capabilities needed to submit support ticket with Support System plugin

I defined a custom user using the members plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/members/). My user only has the "read" capability. Obviously this is not enough to submit a support ticket in the Support System plugin: When trying, I get the error messages

"You don't have enough permissions to get support"

and

"You don't have enough permissions to submit a new ticket"

What other capability do I have to activate for users to use the ticketing system?
Thanks
Wolfgang

• Michael Bissett

Hey @mynym, my apologies for the delay here!

You're trying to post a ticket on the front end with this user, correct?

Inside of:

Support -> Settings

Is the box for the user role checked in the "User roles that can open/see tickets." section there?

If so, have you tried creating another user (giving him the exact same role), and seeing if he's able to open tickets then?

If he is, then was there anything special done with the user you were using before to test this? Was he granted any other roles, or capabilities, or was he simply just given this custom role?

If he isn't, then could you please send in the following via our secure contact form:

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress network admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

On the contact form (linked to below), please select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Please advise,
    Michael

• mynym

Hi Michael

Thank you for your answer.

I think I found a simple reason why I run into the problem: I looks like Support System does not allow to select custom roles. After defining the role "student" as a copy of the role "subscriber", I cannot select this new role in the Support Systems Permission Settings (see screenshots).

Might this be the reason for the issue with custom roles? If so: How can I add custom roles to the list in the permission settings?

Best
    Wolfgang

• Michael Bissett

Hey @mynym,

How do you have Support System activated presently, and how do you have the Members plugin activated presently?

With having Support System network activated, and having User Role Editor network activated (I tend to use that plugin more for creating roles, just saying that here, as I'm aware you're using Members to create your roles :slight_smile: ), when I create a custom role on the main site, it's recognized inside of Support System. :slight_smile:

Could you enable Support Access to your network, so I can have a closer look at your setup?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please advise,
    Michael

• mynym

Hi Michael

Meanwhile I also switched from the Members Plugin to User Role Editor PRO (URE).

While both plugins are network activated, the custom role that I defined ("student") was defined in the blog where this role is needed.

I think this might be the reason why this 'local' role does not show up in the list of available roles on the Support System settings, do you agree? If so:
    a.) Would I need to add a "student" role (as a 'local' role on the main blog) to the main blog?
    b.) Or would I even need to define this role on the main page and add it to the whole network ("Network Update" button of URE)?

What do you recommend?
    Thanks
    Wolfgang

PS: Let me know if you still need to have Support Access, then I will set this up for you.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @mynym,

While both plugins are network activated, the custom role that I defined ("student") was defined in the blog where this role is needed.

I think this might be the reason why this 'local' role does not show up in the list of available roles on the Support System settings, do you agree?

It sounds like the reason why it doesn't show up in the list of available roles, what I'm curious about though is the role that the user has on your main site. If he has one of the default roles available, then he shouldn't be running into this issue.

The main site on your network is the site where you've set up the pages for Support System, right? If not, which site on the network did you set them up on?

Please advise,
    Michael

• mynym

Hi Michael

The 'student' user have no role on the main site. They shall only have access to the blog #5 of my network, which is the project's homepage.

The project's blog is also the site where I show the pages for Support System (though I have to manage categories etc. from the main site's dashboard).

The main site is "for my eyes only", there are no users other than me having access to this site.

Now that I worked with the Support System, I see that it is designed to run (content wise) network wide, asuming that FAQ are the same on all blogs.
    I do not know what other people run on their networks, but for me it would be great if tickets and FAQs could be handled and published on a PER BLOG basis, as each blog might be a different project with different topics, questions and answers.
    Do you plan for something like this? If not, could you add this to the plugin's wish list? I can imagine some people might want to use it in the way I do - is there a place to deposit such a feature request...?

I solved the issue: I just added one of the 'student' users to the main site. This made the role appear in the Support System settings and I could grant the right to use the Support System to this role.

Best
    Wolfgang