Can't see where/how to modify the events page

I don't understand how I modify the layout of the events page, because I have no idea where the page is. I thought all I'd have to do is create a page called events and put some shortcode on it and add the rest of the content I want on that page. But that events page is NOT the page that is viewed when I go to url/events (as defined in the event+ settings page). Apparently, a new page is being created dynamically using the template that I have selected (calendar template) from the events setting page. So, where do I find the file that needs to be edited to add content and adjust layout? What is its name? If it's a template page I assume I will not be adding shortcode, because the calendar is already on that page, right? But it doesn't make much sense to me that I should be modifying the template page. If that were the case, why would I need a shortcode at all? Am I right in assuming that I should be able to access a page where I can put shortcode and other page layout and content and give it the name "events" and it should display when url/events is visited? Similarly, how do I edit the layout of the single event pages? They too appear to be created dynamically and so I don't know if there is a page to edit, and if so what its name is and where do I find it... help!

ALSO...

The site events include about 15 different courses that get scheduled irregularly (not on recurring days or dates). On one of the site pages I have a list of all of the courses with a link to register for each. Ideally, I'd like that link to take the person to the next occurring instance of that event. In some cases there may be more than one event of a course scheduled, so it would be good for the link to direct the visitor to the single event info page of the closest occurrence. I activated the Recurrent Events Redirect function on the settings page, which says, "Redirects from root instance to currently closest to active instance." That sounds like just what I want it to do, and it sounds as if there should be a "root instance" that I make the link to. (and then it should redirect to the closest active instance from the root?) So how do I create a "root instance" page and what is it's url?

Additionally, can you tell me if there is no event currently scheduled for a course, can it redirect to a page that tells them there are no scheduled occurrences and can I add some content that explains what their options are? Or, instead of directing to a page that says there are no events for that course scheduled, will the root instance be displayed (there is no redirect), and so can I add my information to the root instance? Again knowing where to find that page with the root instance for each course would be necessary in this case... if that's how it works. Can you please help me understand what my options are to achieve my objective and exactly what the files I need to access are named and how I find them? I usually need detailed explanations, so please don't assume I know anything.

Please help. Thank you.

• aristath

Hello there @Earl, I hope you're well today!

So, where do I find the file that needs to be edited to add content and adjust layout? What is its name?

You're right, that page is dynamically created from the plugin.
    If you go to the plugin folder you'll find this file:
    default-templates/default/archive-incsub_event.php
    Copy that file to your theme and you can customize the template there.

Similarly, how do I edit the layout of the single event pages?

Repeat the same process as above but this time with this file:
    default-templates/default/single-incsub_event.php

So how do I create a "root instance" page and what is it's url?

The "root instance of an event is the event itself. You don't need to create anything!

Or, instead of directing to a page that says there are no events for that course scheduled, will the root instance be displayed (there is no redirect), and so can I add my information to the root instance?

Exactly. You can edit the event itself and add the info you want there. Or you can simply mark it as closed.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Earl

Thank you for your response. But I as said in my closing remark, "please don't assume that I know anything." For example, I don't have any idea of what you mean by:

Copy that file to your theme and you can customize the template there.

1. Please tell me specifically what folder I copy that file to. I know how to add a plugin to a theme, but have no idea how you copy a file to a theme.

2. And then where do I go to customize it? Do you mean I make modifications to the file in that new folder, or is there some way of customizing it withing the dashboard?

And again the same thing... I need more specific, clearer directions when you say,

Exactly. You can edit the event itself and add the info you want there. Or you can simply mark it as closed.

I understand that I can edit the event in the event list in the dashboard after I create it. But that event has a specific date that the course will be conducted. After that date, that event should no longer be viewable. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but a new event must be made by my client the next time she wants to schedule that course. Therein lies the problem...

3) if new events are having to constantly be created, then how can I place a static link on one of my content pages that will take them to the event (assuming that the new event instance will have a different address each time)?

4) Or, Is the root event the first event created with the same name and a link to the root event will automatically redirect to the most current, non-expired event of the same name? If so...

5) How do I find the url of the root event?

Additionally, I don't believe you have not addressed my question about what happens when there is no current event scheduled for a a course. So let's assume that a static link CAN be created from my content page to the root event. In this case the root is expired and so the plugin tries to redirect to the most current occurrence, but there is none.

6) What happens then? Are they just shown the expired root event or can they be directed to a page that says there are no current events for this course scheduled?

7) If the latter, how do I set it up to do that?

8) and how do I format the message they receive?

Again, thank you for your help. Please answer each of my questions specifically and in as much detail as possible. Generalizations are not helpful to me.

• aristath

1. Please tell me specifically what folder I copy that file to. I know how to add a plugin to a theme, but have no idea how you copy a file to a theme

All your themes are located on wp-content/themes.
    Each theme has it's own folder... So you will have to copy these files inside the folder of your active theme.

2. And then where do I go to customize it? Do you mean I make modifications to the file in that new folder, or is there some way of customizing it withing the dashboard?

You will have to edit the theme files using a text editor.

I understand that I can edit the event in the event list in the dashboard after I create it. But that event has a specific date that the course will be conducted. After that date, that event should no longer be viewable. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but a new event must be made by my client the next time she wants to schedule that course. Therein lies the problem...

Recurring events don't have a "specific" date, they have multiple dates. Each instance of the event has its own date. If you create them as simple events and not recurring then yes, you will have to create a new event for each instance. But you could simply use them as recurring and that won't be needed.

3) if new events are having to constantly be created, then how can I place a static link on one of my content pages that will take them to the event (assuming that the new event instance will have a different address each time)?

If you create recurring events then they don't have to be constantly created.

4) Or, Is the root event the first event created with the same name and a link to the root event will automatically redirect to the most current, non-expired event of the same name?

The "root" event is not the first instance of the event, it's the event in general. No specific instance of it.

5) How do I find the url of the root event?

The event URL is the root URL. individual events are displayed in there and they don't have a specific URL.

In this case the root is expired and so the plugin tries to redirect to the most current occurrence, but there is none.

The "root" is the sum of all "child" events.

6) What happens then? Are they just shown the expired root event or can they be directed to a page that says there are no current events for this course scheduled?

They are shown the expired event.

8) and how do I format the message they receive?

You can use the WordPress translation system to change any text you want. You can use this plugin to do that: http://wordpress.org/plugins/codestyling-localization/

I hope that helps...

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Earl

I have asked for detailed responses, buy you continue to generalize. This is of no help. PLEASE PASS THIS THREAD ON TO SOMEONE ELSE WHO CAN HELP ME.

For that person's benefit (and yours if you're interested) here are my questions again....

First of all, I asked you to tell me SPECIFICALLY what folder to copy the files to, and you simply state again to copy the files to the theme folder. There are many sub folders in the theme. So which folder in the theme? Also, your advice to copy the files to the theme folder doesn't make sense to me in this regard.: I have never before had to move files from a plugin folder to a theme folder. The plugins are usually designed to work with the files in the folders as is, and the themes know how to access the plugins appropriately without moving files into the theme folder. But perhaps this is an exception. So whoever is helping me, please verify that this was correct advice.

Next I ask you how to add content and you just say to edit the file with a text editor. Of course with a text edit. I need to know HOW to edit the file. I need to know HOW to add content to a template... are the additions made inside the template php file or do I create layout and content changes somewhere else and add some sort of call to that information in the template plhp file? I'm not used to editing a template and don't know if there are any special concerns about editing a template. For example, how does it access the CSS? if I want to add page columns, how do I do that and where do I put the css? Assume I know nothing. I NEED SPECIFIC HELP. That's what I asked for.

Also, I explained clearly in a previous part of this thread that I cannot use "recurring" events. The events do not happen on regular days (i.e. once a week, month, etc.) So every occurrence of an event must be entered separately. (or is there another option?) SO... I still need answers to all my other questions without telling me about recurring events.

• DavidM

Hi @Earl,

We received your email and I just wanted to step in here to mention a few things.

I'd like to note first off, that what you appear to want to do would require a fair amount of coding knowledge. Basically, the plugin works "out of the box" a certain way and depending on the scenario, it could require additional coding via template files.

If you're not really comfortable working with coding, you might want to seek assistance with this through our Job Board here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

On the other hand, if you're comfortable with dabbling into coding, to help with a bit more detail, you can perhaps begin by having a look at how page templates are normally customized here:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Page_Templates

With an understanding of how page templates works, the following should help to see how the rest of the template system in WordPress works:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Stepping_into_Templates

And with those things in mind, you can see how that all factors in to the hierarchy of WordPress theming/front-end concerns:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy

As you'll likely want to delve into the archive template with this particular concern, the following should help, with more specific examples and details:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_an_Archive_Index

Given all of that, in this particular case, you'll want to copy that archive Ari mentioned over into your theme's main folder. So basically:
    yoursite.com/wp-content/themes/yourthemefolder

Something that's highly recommended in this case though, is to create a child theme from your current theme, as detailed here:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

That will ensure that theme updates won't overwrite any changes you make. And you can safely make CSS additions then through your child theme's style.css file.

I should mention again though, these things aren't "required" for using Events+. They're only required really if you want it all to work a certain way that it's not specifically designed to. The plugin is flexible enough to allow for such additions, it just requires a bit of coding, made much easier by the design flow of the plugin.

Does that help? We'll be happy to answer your further questions, I just wanted to be sure to explain this much for clarity.

Thanks,
    David

• Earl

Thank you for your thoughts... I'll have to dig through the links to see if any of it makes sense to me.

Let me clarify something. It's not that I have to do it the way I've described, and so it may not be necessary to do all the coding. I may in fact be quite happy with what it's supposed to do "out of the box." The problem is... and I've expressed this before... is that your documentation (as far as I've found) does absolutely NOTHING to describe or illustrate what your plugins are supposed to do "out of the box." There's not a single series of images of what the user is supposed to experience or an explanation of what they will encounter and what options I can provide to them. You only provide definitions for most of the settings in the dashboard and leave it to me to try to extrapolate what the user experience could be.

So at this point, I still don't know what the out of box experience is supposed to be to know whether I can live with that or not, or where I absolutely need to try to modify.
    I only explained the things I would imagine would be good to do in the absence of having any user experience explained. This is the case for every single plugin I have used.

I have painstakingly worked my way through a lot of the issues on my own. I have modified the calendar template to meet my needs (and I did not have to move it to my theme folder. I modified it in the plugin folder where it normally resides and where the plugin knows where to find it.)

And now I am facing other challenges regarding how a user signs up for and pays using pay pal. If you have any description of what the user is SUPPOSED TO EXPERIENCE IN THE OUT OF THE BOX SCENARIO... what the process is once they click on the I'm Attending button... then please send to me. I 'm getting inconsistent experiences at this and don't have any idea what it is SUPPOSED to do.

Thank you for your help.

• DavidM

Hi @Earl,

Thanks for your reply though I am sorry for the previous delays. For payment functionality "out of the box", you'd normally click the "I'm attending" button and would be taken through the purchase process, where they can enter the number of tickets, then be taken to PayPal for the order completion.

We'll have a look at getting that cleared up through our Usage page:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/events-plus/#usage

I can see there's a section on order completion when using our e-commerce plugin MarketPress, but not really a clear example of normal usage as I just mentioned.

Also, I see you're no longer a member, but wanted to clarify these things. I'll mark this thread as resolved, but please feel free to re-open it should you join back up. We'll be happy to assist further.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.