Can't update WP — seems to be missing version number?

I just realized today that my WordPress has not displayed any new plugin updates or the new WP 5.x update. When I visit the update-core.php in the admin, I see this:

If you need to re-install version –, you can do so here

You see it has a dash instead of the version number? That is probably related to the problem… how can I troubleshoot and fix this?

It also says "Last checked on December 14, 2018 at 9:19 am." which is the time right now… so it seems to be checking but it is not returning accurate details back about an update.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi paperweight,

How was the site installed in your website? Was it a one-click update? or did you install the website manually?

If it’s a one-click update via cPanel, or other services in your host, then that might have added some additional rules restricting the update. So hosting providers, added custom mu-plugins, iniside /wp-content/mu-plugins/ that could cause such issue. Checking with your hosting provider would give you a better idea if that’s the case.

If it was a manual install, maybe you have any security plugins that restrict updates? You could check in wp-config.php file located in the root folder for such links, and see whether you have such codes in there:

define( 'DISALLOW_FILE_MODS', true );
    define( 'AUTOMATIC_UPDATER_DISABLED', true );

If yes, please check whether removing the above code helps, or not.

If you still have issue even after checking the above factors, would recommend you to enable support access, so that we could give a closer look at the dashboard side.

You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Please let us know once you enable access, so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

Nithin

• paperweight
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks for your help and sorry for the delay. I did originally install the WP via Plesk one-click install. However, today I moved to a new environment on GCP. I used the Duplicator plugin to zip and download my site and then I installed it on the new GCP environment. It still shows that there are no new updates. I also do not have any /mu-plugins/ director, and my wp-config also lacks any other codes. Any idea what could be causing this?

• paperweight

Also, I cannot update WPMUDEV plugins. it shows there are updates, but when I update it says I’m at the latest version.

I checked my error logs and I see this (I used xxx to obfuscate):

[Tue Feb 19 14:46:30.598011 2019] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 13277:tid 140309736355584] [client 162.xxx.xxx.xxx:50128] AH01071: Got error ‘PHP message: WPMU DEV Upgrader error: UPG.09 – The plugin is at the latest version..n’, referer: https://www.xxx.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=wpmudev-plugins

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello paperweight

Would you please try replacing the core files with the latest version?

You have to do that manually, please follow the steps:

1. Take a backup of entire site including database

2. Download wordpress from here: https://wordpress.org/download/

3. Extract on your desktop

4. Using any FTP client, upload wp-admin and wp-includes folder to replace the current ones. DO NOT upload wp-content and any files in the root.

Let us know if that improves the situation. Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Ash

• paperweight

Thanks for your help. I uploaded the 5.0.3 wp-includes and wp-admin directories. I saved the old ones as wp-admin0 and wp-includes0. Nothing changes in WordPress — it still shows the same as before.

I also moved this off a staging server and now its the live site. I enabled the support access yesterday so you can check. Thank you for your help!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.