Can't get Group URLs to work... or am I screwing it up?

I've been setting up Group URLs to control who can see what on my new forum site. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work - at all! Perhaps I misunderstand what this thing is supposed to do, or have screwed it up entirely. Here's an example of the problem:

https://skitch.com/internetmarketing/eqtps/sustaining-member-group-home-ufo-ext-forum-1

Here's a screenshot of the Group URL I set up to supposed protect the URL in question:

https://skitch.com/internetmarketing/eqtqp/membership-url-groups-ufo-ext-forum-wordpress

Please advise!

TX.

• karl_s
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ohhhhhhhh!

OK. That makes sense. I think...

So let me understand this (maybe). The URL Groups are simply for grouping the the URLs you want to protect, but you have to use the Access Levels to actually hide them?

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

erm, yes and no....

There are two ways to hide items. Groups are pretty much 100% access or no, so you would not need a url group to protect that. But! Say you had a blog category that you allowed access to a particular level, but you wanted to do a special series in that category about how to train your dog to sit, and use it to get folks to upgrade. You could protect the url group of anything category/sitdogsit/partx

It's much more useful than digging into the actual posts and protecting each one by one via the post protection rules in the access level menu.

Does that help?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya @karl_s

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Did you know we offer FREE lifetime memberships? Click here to learn more.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.