Can't understand domain mapping setup

The installation instructions are a little bit unclear to me...

Some info:
My setup is using subfolders, the network is using a VPS with a dedicated IP, and the plugin has been installed correctly.

Here is where I get lost:
First, do I have to park a domain in my cPanel, and then point that A record to the IP of my install? I have a spare domain for testing that I have registered at mydomain.com, do I have to edit any DNS info or A record in there? Or should I add a parked domain in cPanel?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @Mijaeus,

Working alongside Vinod, you should be able to use either method as he mentioned.

Could I ask, are you already comfortable with making DNS edits through the site where you've registered the domain?

If not, could you let us know the service, and I'll see if I can find more detail on it?

Cheers,
    David

• Mijaeus
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I am confortable editing DNS as long as I dont touch the main site install :stuck_out_tongue:

I am currently trying to work this out, my install is not allowing me to map a domain giving me an error saying "We can't access your new domain". I tried to park a spare domain I have in mydomain.com but I got an error from cPanel saying that the domain is using an IP that is not pointed at the server, so I edited the A Record in mydomain.com control panel to point to my VPS server. Now I have to wait for it to propagate and see if I can either park it or map it.

I thought this would be a little bit easier, I hope I can get it working by morning or tommorow it going to be ugly for me :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: do I have to have an NS server configured at my VPS to get this to work? Its a brand new VPS, but only 1 account for the WPMU install.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hey @Mijaeus,

Thanks for your reply and from what I understand of your description, you can simply use the service where you've got the domain name currently registered and simply create an A record pointing to the IP for your VPS.

Have you tried that by any chance?

It should take a moment to propagate but should be rather simple, just setting up the A record.

I'm not totally sure if you'd need to configure a nameserver on your VPS (I use Digital Ocean and their nameserver myself), it kinda depends on your hosting service. But it sounds like the above would be easiest in any case.

Cheers,
    David

• Mijaeus
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Ah, finally managed to get it to work :slight_smile: After sorting another problem in the panel over at the registrar, I managed to edit the A Record there to point to my network, map domain and bam, working!

Now to fix the last problem I have and I am almost ready :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.