Can't see permissions settings in support system plugin

Hi guys Ive had a search and can't find any mention of this, but as the title really, I dont seem to be able to see the permissions settings in order to disable the FAQ section of Support System plugin. I have given support access incase it is needed. Any help would be hugely appreciated. :slight_smile:

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello Lex
    Hope you are well!

On your site, can you not see these settings that allow you to control permissions for viewing the FAQ? These settings can be found under Support > Settings.

Please let me know so we can further troubleshoot this issue if necessary.

Cheers,
    Alex :smiley:

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello Lex
    Hope you are well!

Could you please complete a plugin/theme compatibility check?
    1. Deactivate all plugins but Support System.
    2. If the problem disappears, Activate your plugins one by one until you find the one causing the issue.
    3. If plugins turn nothing up, try switching to the Twenty Sixteen theme to see if this makes a difference.

Awaiting your results.

Cheers,

• Lex
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Done all as described and still the same. Have noticed as well that the pro sites upgrade Admin Bar Button has also gone missing, that I cannot select any roles for users as super admin and that no blog can upgrade even when they are administrators of the site (not sure if any of this is linked, but thought might be worth bringing up).

I'm completely stumped at this point, everything else seems to be working ok. :S

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello Lex
    Hope you are well!

Still sounds like a compatibility issue somewhere, if you could kindly run the compatibility test as explained in my last reply, that would be vital information to find out what is causing these problems. :slight_smile:

Can't wait to hear back!

Cheers,

• Lex

Hi Alex,

Yes I have tried the test but it still continued even when I completely deconstructed the whole site to just support system. No change with any of the problems at any point, even changing themes changed nothing. I'm completely dumbfounded. It's the first thing like this I've ever come across, most things I've managed to sort with a bit of googling.

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello Lex
    Hope you are well!

To get a closer look at your sites files and to debug this issue further, I will need FTP access. Could you please send those details through our secure contact form?
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact

Select "I have a different question". Be sure to select that option to make sure the details don't go back to the public forum.

In the subject field, please write this.
    Subject: "Attn: Alex Stine"

In the message body, please include this information.
    1. Link back to this ticket.
    2. FTP port, username, and password. SFTP or FTP?
    OR
    3. cPanel URL, username, and password.

You said above that you were in the process of transferring your site to another server, if you would like to wait until that is done, just send the details once you have successfully migrated the site and I will jump back on it. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello Lex
    Hope you are well!

I have just flagged our SLS (Second Level Support) team on this ticket. Please note that their response time might be a bit longer due to the volume of tickets received. Either another staff member or I will post an update here as soon as possible.

Cheers,

• Lex

Hi,

Sorry to bug guys, I'm happy to wait and understand you are up against it, but I just wondered if there was any idea to how long it could take for someone to have a look into this. As it currently stands it's impossible for anyone to upgrade their sites/blogs on my network which is obviously not good and possibly losing me custom.

Any expected ETA would be hugely appreciated.

Best Regards,
    Lex

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Lex,

Apologies for the delay on this. I've investigated further and it looks like user roles aren't showing up for your site at all, ie. when you go to add a new user to your main site, there are no user roles to select from.

The only thing I can think of here is that when Defender changed the prefix of your db tables, it didn't complete for some reason and so your wp_capabilities table is still not changing to the new prefix. If this is the problem, then the fix will be to just update the table name.

If you attempt to do this yourself then make sure you do a full back first, in-fact - do one anyway just to be safe. Our Snapshot plugin offers a full managed backup service as of the last update: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/

If you would like me to fix the db table then could you send in your cPanel access so I can access your phpmyadmin?

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -cpanel login url
    -cpanel username
    -cpanel password
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

**If you keep support access active then no need to send in wp-admin

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Lex

Thanks Tyler, I've sent you login details to the database. I did have a look myself and it did appear to be labelled correctly, but I'll be honest my knowledge in this side of it is unbelievably limited and next on my list to learn more about.

I have spotted what you mention though and do think the problems I'm seeing all over are to do with some role / compatibility problem. I noticed that the roles are visible when logged into other sites as a normal admin user, but they aren't being recognised as admins of that site by Pro Sites even though they are.

All slightly weird and starting to wish I never went near the renaming database part of defender, I think it's starting to cause role problems on another site too! :dizzy_face:

Anyway, I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your time looking into this.

Great to see the new managed backup is up and running, I've had my eye out waiting for this and now put it straight to good use. :smiley:

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Lex,

Thanks for all your patience on this. I fixed the db and you were right there was couple subsites that were affected to. It looks like it was changing all the prefixes but then stopped before it finished. My guess is either timeout or memory issue. Do you know when you turned that db prefix option on?

The developer and I are looking for related errors in your logs to make sure we can prevent this in the future.

Either way, your site should be all good now :slight_smile:

Give it a go and let me know if you still have any further issues.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Lex

Hi Tyler Postle,
      I wonder if you can help me. I also installed defender and done the same database update on another site. Slowly over time more and more things are cropping up as problems and I have a feeling it maybe this same unfinished database error. I wonder if you could point me to where I need to look to update on the database and how I would go about it.

Many thanks

• Tyler Postle
        • CGO

Hey Lex,

No problem, if it's due to permissions then you will want to check the following fields:

wp_user_roles (inside the wp_options table)
        wp_capabilities (wp_usermeta table) each subsite has it's own. ie. wp_2_capabilities
        wp_user_level (wp_usermeta table) each subsite has it's own

In both those tables, all fields that had wp_ prefix should change to your new prefix. So if you have any that still have wp_ instead of your new one then you should change it. I highlight the wp_user_roles, wp_capabilities, and wp_user_level because those are the ones that involve permissions and were causing issues for your site here.

You can run the following queries to find leftover wp_ prefixes easier:

SELECT * FROM 'newprefix_options' WHERE 'option_name' LIKE '%wp_%'

Replace "newprefix" with whatever your new prefix is. That will find all fields still using wp_ within the options table.

SELECT * FROM 'newprefix_usermeta' WHERE 'meta_key' LIKE '%wp_%'

Same thing here but this is for the usermeta table.

Hope that helps! Any further questions just let me know.

Cheers,
        Tyler

PS. Don't forget to always do a full DB backup before changing anything in the db :slight_smile:

• Lex

Brilliant thanks Tyler, awesome to be finding the cause, that has certainly fixed up the initial support plugin problem, seeing user roles and users on their sites.

I still seem to have the problem with the Pro Sites upgrade page and the upgrade / account button that is usually in the admin bar. The button seems to have disappeared somewhere along the way and likewise the site admin warning sprung up somehow.

I was preying they was being caused by the same problem! Don't suppose an easy fix comes to mind? :grimacing:

As for when defender was activated; I think it was right back when I first launched the site, probably march-april time. I was initially having trouble with saving the Fixer theme and then other priorities took over and it went to the sideline. I came back to it about a month or so ago starting with a new theme etc., but I didn't notice these problems before fully building the front end and getting some people on there rooting around or I would have scrapped it all and started fully from fresh when I was switching themes lol.

Many thanks again,
    Lex

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Lex,

No problem, happy to help!

I found the issue with Pro Sites, the checkout permissions for admin was unselected:

I just selected it now and it looks to have resolved that issue for ya. Luckily, because if that wasn't the problem then I had no idea :smiley:

Thanks for the info on Defender as well.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.