastasiya

Hope you’re doing well!

I’ve added the following lines in the wp-config.php file:

/* Snapshot Settings */
    define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 10);
    define('SNAPSHOT_TABLESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 100);
    define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_LARGE_FILE_SIZE', 104857600); //~100MB
    if (!defined('SNAPSHOT_FORCE_ZIP_LIBRARY')) define('SNAPSHOT_FORCE_ZIP_LIBRARY', 'pclzip');
    if (!defined('SNAPSHOT_IGNORE_SYMLINKS')) define('SNAPSHOT_IGNORE_SYMLINKS', true);

/*track all errors*/
    define('SNAPSHOT_BACKTRACE_ALL', true);
    define('SNAPSHOT_SYSTEM_DEBUG_OUTPUT', true)

Although after the first backup attempt, there was a 500 error, right after the Snapshot started backing up the plugins folder. And the snapshot.log showed the following warning:

There was an error processing the files

I’ve checked the folder permissions and they were set to 705, I’ve changed these permissions to 755 and run a new backup. I’m afraid the 500 error still showed up. I’ve changed the permissions back to 705.

I’ve excluded the folders wp-content/uploads/backupbuddy_backups and wp-content/uploads/snapshot from being backed up, since these are backup folders and they are too large.

I’m afraid the 500 error always showing up when backing up a plugins folder, so I’ve flagged our second level support developers so they can have a closer look

P.S.: Please update the Snapshot plugin to its latest version.

Have a good day and take care!

Cheers,

Nastia

• Konstantinos Xenos
    • Rubber Duck Debugger

Hi Anastasiya ,

You'll find a managed backup that has finished properly. I don't see any issues regarding Snapshot but the server sometimes returns this message breaking the process:

Snapshot isn't making that particular query so I can't be really sure from where that's coming from. It might as well be from another plugin or WordPress process that tries to run in parallel and since MySQL is breaking it also unintentionally breaks the backup process.

That's something that you should communicate with your hosting provider so they can check & repair your database if needed.

Tell me if you need further help with this.

Regards,

Konstantinos

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.