Can't get categories navigation bar to work

When I click on my Navigation Menu, top line which is categories. I get this message.

Sorry, we can't find the content you're looking for at this URL. Please try selecting a menu item from above or to the side of this message to get where you'd like to go.

I can not figure this out. I have posts there.

Here is my site

http://www.goshorngooddeal.com/wordpress/

I have tried reseting the permalinks, removing the categories, changing the permalinks, deleting the posts and re-posting them,

I could also use a tutorial on some of the features. I am hoping that developer might be able to skype with me on thursday to walk me through a few features quickly.

Please help, very frustrated.

Thanks in advance.

DavidM

Hello jamiegoshorn and welcome to WPMU DEV!

Just to rule this one out, could you see what happens when you reset the permalinks to default?

A couple other checks, did you have any troubles with the default Twenty Ten theme? And do you have any other plugins affecting permalinks?

Regarding communicating with the theme developers, there's a number of scheduled live support chats provided on-site, detailed at the following, though we'll gladly see what we can do to help out through the forums as well:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/live-support/

Cheers,
    David

jamiegoshorn

Hi David,

Thanks for getting back to me quickly. I have set the permalinks to default and the top menu bar works. However, then I get the 404 error message for the buddypress navigation bar. So I switched it back.

I am not sure if I have any plugins effecting permalinks. Here is the list of plugins I currently have active:

Add Existing User -------Active
    Affiliate
    Akismet -------Active
    Auto Group Join
    Automessage
    Avatars For Multisite -------Active
    AWeber Integration -------Active
    AWeber Registration -------Active
    AWeber Web Forms -------Active
    BP Group Email -------Active
    BP Member Map -------Active
    BP User Profile Map -------Active
    BuddyPress -------Active
    BuddyPress Auto Group Join -------Active
    BuddyPress Group Calendar -------Active
    BuddyPress Sitemap Generator
    Chat -------Active
    Easy Privacy Policy -------Active
    Featured Member Widget -------Active
    Hello Dolly
    Jetpack by WordPress.com -------Active
    Members Directory -------Active
    Membership Premium -------Active
    Popover plugin -------Active
    SexyBookmarks (by Shareaholic) -------Active
    Signup TOS
    Simple contact form
    Sitewide Privacy Options for WordPress Multisite
    Social Media Widget -------Active
    Test Head Footer
    WPMU DEV SEO -------Active
    WPMU DEV Update Notifications -------Active

I have started the build in this theme. I have changed to other themes to see if that helps. When I change to other buddythemes I still get the same result.

I have also started another thread becuase I am having problems with posting topics in forums. I don't want you to solve this problem in this thread, I just thought it is good info for you to know. Just in case the issues are related. Here is the link to that thread.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/buddypress-forums-error-when-creating

Right now I have the permalinks set on month date

I just switched to the twenty ten theme. The navigation seemed to be working fine. However the buddypress function of this site did not seem to be working.

Thanks again for your help, I look forward to having this issue resolved so I can continue building the site.

DavidM

I should have noticed you were using BuddyPress. Just to make sure we've got this one covered, have you tested out the permalinks issue with the default BuddyPress theme?

Some folks had a bit of trouble with permalinks when upgrading to the 3.1 version of WordPress and I'm wondering if this might be related. Could you let me know which versions of both WordPress and BuddyPress you're using?

BuddyPress requires "pretty" permalinks, or non-default permalinks, so that would explain the 404s on BuddyPress pages when permalinks are set to default. But since the permalinks issue isn't prevalent with default permalinks, I'd say we've got this narrowed down to a pretty permalink issue.

The best way to rule out any possible plugin conflicts with permalinks would be to deactivate them all then check your category links on site to see if they work with your non-default permalinks. It would be best to test this using Twenty Ten as a theme at first. If that works, you could then activate BuddyPress and switch to the default BuddyPress theme and check the category links again.

From there, you could activate the plugins one by one to see which, if any, is causing the permalinks issue.

jamiegoshorn

Buddypress 1.2.8

Wordpress 3.1.1

I deactivated all plugins and it still have the same problem and checked in both themes and nothing changed.

I have also moved the website since lastnight.

The new website is http://executivenetworkingalliance.com/

How do we fix the permalinks? This is so frustrating. I really appreciate all of your help. I am trying to get this problem fixed by tomorrow night. I have a major deadline to get this done by and it is holding me up.

jamiegoshorn

I just tried the default buddypress theme and the categories don't show up in the menu even after I have added them. Just to explain in a little more detail, I added them in the back end of wordpress to the menu. Then checked the actual site and nothing showed up. I tried with the plugins on and off, clicking them back in one by one. Nothing Changed. The category links do not work I still get the same error. Except for the about page. That one defaults the the page not the category. Please help I can not figure out what setting I have wrong or if it is a problem in the code. I have tried all the different permalinks except a complete custome one.

Again, Thanks for your help. I am hoping to get this issue resolved by 11:00PM EST tonight to meet my deadline

Mason

Hiya jamiegoshorn,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem
    was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this
    thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not
    Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU
    DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of
    assistance in the future.

Thanks!