Can't update plugins

During the update, the PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10): Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signal is showing

The zip is enabled on a PHP, please visit the https://www.mysite.net/phpinfo.php

• Nithin

Hello Sebastian,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I checked your website, and I did try to replicate the issue, and updated the Ultimate Branding plugin, but the update went smoothly, and the plugin got updated without any issue. Was this issue resolved? I checked other non-WPMU DEV plugins, and I couldn't notice any errors while updating the plugins too.

The mentioned error mostly points out that the upload format got corrupted. However, it seems like it's working fine now, and I'm not able to replicate the issue in your site anymore. Is there anything else I should be looking regarding this? Please advise, if I'm missing out anything related to this issue in your site, so that we could investigate this issue further.

Have a nice weekend ahead. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• Sebastian

Hi best Support Team ever,

thanks for taking care of my issue. Unfortunately it happened again when i was trying to update two plugins (myeventon.com and the great Hummingbird) The error message is the same as last week "PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature". Nithin was able to do an update, I failed several times now and give up. FTP updating went as smoothly without any issues. What can I do to solve this problem permanently?

Best regards, Sebastian

• Sebastian

Dearest Support Team,

any Idea around on how to solve this issue? Update from our side: The error occurs now not only with updating but also when I try to install a new plugin, like today when I was trying to get Woocommerce to run via WP Plugin depository. FTP installing worked.

Thanks for your help, support access still open, now with access to http://plus.musikzentrale.net/, where the WC issues appeared.

Cheers, Sebastian

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Sebastian,

I just tested your site and I was able to install Theme Check from WP repository and also one of WPMU DEV plugins without any errors.
    I found this article https://smashballoon.com/uploading-plugin-pclzip_err_bad_format-10-unable-find-end-central-dir-record-signature/ - that error shows when downloaded zip is corrupted (so it might be that there is connection issue and zips are not downloading correctly) or there is not enough space on your server.
    This is something that would need to be checked with your hosting provider.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Sebastian

Hi Kasia,

thanks for your kind assistance, could you please try again to update the respective plugins? I can assure that it is not a matter of disk space, since we run on our own server with 500 GB left. Strange enough, I had to update 7 plugin today, 2 of them went smoothly, but when it came to Hummingbird update, the error occured again, so the remaining 5 updates did not work.

Our hosting is playing the ball back to WPMUDEV and we get stucked in the middle :wink: So any help solving this problem is highly appreciated.

Cheers, Sebastian

• Sebastian

Hi Kasia

thanks you so much for your efforts. I still do have this issue, only on the musikzentrale.net and all its related subdomains like the one you have been working on. Would you mind trying to update the plugins on http://www.musikzentrale.net, just granted access to WPMU Support.

Strange enough, domains on this server running on php 5.6. are doing fine, musikzentrale on php 7 sucks. But switching to 5.6 does not solve the problem. I am really desperate and scared to get hacked, since I am not able to perform any update.

Thanks for your kind help. Best regards for a great weekend,
    Sebastian

• Kasia Swiderska

hello Sebastian,

I checked that site and two premium add-ons to EventsON were not updated. But they don't throw error like before, they show:
    Aktualisierungs-Paket nicht verfügbar. - so Update package not available.

Because they are premium plugins it is possible you need activate them or insert serial key to be able to update them - if that is something you did, then you need to contact developers of those add-ons.

You can update plugins manually with FTP http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-manually-update-wordpress-using-ftp/ - its not as handy as automatic updates but it will work.

if you get original error - try using different computer or network (switch to mobile internet form example), because every time I try it works on my end and I can't replicate it.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Sebastian

Hi Kasia,

sorry for responding your last message that late, but we have had two big events at our music school.

Meanwhile, there is a pile of Plugins that need updating, but the original error of "PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature" still occurs. I am getting a little nervous, since the site maybe is more vulnerable with these elder versions of plugins.

So here is what i did so far:
    - Talked to our hoster, http://www.hetzner.de, who is hosting our dedicated server with approx 70 of our domains running. we have put some efforts in trying different php Versions, without success.
    - disk space or ram is not the problem, since have a lot resources left;
    - three installations on our server act that weird, besides the theme (one is running with enfold, other with yootheme pro) all of our installations have a similar plugin structure (WPMUDEVs defender, snapshot, branding, hustler, smush, hummingbird and gravity forms are the first and industry standards I use to install)
    - error occurs with any constellation of plugins on or off
    - error occurs with Twentyseventeen or other basic theme

So, I am totally lost now and desperately looking for help, since the http://www.musikzentrale.net is our live site with teachers and students trust our reliability, not to mention the marketing aspect for new students.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Sebastian,

In case you are not able to update plugins automatically, you still can update them manually via FTP http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-manually-update-wordpress-using-ftp/ and until this issue is solved then you should proceed with that way.

From our side I am not able to replicate this issue at all on your sites, so my other question is - does this happen if you are using different computer or network?

Each source I checked tells that there are few main reasons to this:

1) The .zip file you're trying to install does not use the correct file structure for a WP plugin,
    2) The .zip file is extremely large and you're hitting memory limits while trying to unzip it, or
    3) You don't have enough server space left on your web hosting account to unzip and install the plugin.
    4) Archive file is corrupted

Other reasons I found are: trying to unzip rar archive, trying to unzip archive that is password protected.

Other than corrupted archive file - we can exclude other reasons as they are not applying to wordpress.org repository plugins and themes.

I also found that in rare cases it was casued by:

mbstring.* in php.ini

you would need to ask your hosting provider if mbstring.* is present in php.ini file and if yes, if they can remove it (or comment). Or if they can check anything that is related to that.

Please also check this. Before you start automatic updating, open you wp-config.php file and look for those:

define('WP_DEBUG', false);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', false);
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

change them to

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

then make update, get error and change those line back to false. If there are other errors occurring "around" the updating process they should be logged in.
    Send debug.log file from wp-content directory here using dropbox or google drive service.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Sebastian

Hi Kasia,

thanks for your patience and efforts, I really appreciate this, since things getting stranger day by day.
    All plugins are premium plugins without causing any issues so far, I think the error is server related. The plugins all work pretty good with other server constellations than our own ;-(

- We can tell, that we do have more disk space than we can ever use (5 TB left on our managed server)
    - If the zip Files are corrupted, I cannot tell, but since the updates worked on other sites, they seem to be okay.
    - Here is what the php ini says:
    "zend_extension = /usr/www/users/musikzr/ioncube/ioncube_loader_lin_5.3.so
    max_input_vars = 5000
    suhosin.post.max_vars = 3000
    suhosin.request.max_vars = 3000

memory_limit = 1024M
    upload_max_filesize = 32M
    post_max_size = 32M
    auto_prepend_file = "/usr/www/users/musikzr/webanalyze/firewall/firewall.php"

The Firewall link may comes from Siteguarding, which was our protection tool prior to defender, but we skipped it. Obviously I should get rid of their remainings, before, next, I will give the debug log a shot.

Lets Go :wink:
    Cheers, Sebastian

• Sebastian

Hi Kasia,

sorry for being so late, but we had a two week into the sun :wink:

Here is a link to the very last debug.log files.
    1. Update attempt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b574izt8gerpmhh/28102017-debug.log?dl=0
    2. Update attempt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mihu13q9uaycms9/debug.log?dl=0
    And here is the error log from our hosting backend: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5o0clhhoauomofa/musikzentrale.net_error_logs_20171028.txt?dl=0

trying to update plugins and theme (not to think of what is going to happen as soon as WP 4.9 is live), results now in "could not be installed, package did not contain any data"). No matter what kind of backend update I perform (premium or free plugins, theme), I get the same result.

I am totally lost now, since our host declares himself as not responsible, without offering any kind of support whatsoever.

So lets see what we can achieve?
    A moderately desperate Sebastian with best regards.

PS: Support access is now open

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Sebastian,

This is indeed weirder and weirder. And right now I am also getting same result on your site. Themes, plugins and translations.
    It is impossible that all of them would be corrupted. And that is not the same error we were facing at the beginning. I understand that your server provided has not do any changes in server configuration since my tests where I could update plugins without issue on your sites?

I researched this new error - we can exclude that all the files are corrupted, because that's not possible. Also again, lack of space on server is not the issue.

I found information that there might be problem with /tmp directory. In this case can you make sure that /tmp directory gets 777 permissions with sticky bit (using console it would be: sudo chmod 1777 /tmp ). This is not something I can do with support access or even with FTP - so you would need again check with provider :slight_frown:.

There is also another possibility - one of the plugins that we updated on your site is cause of this new problem.
    Is any of your sites test site where plugin test conflict can be performed so we can check this?

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Sebastian

Hi Kasia,

now things really get funny: after I had an argument with our hosting company (hetzner.de), I was so frustrated, that I decided to give one of the very few dedicated WP hoster a try. On both plattforms (WP Engine and Raidboxes) everything worked like a charm: installation, migration, update of plugins, theme and language like it should be, without error message or any huzzle at all. So, it is time to move on and change our hosting.

It looks like we are coming to a solution, a radical one, but sometimes one has to make straightforward decisions. Since WP Engine offers only Website Hosting, I grant the new-Ex-ISP to host our E-Mails :wink:

Thanks for your patience & have a great day. No we can work on something more creative :wink:
    Cheers, Sebastian.

• Sebastian

Unbelievable: Both websites are online on the WP Engine staging server (without any caching). The server response time improved dramtatically from 900-1.700 ms to blazing fast 60-70 ms. But what I think is more impressive is the feeling of loading speed. Almost out of nothing visitors can see content, shortly after they entered the url.

So much time wasted on a mediocre hosting company. I cannot stress enough the importance of a great hosting company.

Besides WPMUDEV, switching to WP Engine was the best investment for our Website I can achieve. BTW: While speed and service and security improved by the factor 10, the monthly costs will go down, not counted my precious time. Thanks again for all the input and the ideas. I really appreciate it. Finally, this long time thread can be closed :wink:

Have a great week,
    Sebastian

• Sebastian

Unbelievable: Both websites are online on the WP Engine staging server (without any caching). The server response time improved dramtatically from 900-1.700 ms to blazing fast 60-70 ms. But what I think is more impressive is the feeling of loading speed. Almost out of nothing visitors can see content, shortly after they entered the url.

So much time wasted on a mediocre hosting company. I cannot stress enough the importance of a great hosting company.

Besides WPMUDEV, switching to WP Engine was the best investment for our Website I can achieve. BTW: While speed and service and security improved by the factor 10, the monthly costs will go down, not counted my precious time. Thanks again for all the input and the ideas. I really appreciate it. Finally, this long time thread can be closed :wink:

Have a great week,
    Sebastian

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.