Can't jump forward to other chapters?

We are using Coursepress 2.0.5. When a new students try to start a different chapter then the first (such as starting on Chapter 3) it says in a popup:
"You need to complete all the REQUIRED modules before this unit.
Please press the Prev button on the left to continue." when they click Next on the videos page.

Why? The Coursepress settings of "User needs to answer all required assessments and view all pages in order to access the next unit" is off for all units.

Why is this happening still? The changelog for 2.0.6 has "Improved: Required unit message.". This this mean I should upgrade to fix it?

• Rupok

Hi Lisa,

So sorry to hear the inconvenience. I just tried to regenerate this on my test site with CoursePress Pro 2.0.6 but I could not regenerate this issue on my test site. So I believe, this issue will be gone with updating to 2.0.6.

Can you please take a complete backup of your site and then update the CoursePress to 2.0.6 and check if the issue is gone? If not, please let us know. We will be glad to investigate further.

And I asked you to take a complete backup first so you can always revert back to the current state if anything goes wrong.

Please let us know what happens after updating. I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Nithin

Hi Lisa,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

It seems like this isn't a bug, checking your website, it seems like your course modules are marked as required. If that's the case, then the student will have to answer the question, which is the default plugin behavior.

Once you un-check the Required option, for your modules the student can skip to other chapters.

Please advise if I'm missing anything here, so that I could report this to the developer. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Lisa

This problem is still NOT fixed in 2.0.7. Removing the Required checkbox option on each chapter does allow the student to jump around, but if done, the student gets an "Almost there!" page after only one or two chapters saying "You have completed The (Course name)! Your course instructor will now review your work and get back to you with your final grade before issuing you a certificate of completion." because no chapters are required anymore.

Ken from WPMU DEV support debugged it and could find a solution. This is still a problem. How do I fix it. I simply want to allow the student to complete any chapter on demand (and therefore not needed be in sequential order) and when all chapters are 60% passed the course is considered complete. How do I do this? This could not be more difficult.

• Lisa

So to clarify, we have given up trying to allow the student to complete chapters in random order. It simply doesn't work. Goes to an "Almost There!" page even when they have not passed all the quizzes which we require.

So we have locked all chapters and they have to do them one by one in sequential order (hence the lock icon). But now after they complete chapter 1 and pass the quiz (60% requirement to pass) it goes to this "You need to pass all the REQUIRED modules before this unit." page. Screenshot here:
    http://sites.extremehosting.ca/temp/required.jpg
    Why? If they have passed the quiz why does the student get this? Even when we click the Previous Unit button like it says it goes back to the start of Chapter 1 again. Why? Its PASSSED?!?

This could not be more difficult. We have actually found a student cannot simply complete a course. Whether they end on on an "Almost There" page, or now this, a student can't simply login and do the quizes until they pass them all. Its ridiculous.

• Nithin

Hi Lisa,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, we reply in threads according to the queue order, and hence the delay.

So we have locked all chapters and they have to do them one by one in sequential order (hence the lock icon). But now after they complete chapter 1 and pass the quiz (60% requirement to pass) it goes to this "You need to pass all the REQUIRED modules before this unit." page. Screenshot here:
    http://sites.extremehosting.ca/temp/required.jpg

Since this is the current workflow of your courses, I checked your course and I could see this issue. I'm checking this with the developer to see whether this is by default, or an issue with the module. As a workaround, you'll have to to disable the option "User also needs to pass all required assessments" so that the students can progress to next unit.

Will keep you posted, once I get an update from the developer regarding this from the developer asap. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• Lisa

No, that does not work either because Coursepress has another problem or design flaw too.

- So I disable that option
    - Login and complete the most chapters quizzes, you can see they are all 100%
    (eg. http://sites.extremehosting.ca/temp/1.jpg)
    - I then complete the quizz for the last chapter
    (eg. http://sites.extremehosting.ca/temp/2.png)
    - Coursepress goes to an ALMOST THERE page, not a YOU PASSED! page. This is useless, because the student is left confused. What is left to do? And the student does not automatically get issued his certificate which he needs. And as an admin I need to do something? Approve it? Why its 100% complete and passed? I can't manually do that for 3000 students.
    (eg. http://sites.extremehosting.ca/temp/3.png)

Like I said in the above post, between the two problems a student cannot actually ever complete a course. Note it does randomly allow them to complete a course with this checkbox off like you suggest. But we can't have random.
    Please at least fix one of the problems as soon as possible. Tech support just keeps telling us to bounce back and forth between a bug and a design flaw. We could not be more disappointing with something so basic and simple.

• Lisa

Sorry, the ALMOST THERE problem might not be exactly as I described. Its giving an ALMOST THERE page even know all quizzes are 100% passed because the first chapter is still incomplete. But this first chapter (Instructions & Introduction, 1.jpg above) does not have a quiz, and the settings:
    User needs to answer all required assessments and view all pages in order to access the next unit
    User also needs to pass all required assessments
    Are both off. So whether the student clicks that first chapter or not should not impact whether the course is completed or just almost there. Specifically function is_course_complete in class-student.php in V2 should not care about chapters with both those values above off & when they have no quiz. Thats the problem I think for the second design flaw.

• Nithin

Hey Lisa,

Sorry to know that you are still having issues with the plugin. The issue with the message "You need to pass all the REQUIRED modules before this unit" have been confirmed as a bug, and the developers are working on this issue at the moment, and we'll keep you posted once we have a patch related to this bug.

Regarding the other issues of the units being marked as 100% complete, and the "almost there" message, I'm checking this with the developer to see whether we aren't missing any thing here. Will keep you posted, once I check these out with the developers asap. Have a nice weekend ahead. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• Jon

Hi Lisa,

I have also been experiencing a similar problem with the frustrating padlocks and you need to complete all the REQUIRED modules before this unit message.

I've made a number of changes to my coursepress throughout the day to try and amend it. I've stumbled across the course start date which had for no reason, changed to a date in the future. As a result it was allowing users to enrol on the course, but preventing them from accessing the units!

I've since changed the course start date to a date in the past and it all works fine.

I hope this works for you too!