can't put subscribe form into pop up

attempting to add an html newsletter signup form into a pop up using popup pro and all text disappears when I do. removed the <form> tags and everything else then shows, apparently doesn't like the form html tags? Won't the popup pro let me add a subscribe form to a pop up?

Thanks
Mark

Michelle Shull

Hi, Mark!

The developer, Philipp, mentioned this in a similar thread:

Hey people,

First step: Please go to your PopUp > Settings page. There you will find a section called "Shortcodes". In there you will see a list of all available shortcodes and where they can be used.

Important point is: Some shortcodes (including the contact-form-7 shortcode) will only work when loading method is set to "Page Footer" and "Custom Ajax".

This is a technical restriction we cannot bypass easily. However, we have contacted the contact-form-7 people and hope to find a solution for this in the future.

For now we ask you to use either the "Page Footer" or "Custom Ajax" loading methods in the Settings page to load the Pop-ups!

Thanks, Philipp

If you're not already, try using either the Page Footer or Custom Ajax loading method and see if that helps.

Thanks, let us know if this doesn't work, or if we can be of further assistance!

Mark

Thank you Michelle, wasn't able to see any reply forms here before, waited to hear back from general support that helped me and now can reply.

Thanks for this, I did follow the suggestion and got the shortcode to work with my html (used a shortcode creator plugin, added my html and then popped in the shortcode and it worked).

However, I'm having other issues that aren't working.

First, most of the time, after you fill in the form fields to sign up and click submit on the form in the pop up, the circle keeps spinning forever and never closes, completes, or anything, just stays as is. This happens under firefox and chrome, sometimes works better than others, but most every time it doesn't work as it should and would need this to be consistent as you can imagine.

Another tech here mentioned removing any caching plugins, I'm not using any at all.

Running wp 3.92.

Can you advise please?

Thanks
    Mark

Tyler Postle

Hey Mark,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your reply

I tested this out and I did notice the issue in Chrome. It seems to be a javascript error.

Which loading method are you using? If you aren't already, can you try the Page Footer method

If it's still not working then do you mind granting support access? Then I can see how you have the shortcode setup and check whether or not I can replicate this on my own install.

Keep in mind not all shortcodes are compatible with PopUp Pro.

You can grant support access via admin dashboard - WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

Look forward to hearing back Mark!

Hope you're having a great week.

All the best,
    Tyler

Mark

Thanks Tyler, appreciate your reply. Sure thing, am running the page footer option so granted support access from the dashboard just now.

BTW, I'm using a custom shortcode that I created since there was no shortcode for the autoresponder code I use. The HTML is plain vanilla mailing list optin html. However, if you notice that every browser behaves differently with PopupPro. Firefox works fine, it submits, but the popup doesn't close. Chrome pops up, but then twirls after submitting.

Please let me know if you need anything additional and appreciate your help!

Mark

Michelle Shull

Hi Mark, sorry for the delay here, we're working at half staff while most of our team is at WordCamp. We're all scrambling and working serious overtime to try to keep up, but we get an incredibly high number of support requests every hour. Right now, there are only five people giving 24/7 coverage. Thanks for your patience, and know that any delay means we're tying to maintain the high level of personal service we give to all our members at full staff while we're short-staffed.

Now, as for your particular issue, as Tyler mentioned above, Pop Up Pro doesn't automatically work with all shortcodes. From looking at your site, I'm assuming that your shortcode:

[sc:instymailer]

Isn't one that Pop Up Pro is designed to handle. We can flag the dev with a feature request, there's a chance he'd be willing to add support for your custom shortcode.

Thanks for your patience.

Mark

Thanks for your reply Michelle. Sure thing, if he would consider adding it that would be very helpful. It is a generic HTML form and the shortcode is a shortcode that you can add any html to so would be very helpful to not only me, but the thousands of others using this method.

Appreciate your help and I may have to turn the popup off for now, until this is resolved, just so you and he know.

Let me know if you need anything else from me on this end and a possible time frame so I can plan for it? Thanks
    Mark

Philipp Stracker

Hi @Mark,

we found the origin of the issue that is causing the infinite-loop.
    The form that you use is an external site (it has a different domain than your site) - because of this the security policy of browsers do not allow us to read the contents of the form response. Instead a security error is raised in the background and the PopUp keeps waiting for a server reponse, not knowing that nothing will ever come...

So we found this solution:
    After the form is submitted the PopUp tries to read the server response. If the response cannot be accessed (due to security restrictions) the PopUp will simply be closed.

To show a "success" message to your users you can add this javascript code to your page:

<script>jQuery(document).on('popup-submit-done', function(ev, popup) {
      alert( "Thanks for registering, you'll get an email shortly..." );
    });</script>

We will include this bugfix in the next release of the PopUp plugin. But to solve the issue right away on your website I have included the current beta version of the next release that contains the bugfix already! Simply delete the PopUp plugin (your data/existing popups will not be affected by this). After deleting the current plugin install the attached zip archive to your website and activate again.

Let us know if this works for you!

Thanks, Philipp

Mark

Hi Philipp!
    Thanks a bunch for your help on this, installed and works brilliantly! Tried the JS code in the header, but it doesn't show. For now that's ok, glad the box closes after submission which was the biggest issue. If you have any suggestions please let me know. This will be a big breakthrough for us since we use this on several of our sites and very much appreciate your help on this to sort it out and work with this a/r code. Thanks again Philipp!

Mark