Can't install the Directory Plugin !

Hi, I am trying to install the Directory plugin that I have just purchased and i get the error – “The uploaded file exceeds the upload_max_filesize directive in php.ini.”

• bharat
    • Flash Drive

Seems like the file size of your plugin is more than maximum upload size allowed on your site.

Follow the steps to increase the maximum upload file size.

1. Login to your network admin panel

2. Click on Dashboard (hover over My Site -> Network Admin -> Click Dashboard)

3. Click Network Settings (Under Settings)

4. Scroll down where it says Upload Settings

5. Increase the Max upload file size (third option) to as much as you want (I usually increase it to 5000 KB).

Hope this helps.:slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings heathcliffe2000,

Thank you for the great question and I admit bharat gave the right info and hopefully does not bump up against the php.ini set ceiling.

But no sense in raising an alarm until we actually get to this point.

Did this fix your issue?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• heathcliffe2000
    • New Recruit

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply. I have been to the cPanel settings for my site and I can not see anywhere where I might change any setting about file upload size. There is no Network Admin option and nothing that looks like it. I have contacted their support department.

Can I upload the zipfile via FTP do you know? I’m not that technical and already have a live themed site on the go already. This plugin is for an enhancement so I don’t want to mess anything up.

Thanks,

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings heathcliffe2000,

Thank you for the additional question.

Certainly you can FTP up the zip but the most common practice is to extract the contents on your computer first and then just FTP the contents to the server.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• heathcliffe2000
    • New Recruit

Thanks Joe,

I have a problem getting into my FTP. It won’t accept the password for some reason, though i know it is correct. Tried FireFTP and Filezilla. My techie guy replied from his hols suggesting I created a php.ini file and stick it in the plugin directory, but again I can’t FTP.

So I’m stuck right now. Nowhere to go.

Assuming I can sort this out. Do I just unzip the zip file and copy everything over to the plugin directory? i.e. so there is a Directory under plugins called “directory” ?

Thanks,

HC

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings HC,

Thank you for your input and you are exactly correct that you need to download it, extract it to a folder on your computer, and inside the folder will be another of the plugin name which you upload the entire folder.

You were also correct that in the end you will have a folder structure like /wp-content/plugins/directory

But that FTP info is critical and the best way to also solve many other possible issues one could have.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• heathcliffe2000
    • New Recruit

Thanks Joe,

I eventually got the right access etc. Installed the plugin through the wordpress interface and unfortunately it breaks my current site and therefore I can not use it.

I am using Config from Themeforest:

http://themeforest.net/item/config-multipurpose-wordpress-theme/1493982?WT.ac=portfolio_thumb&WT.seg_1=portfolio_thumb&WT.z_author=themepunch

Maybe there is a way to create a new site for directory and embed it into a new page on my current site? I dunno, I’m learning WordPress as I go along. I have also tried the Events Calendar plugin with this theme but that didn’t work either :slight_frown:

Thanks for all your help,

H.

• heathcliffe2000
    • New Recruit

I didn’t try anything Joe.

I installed the plugin and then checked the pages on my site and they were broken lol.

The config theme already makes use of Categories and installing Directory gave me 404 errors on my existing content.

I disabled Directory and I still had the problem. I had to delete Directory to get my site working again.

I’m not technical by any means. I know the developers of the Events plugin suggested there were lots of errors in the Config theme. As their theme is my first purchase, I have no other experience to go from, but I do hope future websites will be easier, otherwise I might have to become a programmer!

The desire to use Directory was for the simple fact I needed a directory of services on my site. Listing would all be free and would be inputted by me, so didn’t need anything as fancy as you have. Just wanted to categorise and sort and filter organisations as some cross multiple categories.

Perhaps it will come in useful for future developments.

Thanks,

H.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings HC,

Thank you for the additional clarification which is absolutely appreciated.

This sounds like a permalink issue.

Can you please check your permalinks and make sure they are set to anything but default? Preferably /%postname%/ for SEO juice as well?

With or without the Directory plugin, this is a wise choice to make regarding the permalink structure.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings HC,

Thank you for all your input, clarification, and patience as we try to get to the bottom of what is going on with the installation.

I would say our next step is to confirm that the theme coding is indeed the culprit.

Please switch to the Twenty Eleven theme and activate the Directory plugin to see if you get the same reaction?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• heathcliffe2000
    • New Recruit

Hi joe,

I’m really not sure I want to do that. There is so much work done on my site I would be frightened of losing it all. I know that is not meant to happen but I just dare not do something like that.

However, I now have FTP into my test site so will try it on that over the weekend.

Regards,

HC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.