can't seem to activate

For whatever reason the dashboard tab will not accept my credentials no matter what i do it seems to want to create a new account.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ubernaut,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

You have tried to enter your API key and it will not accept it?

If copying and pasting on a Windows based computer, please be sure that a blank space is not being added by Windows to the beginning or end of the API key.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ubernaut,

Thank you for the screen shot which as you can see I have completely removed though it does tell a tale.

What happens while you are logged into WPMU DEV and you go to the toolbar –> Your Dashboard?

Screen shot below.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ubernaut,

Thank you for you additional input and just to clarify before calling in the big guns on this, while logged into WPMU DEV and you click on the above indicated "Your Dashboard" option from the drop down menu you do not get a similar screen like the screen shot below?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ubernaut,

Thank you for your additional feedback.

thats the screen it takes me too i have tried several different paths but it always funnels me into the dashboard page and always tries to insert the admin user details instead of letting me enter my own.

Can you please clarify this especially the part concerning always tries to insert the admin user details instead of letting me enter my own

The admin is somebody else?

I admit I am a bit confused as to what is going on there.

Please clarify the best that you can.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ubernaut,

This almost sounds like two accounts – one created using a user name and password and the other using Facebook or etc. log in.

I am asking someone with the authority to dig into the back end to check this out and see if there is something going on I cannot see.

Be back to you soon.

Cheers, Joe

• ubernaut
    • Flash Drive

yeah idk but this is a really basic problem with the plugin i think like i had said before i tried installing the dashboard on two separate sites (on different hosts) and both do the exact same thing which is to not even let me enter my login credentials so i would have to believe anyone would have this problem and that you could easily reproduce it by installing the latest version of the plug in to a blank wp install.

thanks again for all your help would be nice to get this going!

• ubernaut
    • Flash Drive

ok sorry that last post was made while you were making yours i think. seems like we are getting to the bottom of this that link you indicate on your screen shot doesn’t appear with either of my installs.

plugin version: 3.2

wp version: 3.4.2 (one of them is multi one single)

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ubernaut,

Thank you for your continued posting and working to get to the bottom of this issue.

I will be more then happy to configure up a “blank” WordPress installation for you on my servers so that you can see this plugin does indeed work as anticipated.

I think if this were even 2% occurence within our membership hundreds would be having this issue, but to date this is the only known report from the current 9000+ members.

What domain name you want me to use to set this up on my servers?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• ubernaut
    • Flash Drive

well i don’t have domains i can let you use but this is definitely happening on 2 different servers perhaps the issue is my browser. i’m using safari 517 (i don’t like safari 6 cause of it’s lack of rss functionality) not sure if anyone else around here has safari 5 to test with but i’ll try test with another browser on my end when i have the chance.

• ubernaut
    • Flash Drive

yeah I’m not entirely sure how long it will take me to test this with another browser btw. i know this may be difficult to believe but even though i am a web developer (mostly a designer) i have not needed any other browser installed on my system in years (usually able to test pages with stuff like browser lab but obviously that won’t work here).

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ubernaut,

Though I indeed do not know that this is a browser issue for sure, I do know that testing and developing using the same browser is nothing but trouble.

It can make ones head spin due to the cookies etc. and the reactions.

My favorite combinations are Firefox (currently 17.0.1) for development and Chrome (23.0.12 etc.) for testing. I love there multiple tab features and this does not let the cookie thing happen since they deal with them individually and kept apart.

Let me know how it works out.

Cheers, Joe

• ubernaut
    • Flash Drive

well it not normal for me to have to test pages that require login believe it or not. i understand your point as i have been making websites for ages but it is getting easier these days with so many browsers based on webkit. thanks again!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ubernaut,

Thank you for mentioning that and indeed I have Safari as well plus Internet Explorer 9 and Opera … lol

But I do not know how that could possibly help to resolve the issue we are having since I am already registered and API Key in place.

Am I missing something by any chance?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ubernaut,

Yes you can dig into your credentials and other setting while logged into WPMU DEV with your browser and from the toolbar on the top and the drop down menu form the “WPMU DEV” logo on the top left you can dig into all kinds of settings there.

Please feel free to dig in there and you will certainly find your API key for videos and much more.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers, Joe

• ubernaut
    • Flash Drive

But I do not know how that could possibly help to resolve the issue we are having since I am already registered and API Key in place.

i can’t login that’s the whole problem but if you are saying you can clear them out and try seeing if the link shows up in safari on your end that may help narrow things down some more. i would be really surprised if this is something that only effects safari 5 its possible sure, but i would very surprised none the less.

• ubernaut
    • Flash Drive

OK i have an update it seems the link is there but invisible i was able to click it even though i couldn’t see it and am now able to activate the dashboard plugin. if i can remember the next time i have a different browser i will try to verify this is a browser related issue. Regardless it may be worth taking a look at that code if its invisible in safari 5 it could have other accessibility issues.

thanks again for your help Joe!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ubernaut,

Thank you for your persistence and what appears to be the same attitude of “surrender is not an option” … lol

Happy to know that you have this working now.

I have tested this using Safari 5.1.7 and everything appears to be almost normal but there are things missing within, not only on WPMU DEV sites but also on my own and these anomalies are not present with Firefox, Chrome, IE9, nor Opera.

Unbelievable but true and I am certain to keep my eye out for this in the future.

Fortunately I use the Firefox/Chrome combo for doing my thing i.e. Firefox for development and Chrome for testing.

This issue with Safari could actually drive someone insane … lol

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• ubernaut
    • Flash Drive

surrender is not an option

never :wink:

so does this also happen in safari 6? (i’m afraid to update until i have no choice in the matter because of the whole rss thing, I’m actually avoiding mountain lion altogether for this same reason) so now i’m also wondering are there any other things that aren’t showing up in the wpmu dashboard/plugins. funny that chrome and safari should render so differently since they are both webkit. was sorta hoping now that all the browsers aside from firefox use webkit to render that the days of lowest common denominator design would eventually become a thing of the past :disappointed:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ubernaut,

I am totally with you on that – that the days of lowest common denominator design would eventually become a thing of the past – you are fortunate enough to have not run into the worst of them all Internet Explorer!

What i am curious to see is regarding sites I have created. But after going through the analytics of many of my sites I find that 97% of people or browsers are using either IE or Firefox making the remainder of the market not enough for me to pull my hair out worrying about the other browsers.

so does this also happen in safari 6?

Good question and which one of us is going to take the dive to check this out :wink: and I certainly hope not that the anomalies are a thing of the past for Safari.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.