Can't Renew as a Basic Free Website

Hi there heroes!

I'm encountering a bug when trying to change a subscription, after the trial period expired.

When I click "No thanks, I want a free website", the page refresh and nothings happens. The subscription keeps expired and Administrators can't see /wp-admin page.

Could you guys give me a help figuring out what's going on? Thanks!

• Milan

Hello Urbano ,

Hope you are well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

Is it happening with all the users or just with the users who have previously subscribed to your site ? Have you tried after disabling all other plugins ? If not, please follow instructions given in this support manual and conduct plugin conflict test which will give us culprit if its from installed plugins.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Let me know how it goes for you. :slight_smile:
    Best Regards,
    Milan

• Urbano

Hi there Milan, thanks for your quick reply.

Is it happening with all the users or just with the users who have previously subscribed to your site ?

I have only 1 test subscriber, and it's happening to her. The Trial period expired, when she selects the Free plan, page refresh but the subscription doesn't get updated. She keeps locked out from her site.

Have you tried after disabling all other plugins ?

Yes, I have disabled all plugins and unfortunately, the error persists. :slight_frown:

Any idea what could I do next?

Thanks again for your help on this.

• Milan

Hello Urbano ,

Hope you are well today and thanks for answers !

Now would you please grant me staff access to your site so that I can also check it ? I am not able to get "No thanks, continue with basic site" after subscription ends. I am manually removing my pro site status so its not automatic process.

Please grant mes staff access to I can compare our configurations and derive some solutions. :slight_smile:

You can grant me staff access to your site via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access. Please note that you should be logged in to grant us staff access. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Milan

• Milan

Hello Urbano ,

Hope you are doing well and thanks for granting me staff access to your site. :slight_smile:

After testing and analysing behaviour I think its default behaviour. Once user subscribes to any site or pro site, he/she will not be able to subscribe to free site once subscription gets over because once subscription gets over site gets converted to free site.

Hope it helps. :slight_smile:
    Best Regards,
    Milan

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Urbano!

The default behavior of Pro Sites is that once trial period expired and the subscription was not paid by that time the site automatically gets reverted to a "Free site" (basic). Therefore there's no need to "upgrade to a free site".

This is the designed and expected behavior. However, you mentioned that the user is "locked out" from "wp-admin". This doesn't happen by default unless you got "Pay to Blog" module enabled which indeed locks out user from /wp-admin. In this case however it would also be a logical behavior because the extension is meant to "force" users to go by the paid/premium subscriptions.

An option here would be to manually withdraw the "Pro Sites" status from the page via "Network Admin -> Pro Sites -> Manage Sites":
    - first extend Pro Sites status e.g. by "one day" to make an option to withdraw appear
    - then withdraw Pro Sites status

That being said if there's no Pay To Blog module active and/or above doesn't help, let me know please.

Best regard,
    Adam

• Urbano

Hi there Adam, thanks for your feedback.

In this case however it would also be a logical behavior because the extension is meant to "force" users to go by the paid/premium subscriptions.

I believe when Pay to Blog is active, the option "No, I want to keep with a free site" should be removed from the /pro-site page. This is resulting on a strange behaviour where the user get's the page refreshed with no result notification message.

What happens to post's/files that exceed quota when the plan is automatically reverts to free?

Meanwhile, we have disabled Pay to Blog module and the button "No, I want to keep with a free site" is working normally again, sending the administrator back to his website.

I believe pro-sites could benefit from some improvements on a free premium plan.

Thanks again for your help, keep up the good work.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.