Can't Log Into WP Dashboard

When I try to log into the WordPress dashboard, I get an error message:
"Sorry, we can't find the content you're looking for at this URL. Please try selecting a menu item from above or to the side of this message to get where you'd like to go."
This is the URL: https://www.evanhcpa.com/wp-admin/ (the login page is here: https://www.evanhcpa.com/evan )
I get the same error message when I try to go to any page inside the dashboard (e.g. https://www.evanhcpa.com/wp-admin/widgets.php).
I'm able to log in, technically, but I get redirected to the error page and am therefore not able to access the dashboard.
I don't know what is causing the problem, but the site is on Cloudflare and also integrated with WordPress.com through the Jetpack plugin.
I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice on how to fix this problem. Thanks.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Eric

It seems due to either a plugin conflict or htaccess issue. I can take a look.

Would you please send me your admin login and cPanel details (for file management and DB managerment)?

You can send me privately in the following format:
    1. Please go to https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question
    2. Select "I have a different question" if not selected
    3. In subject line put "Attn-Ashok" (this will ensure that the email is assigned to me)
    4. Provide the wanted details.
    5. Add the thread link in the message so that I can track.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi eric,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. On giving a closer look, we were able to notice consistent 302 redirects when trying to access the WordPress dashboard, which seems to be causing the issue with login.

We checked the .htaccess file, wp-config.php, and other instances where the issue could occur but these files look fine, and there aren't any case where this issue could occur via the server files.

I'm afraid this redirect issue has to do more with either one of the existing plugin, or custom code in your current theme causing it.

The only way to find out which exact plugin or a theme code is to disable the plugins in your system via cPanel. Please do note that once deactivated, there isn't' anyway to activate the disabled plugin via cPanel unless we gain access to the WordPress dashboard.

So, you might find the site layout a broken during this troubleshooting phase. If it's a live site, and such test isn't something you aren't comfortable with us performing, then maybe you could help in setting up a staging website, where this could be looked upon closely?

Asking for your hosting provider to set up a staging would help, and once done, you could share the staging website credentials the same way as done before so that we could further troubleshoot in the staging on finding which exact plugin or any other instance is causing this, or not.

Looking forward to your response on how you want us to troubleshoot this further, and whether you are comfortable with us disabling the plugins or not. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Eric
    • Flash Drive

Hi Nithin,

It is a live site for sure. It's my client's main business site. One thing about that is time is of the essence in getting this problem worked out. Would it make sense to first disable plugins that are likely culprits to be causing the redirects but that would not break the layout?

I've already deleted two plugins that I thought might be causing the problem via cPanel. One of them is a plugin that lets you change the login page from /wp-admin to something else (so the login page is now back to default). The other is called Math Capcha. Deleting them didn't help, but I would be comfortable with you doing more troubleshooting with setting up a staging site if it can be done quickly and safely.

The site is connected to WordPress.com through the Jetpack plugin. Would it help you to have the login for the WordPress.com account? I successfully deactivated and then reactivated one plugin in the WordPress.com account (Smush Pro). Could you safely do the troubleshooting in the WordPress.com account?

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Eric

I have done a quick test on your site, I renamed the plugins folder to something else and the dashboard worked immediately. So, this is clear that a plugin is interfering. I recommend to try on your live site when you have a very low traffic, as it should not take much time.

1. Rename plugins folder to plugins_bak
    2. Create a new folder called plugins
    3. Go to https://www.evanhcpa.com/wp-admin/
    4. Now go to plugins_bak folder, move all plugins one by one to the plugins folder.
    5. And thus check, when it starts breaking. That's how you can find the culprit plugin.

I was trying to do that quickly, but your server kept blocking me in every 2-3 mins and I needed to fill the recaptcha and then login again.

Let us know how it goes.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.