Cant get the dashboard connect with the hub

my dashboard is successful installed on a different wp install, and on my multisite wp install. For my first website, all connections the the wpmudev hub went well.
Now I am building my second site on that same wp multisite install, but I cant get the connection working between the dashboard ant the hub.

• Denitsa

Hello Renaat
    I trust you're well!

What do you mean that you're building a second site on the same multisite install? The WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin is visible only from the Admin Dashboard in a multisite network, you don't enable that per-subsite, it's controlled via the Network admin for all subsites, since a multisite is treated as a single WP install.

When you add a plugin or theme via the WPMU DEV Dashboard in Admin, these s become visible from the sub-sites' Plugins or Appearance -> Themes menus.

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

All the best,
    Denitsa

• Denitsa

Hey Renaat,

Yes, you're right, you don't need to connect and manage subsites under a multisite - the whole multisite would be the one visible under the Hub and when you enable Support Access for the mainsite it gets enabled for the subsites also.

Make sure to point to the subsite in question (say something like "The site I'm getting that issue on is ...") when having trouble with a particular site under your multisite install and you enable Support Access, so our support would know where to look.

If you have any additional issues, please let us know and we'll be happy to help.

Regards,
    Denitsa

• Andrew

So then if you are using Multisite to host a lot sub-sites you can't utilize The Hub at all to see/manage individual sub-site Plugins, Themes, Performance, Security, Uptime, SEO or Backups?

Is there any chance this type of functionality will be added for Multisite installs?

Being able to provide maintenance services to clients on sub-sites and provide them with the same site monitoring and individual reports on their domain SEO, Security, Backups, Uptime, etc is quite a valuable set of features to offer.

• Denitsa

Hey there Andrew,
    I hope you're doing great!

So then if you are using Multisite to host a lot sub-sites you can't utilize The Hub at all to see/manage individual sub-site Plugins, Themes, Performance, Security, Uptime, SEO or Backups?

Yep, that's correct.

As for your second question, I'm afraid this functionality isn't something The Hub is moving towards right now. The main reasons being that plugins and themes are actually set globally on a Multisite via the Network admin, and the second is the possible impact on the Hub's resources -imagine a single site with more than a hundred subsites, each of them having its own page in the Hub.

You can also for example use a plugin such as Google analytics + and enable it on a per-site basis.

Have a great day!

Cheers,
    Denitsa

• Ben

Hi Denitsa

I have been scratching my head trying to work out the same problem. I thought I must have been going crazy!

For me, this is a massive disappointment as I was actually moving my sites to wpmudev from managewp and the 'one-stop-shop' for managing and reporting was what I mistakenly assumed I was getting.

managewp now support individual sites on multi site networks - but of course, they don't have all your awesome plugins!

I understand and appreciate the challenges, but I suspect they could be overcome by separating out reporting functionality - even if was limited to key actions / stats at a site level.

I guess it depends on how you are using multisite, but the 100 site example is exactly why it would be a winning service as it would make things so much easier to manage in one place.

Anyway, I really hope it is a direction you go in the future :slight_smile:

All the best
    Ben