Can't use widgets (Can't add and getting error message)

Hello,

I seem to be having issues with widgets. When I click to "Add Widget", nothing seems to be happening. I've tried it on multiple different widgets and have tried uninstalling/re-installing the plugins as well. In particular, I was hoping to use JetPack's Custom Menu and/or Advanced Sidebar Pages plugin. I've been trying to troubleshoot it myself for the past few days but haven't had any luck. What I noticed was if I use a theme that doesn't use Upfront, I can create the widget. Thinking that I can use it as a workaround, I enabled my Upfront theme after creating the widget then tried adding it on my site. But then I get an error message below.

My goal is to be able to create a sidebar menu that only shows a navigation menu for that current category. To be more specific, just like how it is on this site: Company Overview and be able to hide it when on mobile view.

Thanks very much! I really appreciate the support I've gotten from this site in the short time I've been a member.

P.S. If it helps, I have Support Access currently enabled on my site due to an outstanding support ticket I have regarding flash scripts.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Naz,

It looks like this plugin Advanced Sidebar Pages is not compatibility with Upfront. Reason why "Add widget" is not working is because Upfront does not use sidebars like other themes - widgets in Upfront Editor/Builder can be added to any place on page.

I can suggest creating new menu element with those pages you want to have and then add that menu on those pages - instead adding the widget.
    Menu can be updated on any of the pages, so change will take a place on all pages that has that menu element.
    Let me know if that would work for you.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Naz

Hi Kasia Swiderska,

Ah, no wonder none of the widgets seems to work. Thanks for clarifying that! I don't mind manually creating a new menu on the pages but I have some questions about it...

1. If I create a new menu on the side, will it automatically populate to all the other pages? I'm using a page template if it matters. There are three main sections on the site (Company, Investment Funds and Acquisitions) that I would like to have different side menus for.
    2. Is there a way that I can create a menu that will only show the sub-pages if I click on the parent page? For example, under Management Team, there's at least 7 sub pages in that category. If a visitor isn't on the Management Team page, I would prefer not to have to show the sub pages to keep the menu clean looking.
    3. As you can see on the link above, on our current site, there's a nice little design on the menu. Is there any way for me to replicate that? I'm afraid I'm no expert on CSS.

Thank you for your help!

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Naz,

1. If I create a new menu on the side, will it automatically populate to all the other pages? I'm using a page template if it matters. There are three main sections on the site (Company, Investment Funds and Acquisitions) that I would like to have different side menus for.

If you edit page in Editor and add 1 menu on one page, second menu on second second page, and so one then no, each menu will show only on page you have added to it.
    Only exception is if you would put that menu on the global region, but from what I saw you doing that next to content, so change on one side won't change anything on another.

2. Is there a way that I can create a menu that will only show the sub-pages if I click on the parent page? For example, under Management Team, there's at least 7 sub pages in that category. If a visitor isn't on the Management Team page, I would prefer not to have to show the sub pages to keep the menu clean looking.

I'm afraid there is no such feature in the Upfront regarding menus :slight_frown: - you would need to create separate menus for each page that needs to display different version of it.

3. As you can see on the link above, on our current site, there's a nice little design on the menu. Is there any way for me to replicate that? I'm afraid I'm no expert on CSS.

Have you tried Appearance tab in settings menu? You can create there new preset for your side menus and add different look to them:

Let me know how it works for you - if you will need more customization than this option offers let us know and we will cook some CSS for you.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Naz

Hi Kasia Swiderska

Thanks so much for the clarification! At least now I know what can and cannot be done on Upfront, so I won't waste time playing with other menu plugins. As long as the menus will correspond the
    page, I don't mind having to manually do it page per page. I've also tried using the Appearance tab but it doesn't really do much aside from the text and colors. I guess it would have to be in css editor.

Thanks again for all your help! I apologize for the delayed response. It's been a hectic past few weeks in the office so I had to pause this little side project for other matters.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.