Cant get it working

Hi,

For starts, I'm just trying to take the posts from one domain, and feed them to another. Doesn't work. I enter my feed URL, then select the Add posts to URL. I also set processing to every 30 minutes. The error comes up every 30 minutes.

The debug is showing
• Error: XML error: Reserved XML Name at line 1, column 38

Please advise.

• alberti
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hiya,

I still can't get the basic functionality to work. I fixed the blank lines in the feeds. I'm still trying to do something very simple:

Feed URL: worries.me
    Add posts to: buber.me

I tried reposting new content, reprocessing, but no success.

Please advise.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya alberti,

When I subscribed to that feed I get 'No access to this content'. Seems there's some sort of privacy setting that is blocking the content from being published. Are you running a membership plugin or something else on the feed URL site?

If you can subscribe to the feed through RSS - autoblog should work, but as there still isn't any content autoblog has nothing to pull in.

Thanks!

• alberti

Hiya,

I'm having multiple conflicts as I setup the Membership plugin along with Autoblog.

a) When I activate the Membership plugin, without setting any levels, I get rss feed problems with Autoblog.
    b) Also permission problems are there, no access content errors starts showing up in feeds.

Is your Membership plugin compatible with Autoblog?

Second question: After testing my engineer claims that Autoblog is not intended to do the following. The blog post content of worries.me (the main middle area) cannot reappear at buber.me in the main middle area. In other words, he claims he cannot successfully direct the content of one blog to another within multisite, so that it appears as if these posts were originally posted to both sites.

The only thing that works is the RSS feed in Autoblog, at Guidelines.Me. And the only way this works is to deactivate the Membership plugin.

Your help is most appreciated.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya alberti,

I'll ask our development team to look into a possible conflict between the membership plugin and autoblogging. Can you disable the membership plugin on worries.me and see if you can then access the RSS feed?

The blog post content of worries.me (the main middle area) cannot reappear at buber.me in the main middle area. In other words, he claims he cannot successfully direct the content of one blog to another within multisite, so that it appears as if these posts were originally posted to both sites.

This is incorrect. Assuming a valid feed is sent from worries.me autobog will create new posts on buber.me - they'll be displayed wherever the theme is calling for your posts.

Thanks!

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

When I activate the Membership plugin, without setting any levels, I get rss feed problems with Autoblog.

What settings do you have in the options of the site you activated membership on?

The blog post content of worries.me (the main middle area) cannot reappear at buber.me in the main middle area. In other words, he claims he cannot successfully direct the content of one blog to another within multisite, so that it appears as if these posts were originally posted to both sites.

If you ssh into your server, what happens when you type ping buber.me? If you get the error "Host name can't be resolved" then you don't have DNS set up on your server and you will need to edit the hosts file on the server to add in the relevant ip address and hostnames for the sites you want to access.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Then I suggest he doesn't understand what Autoblog does :slight_smile:

• alberti

Guys, I have one giant multi-site network with hundreds of domains and subdomains. When I installed the membership plugin, it covered all the domains, as users by default have access to all the domains. They get an account through the install domain.

I have a second multi-site network. On that network is a domain called guidelines.me. Right now, the RSS feed for autoblog works, as you will see, from one multi-site network to the other. However, the only way we could get it to work was by deactivating the membership plugin.

Can you please tell me if the membership plugin conflicts with autoblog?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya alberti,

I'm wondering if you posted the same time as Barry did above. Can you check out his responses and provide the option settings you have for membership? We'll gladly look at this with you, but will need more information as the membership plugin has tons of options that we'll want to make sure are set correctly.

Thanks!

• alberti

Hiya Mason,

I had read all of Barry's responses then posted. I literally had NO settings on membership, just activated it. I did try to redirect worries.me to buber.me, as discussed, but that was it. Otherwise, just default settings.

Thanks.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya alberti,

Thanks for answering the question We'll have to take a look into this and see if there's a conflict - but as to the original question here, you are able to get everything working with Autoblog correct? It is only when activating Membership as well that the trouble begins?

Thanks!

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi alberti,

We've notified the developers and we'll get this sorted as quickly as possible, but I just realized you may have Membership set to use the global database table, which may help in finding the issue here.

Would you happen to know if that's the case? The option for that would be set in the the membership-config.php file, where the global table value would be set to TRUE.

Could you let us know that?

Thanks,
    David

• alberti

We're definitely using global tables, that's how we had to get it set up in the first place. The membership plugin alone works fine, we can create levels and exclude members from access to a list of blogs, which as I recall was not possible without global tables.

• alberti

Guys, I WILL STAND NAKED IN THE MIDDLE OF NEW YORK CITY WITH A PREMIUM DEV t-shirt, if this would help encourage an answer here! I am really stuck and need to figure this out. I either have to dump one of the two plugins, autoblog or membership, or fix what is broken.

Would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks!

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Membership protects the feeds and autoblog doesn't have login capability effectively, so it'll see the protected feed which is correct.

If you want it to be able to read a protected feed you'll need to give it the protected / authenticated URL. If you login as a member who can see the feed and view the source of the page, or click to open the feed you'll see a key appended to the end of the URL, this effectively authenticates a user. Put this full URL in autoblog (with the query string) and it will be authenticated as the user and thus get the posts.

Hope that made sense? :slight_smile:

• alberti

Barry,

Can you please clarify? My entire network is totally open. Anyone can read, but only if you are logged in can you blog. I went to domain.com/feed but only got a subscribe button, I didn't see a key. Where would I find it?

Thanks!

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

If you visit your site when you are not logged in then your RSS feed url may be something like:
    http://dev.site/feed

login as someone who has access to the site and it will change to

http://dev.site/feed?k=e58ce9832e6ab633b0daf41ca06e4e0c

The k= authenticates a user so that they can subscribe to that feed in something like google reader or their desktop rss feed reader and get the posts they are allowed to without needing to login every time.

Autoblog is the same as a user, if you want it to read RSS feed posts then it must have either it's own user account and thus an authenticated feed url, OR you have to login as a user that can read the posts you want to import and use that users authenticated feed url within autoblog.

• alberti

I'm logged in as SuperAdmin and tried on three different browsers, but none showed what you suggested. There was nothing after the /feed. On Google Chrome, I got a detailed error message saying there was membershipnoaccess. Please advise.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I'm logged in as SuperAdmin and tried on three different browsers, but none showed what you suggested. There was nothing after the /feed.

Membership isn't run when you are logged in as a membership admin user (one who can see the membership admin menus) - you need to log in as a member with the rights to that content.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.