Can't get multi-db working, tried over and over...!

I'm trying to get my multi-db working and I swear I've followed every step and have tried with a fresh wordpress multisite..

I was wondering if any staff member could look at my installation and tell me what I've done wrong?

I got a subscription to WPMU Dev mainly for this plugin.. And I can't get it to work for the life of me :slight_frown:

• Tyler

I have configured the plugin and uploaded the required files as set out in the instructions.

However when i try to load the /wp-admin/ I get the following:

Can’t select database

We were able to connect to the database server (which means your username and password is okay) but not able to select the hornypre_wp_global database.

Are you sure it exists?
          Does the user hornypre_wp have permission to use the hornypre_wp_global database?
          On some systems the name of your database is prefixed with your username, so it would be like username_hornypre_wp_global. Could that be the problem?

If you don't know how to set up a database you should contact your host. If all else fails you may find help at the WordPress Support Forums.

Any screenshots or information further than this would require you to view the settings file which has secure information such as database user/pass.

I need someone to view why the plugin is not working when I followed all the instructions, and I need to give administrative access to my server and wordpress installation to show any more.

I'd appreciate if you did make available a way to provide this sensitive information so that a staff member can view why the plugin is not working.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Tyler,

Thank you for your reply.

We can definitely resolve the issue.

We were able to connect to the database server (which means your username and password is okay) but not able to select the hornypre_wp_global database.

Are you sure it exists?
    Does the user hornypre_wp have permission to use the hornypre_wp_global database?
    On some systems the name of your database is prefixed with your username, so it would be like username_hornypre_wp_global. Could that be the problem?

So have you checked that the database hornypre_wp_global exists and the user hornypre_wp have permission to use?

If not then could you please create the database and grant the user hornypre_wp permission to use it.

Would you mind if I logged in to your site and did some testing? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just send log in info through our secured contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/
    - Choose "I have a different question"
    - Include my name in the subject "Vinod Dalvi"
    - Include the URL of this post in your message so that I may track this issue better
    - Include login information (Wordpress admin info username + password )
    - Include FTP Details
    - Include cPanel details (I will need to look at the DB so need PHPMyAdmin or similar )

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Tyler,

Thank you for sending the site details.

I logged in to your site and found there was an issue in db-config.php file stored in the wp-content directory.

You were using server IP address there. This is appropiate only when the DB server is remote.

For local DB servers, the right approach is to use localhost as displayed below.

this:
    add_db_server('global', 'dc1', 1, 1,'db_server_ip','', 'db_name', 'db_user', 'your_db_password');

should be this:
    add_db_server('global', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','', 'db_name', 'db_user', 'your_db_password');

I already changed it for all the DBs and your site is working now.

Could you please check it and let me know how it works for you now?

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.