Can't Create Globally Access Product Categories or share Products from other Child Blogs

COPIED FROM

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/marketpress-103

Can't Create Globally Access*ed* Product Categories or share Products from other Child Blogs

Posted on 15th November 2010 (18 hours ago) #

is there a way that i can create preset categories
Unfortunately no, taxonomies in wordpress are stored on a blog by blog basis. And there aren't the right hooks in wp to enable this, which is why no plugins exist like this for regular tags/cats.

Hi
Is this still the case? I want to create a giant category list on my main WPMU install and all the sub blog marketpress stores choose from existing categories.

If we cant share cats from blog to blog, does this mean we have to create the same sub cats on each related product store?

If the cats have the same name on different stores how do you refer to them with the [mp_list_global_products category=xxxx] shortcode? Being global would mean i can refer to other cats from other stores right?

Thanks for the help to my simple questions!
Cheers
John

Posted on 16th November 2010 (25 minutes ago) # Edit
Well, judging from the response it looks like you do have to input the same categories into each sub blog. No biggie

I have also found that if I enter the exact same category names in multiple blogs and then list products in that category the [mp_list_global_products category=xxx] works a treat.

Now I have another dilemma.

When I list products within a certain category it will list them. BUT if the products are within a sub-category of the stated cat it does not work.

If you want to list items by a cat name of RED it works.

If you want to list items by a cat name of COLORS it will not list any products in sub categories.

Is there a work around for this?

Cheers
John

Posted on 16th November 2010 (14 minutes ago) # Edit

it looks like the [mp_list_global_products] shortcode only lists products from the main WPMU install.
It does not list products from other child blogs.
Is there a workaround for this?

John