Can't get past intro video in The Academy course

Hi.

I just enrolled in David Pataki's Wordpress beginner's course. I finished the intro video, and it says I completed it. But it won't unlock the next part, "Getting Started.

• Paul

Hi Joshua. Thanks for checking in. I rewatched the intro all the way through again and let it totally finish, and haven't had the problem. So I think it was because I probably stopped it a bit short of its full run.

I will say, this is one of the more disorganized "courses" I've watched. With a little more planning and a better understanding of how online courses need to flow, this could have all been covered in half the time and lot more effectively.

Again, thanks for getting back to me.

Paul

• Paul

Joshua,

I don't know how many online courses you've taken--hopefully not many unless you use them as a sleep aide. I've taken hundreds of hours of courses from Udemy and some from Pluralsight and Lynda during the past year when I somewhat insanely decided to learn Adobe After Effects. (I'm of geezer age and have spent a lifetime using print and working in print programs. Suddenly jumping to 29 frames a second has felt jarring to every last neuron in my brain.)

After taking a number of courses, you can instantly tell when an instructor knows how to create an engaging course--and it has nothing to do with how good the instructor is at the actual material. For instance, the guy who did your intro course might be able to code circles around someone who was able to create an engaging and helpful video. These are two entirely different skillsets. (Some of the best After Effects instructors probably can't hold a candle to some of the worst instructors in terms of their ability to use After Effects.)

So when you are looking for instructors, it's their skillset in teaching the material rather than in using the material that is what counts. And at the foundation of that is the ability to organize the lessons ahead of time rather than to free associate.

You probably know all of this, but whoever chose this course for WPMudev didn't apply it.

• Joshua Dailey

Thank you for the thoughtful insight. Teaching is very different from doing. Course structure and layout is important to us. I've watched my fair share of online classes. I have my preferred learning style and it is always frustrating when the educator uses a different approach (is slower than I am learning or uses examples I do not connect with). We will work on improving our course selection and approach. With the amount of time that goes into creating and writing a class for the Academy, we want to grow and improve so thank you again for watching and sharing your thoughts.