Studio: Can't get rid of text shadows in drop down menu

Hi,
I'm working on a new site with Studio and have it almost done. But I can't get rid of the shadow on the text inside the dropdown menus in the top nav.
I found the setting for it in the custom styling, but nothing I put in there affects a change.

How can I get rid of it altogether? Can I do it with CSS?
Thanks!

The site, btw is at http://66.147.244.160/~integsb0/

Best,
Laurie

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi Laurie

Greetings from WPMU DEV and thank you for being a member.

Yes, you would be able to make the changes in the stylesheet.css. I will investigate to see where exactly and revert back to you ASAP.

Have a blessed day and revert back to you shortly.

Gina

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

@pcwriter

Thanks for that. I was just getting back to the user and found you already assisted. Great community support! I constantly see your face popping up on the forum and you're always offering excellent solutions. Great stuff!

@Laurie

This should remove the shadow from the text. I will close this thread, but please don't hesitate to be in contact should you require any further support.

Have a good day!

Gina

• IntegraLLC
    • Flash Drive

Hi Gina and PCWriter,
    Thanks for the quick response! I've put those lines in my css file (style.css) but it doesn't seem to have done anything.
    I've done a hard refresh and tried in other browsers just to check...but its still there.

Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Laurie

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Laurie,
    If that doesn't work for you please go to your studio/_inc/css/studio.css and change line 146 from:
    .nav ul a{font-weight:normal;text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 0px;}
    to
    .nav ul a{font-weight:normal;}

Although I think that if you are to make changes NOT to use the Studio theme but the child theme (Studio child) provided with it.

Please let us know if you need further assistance. We are here to help. :slight_smile:
    Thank you for your time,
    marikamitsos.

Should you find the provided solution satisfactory, please mark the topic as resolved.
    Thanks again, marikamitsos

• dreamwc
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@marikamitsos
    You will need to be sure it is loading that particular set of instructions last and that they are not being over-written. CSS is funny like that, the order in which you put your lines of code makes a big difference. It was designed this way to allow greater flexibility in an easy to control way.

Hope this helps...

Kind Regards,
    RJ

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

@dreamwc

You will need to be sure it is loading that particular set of instructions last and that they are not being over-written.

I agree with you RJ. And I've yet to see an answer where pcwriter was wrong :slight_smile:
    Still, taking into account the way the theme is structured and the way Laurie uses it, the solution seems to work to me. Please try it out.

marikamitsos

• dreamwc
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Absolutely, I just wanted to add my two cents because I found myself fighting a ghost for an hour one day only to discover I was staring at the problem the whole time. Swapped two lines of CSS around and POOF it worked. This bugged me because I knew this and yet I was over looking it the entire time. =)

Kind Regards,
    RJ

PS - Have to agree with you on the pcwriter comment from what I have seen lurking around my favorite forums here.

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi Laurie

Please let me know if the latest suggestion from @marikamitsos helped.

I agree 110% with @marikamitsos. If you'll make changes to css, then better to do so in the Child Theme. It makes upgrading much easier. You won't loose any styling that you did if you follow this way.

Let me know how you got on and if this solutions sorted the shadow issue.

Have a good day and I look forward to receive your feedback.

Gina

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@Laurie

The recommendation made by marikamitsos is a very good one: if you're going to customize the theme at all, it's best to do so in the child-theme. You'll find instructions for ensuring proper installation of the Studio-child here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-and-buddypress-themes/what-are-parent-and-child-themes/

@RJ

CSS is funny like that, the order in which you put your lines of code makes a big difference.

You're quite right on that account. If the elements targeted by your custom rules are identical to the originals, they must be either called later, or have !important appended to override the originals.

A better alternative to adding the !important override (which is really a hack, and it can get messy if multiple stylesheets are used) is to increase the specificity of the element you're targeting. To do so, simply add another container element to the statement. For example, to guarantee that .nav ul a will be overridden in a child-theme stylesheet, no matter when it is called, change it to #header .nav ul a

Here are some handy links to help get a handle on specificity:
    Simple: http://www.htmldog.com/guides/cssadvanced/specificity/
    Complete: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html

@marikamitsos @Gina @RJ

Thanks for the encouragement guys! It's always enjoyable to be able to help someone over a bothersome hurdle, and to be recognized for it is even more fun! :slight_smile:

• IntegraLLC
    • Flash Drive

Hi everyone! Thanks for the great responses! Sorry to just now get back..I took yesterday off. How wonderful to come back with solutions in my inbox!
    @marikamitsos 's solution did the trick! Thanks so much!

Thanks for the additional info on CSS, too!
    As always, I learn a lot from these discussion!

Thanks again!
    Laurie

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.