Can't edit any files, permission issue?

I have a client who I believe has a misconfigured server. I was developing on my 1&1 hosting and everything worked fine, as it always does. They asked that I move to their host, and since I did there seems to be a permission issue, and I don't know how to correct it. The built in editor in WP cant submit any changes, media cannot be uploaded, basically anything that requires write privileges can't be done. I chmod'd the theme folder to 777 so i can continue working, but I don't want to leave it like that. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

• Timothy Bowers

I was developing on my 1&1 hosting and everything worked fine, as it always does.

Really? :slight_smile:

I had to move a few servers away from them in a while ago. I guess they are getting better.

When nothing went wrong they were great value for money. But when I needed them to sort something out it was like pulling teeth. lol

The built in editor in WP cant submit any changes, media cannot be uploaded, basically anything that requires write privileges can't be done. I chmod'd the theme folder to 777 so i can continue working, but I don't want to leave it like that. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Ya sounds like a permission or ownership issue there.

Folders should be 755 and files 644, does that not work then? How is the server/host setup?

Which host is it, and is it not possible to speak with them regarding this issue?

I ask because they will know their setup best and should be able to fix any issues real quick.

Let us know how it goes.

• Parking

Really? :slight_smile:

I had to move a few servers away from them in a while ago. I guess they are getting better.

When nothing went wrong they were great value for money. But when I needed them to sort something out it was like pulling teeth. lol

1&1 has always been solid for me. I have used them for almost 6 years so I have an unlimited developer package...great for the money.

Folders should be 755 and files 644, does that not work then?

That's how it is setup, I spot checked the permissions and they are correct, but the issue remains.

Which host is it, and is it not possible to speak with them regarding this issue?

Its an in-house host running debian and apache. They have an IT guy to maintain it but he doesn't know why its not working. They have this issue as well as PHP forms (contact form7) not sending the mail. they don't error out they just never send the mail. This issue is spanned across multiple website and multiple developers, the only common denominator is the server. Thus my reaching out.

• Timothy Bowers

I was with them for a good few years as and they were great until there were issues on one of the servers. After a while I just left.

But that was a while ago now. :slight_smile:

is php setup with mail() ?

I think we would need to see the whole setup, so many variables can affect things here. suPHP, fast, other things which might be compiled, PHP version, etc, etc.

If they are hosting locally then I guess they are either in a datacentre or don't anticipate ever getting much traffic?

I think the best thing for them is either let you host it or hire a system admin to configure their server correctly.

Do you have access to their full setup? a phpinfo file as well?

Thanks.

• James Dunn

@Parking - I recently had an issue where I had everything working properly. Suddenly, I couldn't work with my most recently installed plugins and I couldn't do anything with the folders via FTP. After some deep investigation, we discovered that the "Owner" of the affected folders was set to NOONE. HMMMMM - somebody's gotta own the files and folders, so that was discovered to be the problem.

BTW, how did you move the WP installation from 1&1 to your current hosting? The reason I ask is I want to know the specific product you used to move it. I know of one that will give you the fits you've described sometimes.

Finally, in regards to 1&1, I guess they have gotten better. I left them many years ago. There wasn't really a problem with their hosting except to get them to help with something was like pulling teeth. Plus, they messed up on some billing and never would straighten it out. The continued to bill me for years saying that I owed them the money. I had all the documentation to show that it was their mistake, but they wouldn't budge. Personally, I have no use for their non-professional non-customer service.

Regardless, let me know how you moved the site.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• Parking

@timothy I have full access to everything, what do I need to find?

@jamesdunn I didnt use a product to move the site, I do it all manually. Its pretty easy:

1.Copy all files to the new server via FTP
    2.Export the mySQL database into a dump file (google is your friend on this one)
    3.Create a new empty db on the new hosting
    4.Update the wp-config.php file to reflect the new db info
    5.Open the .sql file in a text editor (I like notepad++ for this)
    a.Do a find an replace. your old domain info the for the new one
    6.Import the revised dump file into your new database

That's it!

The only thing is in order for that to go smooth you have to use absolute paths to the root or relative paths. Anything coded with http://yourolddomain.com in it(images, links, etc) will not work.

• James Dunn

@Parking - good deal - then you've eliminated the possibility of a backup/clone script causing your issue. I've moved sites manually (it's very easy when you have Navicat in your toolbox) and I've moved sites with several different backup/clone scripts.

Sometimes, I just like the ease of the backup/clone script, but there's one that is excellent at it's job, but occasionally (and I think it's related to a hosting setup) this particular script will assign the owner of the files as either NOONE or it will leave the ownership the same as the old install (which may not be what you want). Regardless, it can really screw up a solid WP installation.

I own about seven premium backup/clone scripts and I find that not all of them work in all situations. But, I'm rambling. Since you did it manually, then that part of the equation is eliminated.

I'm assuming that when you CHMOD'd to 777 that you could actually continue working. If that's the case, then the ownership is probably not an issue - although I would probably consider spot checking the folder and file ownerships just to be sure.

Out of curiosity, if you set the permission to 755 and 644 as originally outlined, does that actually happen? On one client's hosting, they were not allowed to set 755 (don't ask me why, their server engineer would not change it either). We had to set the permissions to 777 to work and then he had me set them back to what he wanted (I think it was 744, but I'm not 100% certain. I did notice that if I set the permission to 755, when I saved and checked, it was not 755, but was whatever level he had set it for. I'm not sure how he accomplished that, but that's the way it worked. Is that a possibility on this system?

• Timothy Bowers

@timothy I have full access to everything, what do I need to find?

Php info to check on the mail situation.

With regards to ownership/perms issue if there is nothing visible then it would take access and knoweledge on the setup. Really need a system admin for this sorta thing.

I usually have Centos for my OS so not overly familiar with Debian.

Did you check the ownership as well?

@James

Finally, in regards to 1&1, I guess they have gotten better. I left them many years ago. There wasn't really a problem with their hosting except to get them to help with something was like pulling teeth. Plus, they messed up on some billing and never would straighten it out. The continued to bill me for years saying that I owed them the money. I had all the documentation to show that it was their mistake, but they wouldn't budge. Personally, I have no use for their non-professional non-customer service.

Ya same thing here, support was bad. I once had to google and issue and tell them how to fix it over the phone. Pulling teeth is an understatement. They chased us for some billing issues, basically they billed me for services I hadn't had with them for months.

They persisted for what seemed like an eternity until I started writing letters in threatening legal action if they didn't stop. I had proof confirming I was in the right and then eventually they stopped.

Thanks.

• aecnu

Greetings Parking,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.