Cant get to paypal.

Cant seem to get to the paypal site. i have created a fundraiser and have entered my email address into the settings. I have not configured the API. is that required? It says "advanced settings."

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@bcox72

Greetings and welcome to the forums.

I have not configured the API. is that required? It says "advanced settings."

Yes you would need to configure that. I would suggest you to go with paypal sandbox mode first.

Documentation for Sancbox mode is here

Also remember to change the default donation to a positive number

Cheers
    PC

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hello @bcox72 great advice from @PC I also would set up the PayPal Sandbox first just to test everything out. Then go into live mode once you have everything set up the way you want it.
    Then switch over the PayPal Live mode

VERY IMPORTANT!!!
    Keep your PayPal Sandbox Mode codes and your LIVE mode codes clearly marked as it's easy to forget to change these codes when you go live, or even if you have to go back to sandbox mode. It's very easy to forget this simple fact as sometimes the numbers look similar but they are not and will not work if in the wrong mode.

So if things don't seem to work properly, the very first thing I'd check is to make sure that you have the correct codes for the PayPal Mode your in.

Good luck! Make sure to stop back by here and let us know if you have any other questions. Also it's good to hear from you when you get everything working as well.

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hello bcox72,

Welcome to the Forum!

You have to fill in the API details, you can create a fake test paypal account at https://developer.paypal.com/ for testing.

Detailed screenshots are here - https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/arun-#post-208416

For the live mode, you have to go into your real paypal account and follow similar steps to get your actual API details.

Let us know if you need more help. Good luck!

Thanks @PC and @Dean for chipping in, you guys rock!

• bcox72
    • New Recruit

ok, i have setup the paypal api details. all i lack is the application id. i need to submit my application app, but i am not sure which boxes to check for the api calls. what should I put in the box requesting application features?

ps... thanks for the posts above.

• BlueGoat
    • Flash Drive

Hi I have the fundraising plugin also, where do we go to get the API username and API password? I have a personal Paypal account but I intend on creating a separate Merchant account to facilitate handling of payments on fundraising site.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hello @BlueGoat if you want a separate PayPal account vs your personal account you will have to apply for that first as your API credentials are created from your PayPal account. If you have 2 PayPal accounts you will have 2 seperate sets of API crendentials. Make.sure.you don't mix them up.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hello @BlueGoat wanted to follow up to see if you were able to get everything working ok. @Arun Basil Lal always has great advice and nice fancy graphics. I need to find out how he does that. I'm assuming photoshop but if there is an easier way I'd love to hear about it. I was on a webinair and it was pretty cool how they produce video tutorials where they can zoom in and highlight areas they are talking about while teaching the workings of whatever software they are teaching. Cool stuff.

• BlueGoat
    • Flash Drive

@Arun thanks Paypal support staff member talked me through the exact steps earlier when I called to get my API Credentials. The screenshots will definitely be helpful to others who don't know. @Dean I got my API Username, Password and Signature but I'm overwhelmed with filling out the App Information form on x.com with what specific information I need to provide Paypal Review to get approved APP ID.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hello @BlueGoat and @Arun I may be wrong here but here's how I have my PayPal set up. I didn't actually set my accounts through their business accounts. I just have 2 seperate personal accounts.
    One the payments are connected through my personal bank account and email and my business (really another personal account) is connected to my business checking account and business email.

I simply applied for 2 sets of API credentials, one for Sandbox Mode, and one for the Live Mode. They are both attached only to my Business/Personal account. I never signed up through X.com as I believe that they are really going to try to get you to use their services and carts.

The reason I came here is that Marketpress has more flexibility that I needed.

Again I could be wrong and PayPal may have changed their requirements for setup for a business.

There may be a percentage advantage by using x.com I haven't really looked into that part but I really doubt that they are going to undercut PayPal's rates. I know that they offer a free swiper so you can take payments via Cell phone etc...

I use Intuit Go Payment. The rates are reasonable and no monthly fees or contracts.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions or information you find out about x.com I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks!

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hello Again @Sue Waters I downloaded the trial of Snagit (looks to be a pretty cool program) I just did a test screen capture and added arrows etc. Saved the file but can't figure out how to past it in one of these posts. I tried under the share menu to share via clipboard (no luck) flattened it and saved as a jpg still no luck....

Any help is appreciated!

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Heya @ Dean,

I downloaded snagit to share a test screencapture here for you.

This is what I did,

Opened Snagit >> Clicked on the capture button >> it opened the screenshot in a snagit window >> Added arrows etc >> Clicked on the save button on the top left menu and gave a path.

Then just selected the option below this editor which says [+] Add Screenshot/File and gave the path of saved file and submitted my reply here.

Hope it helps !

Cheers
    PC

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Thanks @PC I was thinking that there may be a way to load it to a post without having to save it locally. There was a WordPress and an evernote share link so overlooked the attach screen capture at the bottom there. Thanks for the input I was going to send you some points and then saw another feature I hadn't seen on your posts. So I marked the Helpful box and really appreciate your help.

• Sue
    • Recruit

Hi Dean,

Sorry for the delay - bit behind because it's Mother's Day here. Thanks @PC for helping Dean.

I always save my annotated sceenshots on my computer and then upload them to where ever I am going to use them. You never know when you'll want to quickly grab that same screenshot again.

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    WPMU DEV Support

• BlueGoat
    • Flash Drive

@Dean I've my API Credentials, I'm a little overwhelmed with filling out the actual form on x.com to get the Application ID. There's overload information we have to provided to get the Application ID for the fundraising plugin. I frankly careless about Paypal's Triangle card swipe. Is there a video tutorial of what we need to fill in or check on the form to provide to get the Application ID approved by Paypal Review?

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hello @BlueGoat I've set up a test fundraising page and was digging into your question a little deeper. I spent a couple of hours with PayPal support and just playing around myself and came to a couple of conclusions that make me a little more confused. Possibly @Arun and the developer could chime in here.

According to the folks at PayPal you should be able to process the payments through your current PayPal account or make a new account without a Business account. If you select the simple donations in the setup of the fundraising then this is not a problem. Also I saw in the plugin setup itself that they are going to simplify this process soon. (screenshot below)

When setting up the Advanced crowd method then this is where the Application ID came into effect. The PayPal tech I was talking to seemed to think that this should be connected or encoded into the Plugin/Application development application itself. Since this came from PayPal and not the developer not sure how accurate that info is. Personally I can see that the Plugin/Application needs to be integrated for each individual installation but think that it should be a lot easier.

If you're setting this up for another company then I think that there should be a way for the developer to set this up so that the webmaster (you) would not or should not have access to your clients PayPal account information at all. Need a way for them to insert this information. This would be to protect you from any claims that money is missing since you had access to their account information.
    I personally +1 this suggestion.

I probably wouldn't use the Advanced Crowd method only because (from what I understand) the donations aren't collected until the goal is met. My personal feeling would be to collect the money as soon as I can and then manually update the Goal status with a personal post using the simple donation option.

My reasoning behind this is my Church is building a new Church and had a Capitol Campaign to raise money to lessen the amount we would need to borrow. I personally made my pledge as did several other members. They didn't want to collect the pledges all up front and spread it out simular to the Advanced Crowd method where if the goal isn't met then the money isn't collected. Well I ended up in the hospital and needless to say I can't honor my pledge. As of now I'm over $15,000 in collections from medical bills I simply can't afford to pay. If the church would have taken the payment right away then they would have had $5,000 more and I'd still be in collections.

Sorry to ramble but hope somewhere in here there will be a workaround.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.