Can't edit global region

Header global region is in Fixed position and can't be edited with Upfront Editor because it is showing bellow all the other elements.

• James Morris

Hello Mario,

I hope you are well today. I'll be following up with you regarding your chat.

The problem was that your Post Data elements were added directly to the Main (header) global region. Also, the Title Post Data element had a padding-top of 190px. This was causing the issue with you not being able to edit the region.

Here's what I found:

* Post Data elements in Main (header) region: http://storage8.static.itmages.com/i/17/1130/h_1512028283_2776743_cc276513a4.png
    * Large padding-top on Title Post Data element: http://storage2.static.itmages.com/i/17/1130/h_1512028339_1648769_90c4190247.png
    * Title Post Data element after reducing padding-top: http://storage4.static.itmages.com/i/17/1130/h_1512028367_1642959_fd66e408a7.png
    * After reducing the padding, I could edit the Main region and add a Content global region below it: http://storage6.static.itmages.com/i/17/1130/h_1512028412_4544796_25e00c8367.png
    * I then dragged the Title and Content Post Data elements into the Content global region and resized the Main region: http://storage2.static.itmages.com/i/17/1130/h_1512028461_4501198_60a25b3ab3.png
    * Final display: http://storage3.static.itmages.com/i/17/1130/h_1512028519_8606529_dbc038a04d.png

This was all done on a quick sample page. So, this really needs done using Upfront Builder to edit the Single post/page templates.

I hope this clarifies a bit. Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• Mario

Hi James,

First of all, thank you for all your help. The issue is that UpFront is for beginners, those without coding experience. So my user actually managed to do all the thing you enumerated above. And myself and your colleague spent a few hours without understanding what's the issue. I am so happy that you figuring out, just wondering how long until the next user will do something similar, since the theme allows it. Fingers crossed will be a long time.

Now another thing, same user, same website. And that's even worse. The user lost the entire website! I am worried this time is a bug.

On the first email, the user said:

So I was updating my pages and the page called " Surrounding Areas" ended up being on all the pages so I tried to amend this and ended up losing my home page which now says Bars and Dining - please help.

And a second, after asking for details:

OK I was adding YouTube videos to the Surrounding area page and updated it to find it was on all pages. While trying to fix this problem I thought I would add a slideshow from YouTube to the homepage. I clicked update and Bars and dining ended up being the homepage.

Once again, thank you for all your support!

Best regards,
    Mario

• James Morris

Hello Mario,

When creating a page, if you edit outside the Post Content and Post Title elements, when saving it prompts you to save "Only for this page" or "For all pages of this type". If the member selects "For all pages of this type" whatever changes were applied would be applied to every page that uses the single post type template. This could include the homepage.

The only way to be 100% certain of what is going on though would be to have a screencast available that shows what the user is doing, then check the pages on that specific site.

Would you be able to instruct the member on how to use a piece of software like Monosnap (Windows OS) or equivalent so we can get a better idea of what they are doing? Also, could you provide the link to the site in question and enable Support Access?

Best regards,

James Morris

• Mario

Hi James,

No, she cannot replicate the issue again.
    But I know this happened to me as well, while I was creating a website, a few months ago. After creating the main page, I have created a second page and put a link to it from the main page. I followed the link, the builder loaded on the new page, I've made some changes to it, and when I updated the page I've noticed that the content on the home page was replaced by the page I was working on. Was a weird thing, and only happened once. I started rebuilding the home page from scratch and that was it. But somehow there's a glitch somewhere (unfortunately can't say what triggers it)

The site is the same as the above, you should already have access as admin and also to ftp.
    But not sure that my description of the issue is of any help.

Best regards,
    Mario

• James Morris

Hello Mario,

I'm afraid I'm unable to replicate the symptom you are describing. And since this was a one-time thing an you haven't been able to replicate it, it's a bit difficult to track down what might have happened on that isolated event.

At this point, I'm afraid there's not a lot I can do to troubleshoot that issue because neither of us can replicate it and there's no log of it. So, I'm afraid we're going to have to revisit that issue if it resurfaces.

Here's what I need you to do if this comes up again:

- Note the exact steps taken prior to the symptom appearing.
    - Note the page being edited.
    - Note the pages altered after editing the other page.
    - Don't revert the changes. Leave it as-is.
    - Contact us immediately through Live Support so we can debug the issue directly.

We will be more than happy to dig into this issue deeper for you.

Best regards,

James Morris

• Mario

Thank you James,

I tried a couple of times, but I couldn't replicate that myself either. Again, as I mentioned before, it happened to me as well.

I think the issue is/was because of the urls.

I was following the url from a link on the content of the homepage.
    So, I was getting something like website.com/new-page/?editmode=true
    While if you follow the steps of editing a page from the left sidebar, you will edit the page on a url like website.com/edit/page/1234.

Hopefully will never happen again. Thank you for all your support!

Best regards,
    Mario

• Mario

Hi James Morris
    James,
    Another user said he just lost the content of the home page, after updating another page.
    This time I asked the user to explain exactly what he did, and I also asked him to stop working on the blog until we find the issue.
    The blog that lost the home page has the id 2208, and was using the blog-template from ID 87.
    According to the user, he edited the text on the home page. Added photos, a map on the home page. Then a couple of different text parts.
    Then saved the page and instead of clicking on the left sidebar on Posts/Pages, the user clicked on the About link on the menu element. The user can't confirm, but from what I have experienced before, he was redirected to website.com/about/?editmode=true
    (Note: The template had a default menu and the About Us, Contact us pages created. The user doesn't need to create those, just to edit their content.)
    The user modified the About page and then hit Save. After that he went back on the home page and saw that all the content was lost, being replaced with the content of the About page.
    And now, when trying to click on the About link in the menu, the behaviour was different. Now, instead of being redirected to the About page, the option of editing the text and the Settings gear were in place.

The website is untouched since the error. Also, the support access is granted and the credentials for wp-admin, ftp, cpanel are unchanged.

Thank you for all your support!

• James Morris

Hello Mario,

And now, when trying to click on the About link in the menu, the behaviour was different. Now, instead of being redirected to the About page, the option of editing the text and the Settings gear were in place.

This is actually the correct behavior. You should not be able to navigate links inside the Upfront Editor. If you could before, it was likely due to an older version.

Navigating text links inside the Upfront editor should not happen because of how the editor stores sessions and data. I can see now why the homepage was being overwritten. But I'm afraid I cannot reproduce because I cannot click on text links inside the editor.

The correct way to load new pages inside Upfront editor is to use the Posts/Pages link in the left toolbar after saving the work on the current page.

Please instruct the client to only use this menu item when switching pages/posts inside Upfront editor.

I hope this clarifies a bit. Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help!

Best regards,

James Morris

• Mario

Navigating text links inside the Upfront editor should not happen because of how the editor stores sessions and data. I can see now why the homepage was being overwritten. But I'm afraid I cannot reproduce because I cannot click on text links inside the editor.

Hi James Morris
    So navigating text links inside Upfront is still possible. My user just did it yesterday. And this was just a confirmation of what I mentioned in one of my previous posts - that this behaviour makes the home pages disappear. I can tell the user not to do that anymore, but another one might do it tomorrow.
    OK, so something is clarified: that's the reason why we lose the home pages. But that's the fix?

Please instruct the client to only use this menu item when switching pages/posts inside Upfront editor.

Telling everyone to avoid clicking on those links that are navigable even if they shouldn't be? That's the fix? And what if they still click?

Regards,
    Mario

• James Morris

Hello Mario,

The client *shouldn't* be able to navigate links inside the Upfront editor. This is the part that is concerning. If a link were active, trying to navigate away from the current screen *should* result in a warning that would have to be dismissed. Upfront shouldn't allow them to follow these links as it will compromise the data.

Would it be possible to provide me with access to a site that is currently displaying this symptom so I can investigate further. I certainly do not want your clients to have to worry about this and if it is a bug, we need to identify it ASAP.

Please visit the Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

Subject: "Attn: James Morris"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Hosting Control Panel Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

~OR~

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

Best regards,

James Morris

• Mario

Hi James Morris,
    I've sent you the log in details.

The last blog that lost the home page has the id 2208, and was using the blog-template from ID 87.
    Still, I cannot replicate the issue.

As you said, the normal behaviour is back in place. I have created other test websites, but I could not replicate the issue on any of them. It happens randomly.

Not sure how much of help is this to you

Regards,
    Mario

• James Morris

Hello Mario,

Thank you for sending those details. Both myself and one of our Dev Team have both taken a look at your site. Like yourself, we were not able to reproduce the symptom. This is rather problematic since, in order to debug the issue, we have to be able to reproduce it consistently. Otherwise, it's an anomaly and likely limited to something on the end-user's side rather than in software.

After consulting with our Dev Team, the suspicion is there may be something interfering or slowing the rendering of the JS libraries on the client side that would allow for this temporary ability to click the links. While this is a long shot as there would normally be far more problems than this if that were the case, it seems to be the only possibility we can find without being able to reproduce the issue.

Our Team has been notified of this report and has agreed to review the code related to menus and see if there is anything at all they can do to "tighten" it up a little more with additional checks and such, but at this time, I'm afraid there's no workaround I can offer at this point because the client should not be able to click-thru those links ever.

But, our Team will review this and see if there's anything at all we can do to improve this.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.