can't get a domain to map with domain mapping plugin

I have several sites mapped through Domain Mapping. can't get a new site to map. keep getting error message that the "domain can't be reached, sometimes it takes 72 hours, blah blah blah," I've been trying for four days. any suggestions would be appreciated. I've pointed the domain to the correct IP.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Ed,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Since I don't know about the domain you are trying to map, I can't check and test it and having no access to your site I'm not able to check it either. Therefore my initial suggestion would be to:

1. make sure that the "domain to be mapped" loads the main site of your Multisite when typed into the browser address bar.

If it doesn't, you will most likely want to setup a "root folder" (sometimes referred to as "document root" as well) for the "domain to be mapped" to be the same as the "root folder" for your main domain.

That is, if the domain is hosted on your server. If it's not and only points to your server via IP set in DNS A record, then make sure that the root folder for your dedicated IP is set to be the same as "root folder" for your main domain.

One way or another, before being added to Domain Mapping, the "domain to be mapped" should load the main site of your multisite network.

2. If above works, please go to the "Network Admin -> Settings -> Domain Mapping" page and make sure that following option is disabled: "Check domain propagation before mapping". If that doesn't help either, disable the "Verify domain's DNS settings" as well.

Give it a try please and let me know if it worked for you.

In case it didn't help, please let me know about domain name of the "domain to be mapped and to which sub-site of your network would you like it to be mapped to. Also, please grant me a support access to your site so I could take a closer look. This is described here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Ed
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you Adam,
    The domain is: winecountrymechanical.com
    the subsite is: bluegrasscreative.com/wcm1/

Nothing worked but disabling 'verify domain's DNS settings' - sort of worked, it's giving me a different message now, which is Health Status 'invalid'

Access is granted.

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there Ed,

hope you're doing good and don't mind me chiming in! :slight_smile:

I tried this:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/solution-domain-mapping-health-status-invalid
    and it fixed the invalid msg on edgoble.com, but did not work for winecountrymechanical.com

So did you try to delete the mapped domain and remap it with no avail?

As my colleague Predrag mentioned in his previous reply, there's a "coming soon" page whenever we try to reach either the mapped domain or the IP directly.

Could you please contact your hosting provider on this? They should be able to check this for you, as long as your DNS settings of winecountrymechanical.com

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.