Can't connect via SMTP and help locating CRON settings

I have a shared GoDaddy hosting account. I understand there are some issues with their smtp outgoing servers, but I can't seem to get a positive connection test either. I don't know what a CRON job is or where to find the settings for it. Can you assist me?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

I don't know what a CRON job is or where to find the settings for it. Can you assist me?

A cron job is traditionally just a scheduler for nix based systems. It basically does what you want as you schedule it, like load a script to do something.

WordPress has a software cron, this is used for firing things like scheduled posts or in this instance the sending of emails in batches.

Sending them in batches will lower the resources you use in one go. Some hosts can get a bit snippy if you use too many resources at once.

I have a shared GoDaddy hosting account. I understand there are some issues with their smtp outgoing servers, but I can't seem to get a positive connection test either.

Can you connect to that SMTP server through a normal mail client like Thunderbird?

Does it require a special port? And did you include the port?

Take care.

• elpino

Greetings thesportdr let me see if i can help you with this.

I have a shared GoDaddy hosting account. I understand there are some issues with their smtp outgoing servers, but I can't seem to get a positive connection test either

When i was setting up e-newsletter i had problem having a positive test after hours i figure out it was the password the problem, try login in to that account via yourhost.com/webmail try the username and password, sometimes the login is the full email address, if you can login to it, change the password and try test again, the password cant have special characters, change the password untill it works if you had a sucesfull login via webmail, and dont use the secure settings they dint work for me only the regular settings worked.

I don't know what a CRON job is or where to find the settings for it. Can you assist me?

Enable cron: this a powerfull and important feature here, most of hosting companys have a email limit per hour or day in your case i was checkin godaddy website and they only allow 250 emails per account per day, this is a big limit, in my opinion if you gonna use your godaddy email to smtp email you gotta check cron better to devide the 250 between 24 hours.

Limit send: (CRON): 10

Emails per (CRON): set at hour , best choice here.

Like i said before this is a big limit, godaddy sells you extra relays for emails, others hosting companys have 500 limit per hour, if you gonna stick with this and you are thinking to buy more relay from godaddy is just cheapear to use your gmail account, or sign up for mailchimp account the free account permits alot. source of godaddy limits bellow.

http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/313/how-many-email-messages-can-i-send-per-day

http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/2949/workspace-email-account-limitations

Hope this helps you.
    Regards
    Alex

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.