can't get EB to let users edit existing Pages

Hi All:

finally getting to the end of production on this nonprofit client site:
http://few.modernmediajapan.com/

plugins: Easy Blogging and User Role Editor

Board Members who are restricted under Easy Blogging should still be able to edit other people's Pages and Posts and they cannot: they can only View or Trash.

I've attached screenshots of:
How the EB Pages dashboard looks: the blue titles can be edited, the black titles cannot, and they need to be editable by Easy Dashboard users.

Easy Blogging plugin settings

User Role Editor settings; the developer tells me that if I have Edit Posts & Edit Pages checked for this role, then the user should be able to do so, and that I need to look to the EB settings to see what's wrong.

I so want to finish this site, but this is a major issue, and I'm sure you can figure out what I've done wrong. Help! thanks so much,

best,

Terri

• aecnu

Greetings Terri,

After looking over your screen shots I noticed in the first two that the author few has privileges to edit etc. and that persons posts are in blue.

What role is the few have assigned?

When making this screen shot were you logged in as the few?

I also noticed that all the posts in black the author is fewtm.

What role is fewtm?

If logged in as fewtm do fewtm's posts turn blue and editable while tm's posts turn black?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• tokyoterri

Hi Joe:

Thanks for responding so quickly:

I am logged into the Board Member role, which is 'few', in Chrome.
    I made the Pages while logged into my Administrator role, which is 'fewtm'

I always use two browsers when I'm doing this kind of work. So, the Pages that I created as 'fewtm', need to be editable by 'few', In other words, the Pages that I create as the site Administrator need to be editable by Board Members.

The logic is that once I create a Page, the Board Member can change it as they need to without checking with me, or worse, needing me to make their changes for them.

hope that make sense.

I am going to work, so may not be able to respond for a few hours.

If you need to log into the actual site, please let me know the email to use and I will send you the login.

Thanks!

best,

Terri

• aecnu

Greetings Terri,

Thank you for the additional feedback and clarification, it is greatly appreciated.

I always use two browsers when I'm doing this kind of work.

You have got it right and together on this procedure.

The logic is that once I create a Page, the Board Member can change it as they need to without checking with me, or worse, needing me to make their changes for them.

Certainly I will take a look inside and see if I can spot why but you may be better served by creating a new few account and logging in as a few, make a post with the new account, and see if you can edit the post with a different few account.

The reason why I am suggesting this is because I believe that because the post is created by an admin account, it will not let a lessor account modify it no matter what we do with the role editor.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• tokyoterri

Hi Joe:

I think you might be right about the Admin account: didn't realize that when I created the pages.

So now I need your help with another way to handle this:
    1. I will create new pages for the menubar as 'few'(Board Member). So, in other words, this page: http://few.modernmediajapan.com/about/strategic-partners/ which was made by 'fewtm'(Admin), will be replaced by a new Page, made by 'few'.

2. because the Scholar theme doesn't have dynamic menus, the developer had to hand code the Pages that are in the menubar now. He is on his honeymoon, and there is no way for me to reach him so that he can replace the current http://few.modernmediajapan.com/about/strategic-partners/ (made by 'few') with the new one I am going to create (made by 'fewtm').

3. can you please take a look at the site and figure out where I need to change the menubar url? The actual url will be exactly the same, because I'll delete the old one. but I need to be sure the menubar points to the new page.

does that make sense? It's the only way I can guarantee that each Board Member (same privileges in Easy Blogging as 'few'), will be able to edit their pages: I will just recreate each page in each person's EB dashboard. then they can edit and we can take it from there.

but those newly created pages have to replace the current pages in the menubar.

thanks so much for your help,

best,
    Terri

• tokyoterri

sorry, I was typing too fast: #2 should be:

2. because the Scholar theme doesn't have dynamic menus, the developer had to hand code the Pages that are in the menubar now. He is on his honeymoon, and there is no way for me to reach him so that he can replace the current http://few.modernmediajapan.com/about/strategic-partners/ (made by 'fewtm') with the new one I am going to create (made by 'few').

• aecnu

Greetings Terri,

The first thing I would do before beginnign this process would be to make a full backup with my hosting control panel for "just in case" moments.

The way to do this and be precise without losing anything will actually be in the slug of the page needing to be identical to the old one and all should go well :slight_smile:

I have attached a screen shot of the page slug marked in red.

To have the least amount of trouble and maintain the current structure I would first copy the content of the page using the html tab to a notepad document assuring that the html is kept in tact if there is any to include the title of the page which actually determines the slug content though the slug is editable to some degree.

After making the copy to notepad or other text editor that does not change the content I would delete the old page and empty it from the trash because if it is in the trash and not completely deleted WordPress will not allow the slug to be created exactly the same.

I would then create the new page as the applicable level making sure the Title and slug match the old page. The slug of course being the most important but if the title is identical as the old page then the slug should follow.

Rinse and repeat until complete.

Please advise how this works out for you.

Cheers, Joe

• tokyoterri

Hi Joe:

looks like it worked! thanks so much - I'm going to continue to do the same with the other pages now.

best,
    Terri

ps: one thing that I noticed, as well, is that there doesn't seem to be a way to set the template of each page (i.e., Right Sidebar, Left Sidebar, etc). when creating the page: I have to set the template using QuickEdit, or else I get the Default Template, which acts strangely, with the sidebar dropping down below the Page. any idea why that might be? I don't mind training my users to use Quick Edit, but it would be more efficient if they can choose the template when they write the Page...

anyway, thanks again!

• aecnu

Greetings Terri,

I am happy to hear that we got the last issue resolved.

Since our last conversation there has been a major update to the Easy Blogging plugin to version 3.2.1 which lists the following fixes with version 3.2+

- Fix for quoting issue.
    - Fix for wizard page redirects on non-CPT pages.
    - Fix for stylesheet conflicts.
    - Fix for roles instantiation.
    - Added BLOG_PATH and LOGOUT_URL macros.
    - WordPress 3.4 compatibility update.

Since we have resolved the original issue in this ticket, if you indeed have any issues after updating Easy Blogging, please open a new ticket for this one is a mile long.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.