can't get multisite copier to work

first why arn't the plugins in alphabetical order -- what a pain in the ass trying to find it

I can not get the multisite content copier to work

I click posts and put in my source site number of 48 hit next step
then I click all the options and I find the post on the right and add item to list and click next step
I then put the destination site in 169 and click next step

adn then it tells me you have not selected any blog

• Nithin

Hi mindset,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

The plugins are arranged in the popular plugins order at the moment, however we are working on a new plugins page, and with more filters, and logic to it.

I then put the destination site in 169 and click next step
    adn then it tells me you have not selected any blog

I tested this in my website, and it seems to work fine. From reading your steps, I suppose you haven't clicked the Add Site button. Once you enter, the Blog ID, or the Site URL, you'll have to click the Add Site button.

If you have already tried that, and still have issues. Please enable support access, so that we could give a closer look. You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please let us know once you enable access, so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• mindset

Wow -- LOL - that is not obvious at all -

I re-did this 50 times -- I never even thought of hitting add site ---- first did not even see it - it blends into the background -- and two thought it applied if you enter a URL --

If you put a "THEN" before the button -- it would be much clearer --- I am sure I am not the only one that has had issues --

Another thing - this is just my opinion -- but a very good one in my humble opinion LOL.. This fad or wave of designers using nothing but light grey text and slightly different light shades of grey to differentiate areas -- is a really horrible design trend --

It might be great for young guys who have 20/20 eyesight -- but the majority of the population do not have great eyes and grey text can not be read be cause there is no contrast -- Designers need to take that into effect -- I absolutely hate this new design trend -- half of the screens I can not even read cause all the letters blend in -- whereas on a black print white background -- I have no problems --

Thanks

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello mindset,

Can you make sure that in step 3 you selected "Copy Images"

only then featured images will be copy.

If you checked that and it still doesn't work would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

kind regards,
    Kasia

• mindset

Yes, sometimes it copys correctely but most times it does not -- it does not copy the featured image, and it does not copy of fields from the record such as package - address etc

I will be giving you support access

I am using ftlauderdale.business as my master -- and the destination sites are all city.business

Now I did a group copy and it did not work right -- I copied directly to austin.business and it worked just fine... but toronto and tampa did not --

• mindset

yes you may -- let me give you history --

ftlauderdale.business site 48 is the master --
    The listing is House Hunters Panama Real Estate on Page 2 - 2nd entry
    I copied using posts from site (48) to Florida keys to 169 and after fixing a few things on the master - got it to transfer correctly --

Then I tried to copy the whole group "Business Directories" some copied correctly,
    some copied but not all the detail data and featured image, and then yet others did not copy at all -

so I did them one by one after deleting any bad previously copied listing - and got rid of trash
    some worked on first try others worked on 2nd or third tries -- and then others worked partially and some not at all --

The ones that worked austin(2), toronto(5), Orlando(14), Tampa(18), Atlanta(26), Chicago(35), Nashville(55), San Diego (65), Seattle(73), Denver(83), San Francisco (299)

There are some I have not done yet -- but of the ones that I tried that either did not create at all - or created it incorrectly after numerous tries are as follows -
    Kansas City(30), Jacksonville(10), San Antonio (62), Dallas(79), Honolulu(87), Los Angeles(99), Edmonton(287), Hamilton (290)

I am testing the rest of them yet -- but if you copy from site 48 House Hunters Panama Real Estate to one of the destinations that would not work - you can't mess anything up

I am assuming the group copy probably failed or mis-applied the same sites that I can not get to work individually -- though there were some that were incomplete but when I re-did them singly they did work
    Austin(2), Toronto(5)

• Nithin

Hi mindset,

It seems like the Directory listing is a custom post type, created by your theme. Just to be sure, are you only copying through each listing pages? or through Content Copier page? Because, I tired to make a test copy through the Content Copier page, but it seems like Directory post type is not showing, in the post type list. I did try to insert slugs, but it doesn't seem to work. Since it's a live site, I don't want to make any unnecessary changes to it, could you please advise, if I'm missing something, so that we could test that in your system extensively,

Since you did mention that it does work sometimes, and since I don't see you mention about performing a conflict test, to be sure, if possible could you please check whether any plugin conflict is present by disabling your plugins, and then try a test copy, and see whether it works fine.

Please let us know how that goes, so that we could have a better idea about this issue. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Hi mindset,

Thank you for clearing things out it's more clear on how these post types are implemented.

1) How can it be a conflict test when it works 75% of the time ---

Since it's only working 75% of the time, we have to be sure whether the rest 25% of the issue is caused by a plugin conflict, and this is the basic troubleshooting procedure. But it seems like there isn't any need to perform a conflict test. I created a test site wpmutest(306), and tried to copy the posts, and I was able to replicate this issue.

On giving a closer look, this is due to the fact that rather than creating a custom post type, your premium theme is customizing the default post type Posts, to Directory Listing, which contains custom fields etc.

When you select the standard post types in Multisite Content Copier, the plugin is designed to copy the default WordPress posts. What the theme is doing is adding additional functionalities to the default post like custom fields, and it would hence cause these anomalies, because by default posts doesn't have custom fields etc, and these would be the reason why it's not always working correctly. I was able to notice, the fields aren't always accurate when copying too.

I'm afraid, the plugin is not designed to work on such customized settings, if the Directory Listing was implemented as more of a Custom Post Type, this might have worked. At the moment, I'm afraid there isn't any quick workaround for this.

Could you please check whether Cloner plugins, works according to your needs? The plugin would cloner the entire site, you can select what needs to be cloned under Settings > Cloner.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/cloner/

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• mindset

Nithin,

Thank you for looking in to it -- your explanation though does not hold water in my opinion but I will just manually update the few that did not work -- but let me state where I differ -- I was a programmer for over 30 years and have programmed some pretty complicated routines.

Your explanation that the plugin is not written to handle such complex custom types would and I guess could be valid -- The reason I find it totally hard to swallow is though each one of these listings has different content values ---- the content structures are identical in each listing -- none of them have unique data that could possible throw a parser off its track per se. So if it works for one it should work for the next.... so the difference could be plugins --- but each site has the exact plugins -- network activated --- so I can not deactivate them without shutting down my live system- or it could be caused by different site internal settings -- I have done a comparison but have not seen a difference -- but if anything is causing it -- that would probably be what it is --

So I appreciate your help and I will continue to try and figure out what difference there is -- between the site that works and the sites that do not..

I will also give your referred plugin a try. so thank you for your effort

• Nithin

Hi mindset,

The reason I find it totally hard to swallow is though each one of these listings has different content values ---- the content structures are identical in each listing -- none of them have unique data that could possible throw a parser off its track per se.

Thank you for sharing your observation, what I did mention was that by default the plugin recognizes the default WordPress post, and your premium theme does seem to alter the default post into Directory listing, this could be one of the main reasons for it not work, since it's a premium plugin, it's tough to state what could be the exact reason for this to not work.

So if it works for one it should work for the next.... so the difference could be plugins ---

Yes, you are right, this could be a conflict too. As a test, if possible, could you please setup a new install with Multisite content copier plugin, and your premium theme only, and check whether you are able to replicate the same error. If yes, the issue would be more related to the theme, and how the plugin recognizes the post types.

Please let us know how that goes, have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.