Category shows, listings do not

I completely removed the last version of Directory and installed and updated the latest. Adding the shortcode to my home page and choosing the grid display, it shows the categories and the sub category listings but when you click a link it takes you to a blank page. Not only does it not show the listing but it doesn’t show anything from the page below the header area.

I completely removed my categories from the old version and recreated a new test category and 2 test sub categories. Still doesn’t work.

my home page with the directory short code:

http://houstonhomeandlandsource.com/

when you click on the main category title:

http://houstonhomeandlandsource.com/listings-category/test/

when you click on a sub category link:

http://houstonhomeandlandsource.com/listings-category/test/sub-category-2-test/

while the old version did not work very well, it did actually take you to the listing pages. Am I missing something here? The new category, sub categories and listing pages were all created after I removed the old plugin, installed the new version and ran the most recent update.

Roz

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Roz,

I got the category thing handled no problem and chose the correct plugin for your post.

Unfortunately I do not see the exact screen you do and do not know why you do not have the edit choice as shown in my attached screen shot.

Now on to the Directory Plugin issue.

As you can see by my demo site the listing and everything are working correctly therefore I am obviously unable to replicate the issue:

http://directory.aecnuwpmu.us/

On your installation is Custom Press showing in the admin dashboard menu?

Are you using the included theme or shortcodes in your theme?

Are your permalinks set to anything but default?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• neuroticartist
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for the reply for some reason, my screen does not show the edit/delete.

To answer your questions:

1. Custom Press showing in the admin dashboard. Ive unchecked the default settings for all options and checked all the available things to show, or just some, neither has changed the problem.

2. I am currently using shortcodes inside my theme

I have this added to my index page (currently the mylisting css is removed for testing)

<div id="my_categories">
    <?php echo do_shortcode('[dr_list_categories style="grid"] '); ?>
    </div>

3. My permalink settings were set to %category%/%postname%/ but to test I switched them to default and I still have the same errors

I have also unchecked all other plugins to test for incompatibility. How can I send you a PM with admin login credentials or something? I checked your profile. I seem to be set to some limited displays or something

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

I’m seeing your blank page but it cuts off abrubtly right after it tries to display breadcrumbs. The output just stops. No closing < body> or < html> tags so something crashed hard. Send me both Admin and FTP logins and I’ll take a look. arnold at incsub dot com.

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

I found a bug in your Real estate theme. When it tries to write the breadcrumbs for a custom category it goes into an infinite loop and never finishes the page. It uses get_term to get the parent of the category for the archive page. But it only looks in ‘category’ not in ‘lsting_category’ and fails. It doesn’t handle the WP_error that is returned and just stops outputing the page.

Now it looks like they tried to sort of handle it by defining any custom type. If you add

define('CUSTOM_CATEGORY_TYPE1', 'listing_category');

to your functions.php in the realestate theme it will work properly there, but I don’t know what it might break elsewhere.

• neuroticartist

thats strange. I wonder why I haven’t encountered that issue before. So is this something I need to post in the themes support forums before I can address the new Directory integration? I fear a lot of back and forth so I hope you can answer any additional questions about it. thanks!

• neuroticartist

initially it did not work, I went back in and changed the permalinks back to the original /%category%/%postname%/ and it does seem to be ok now.

Thanks for your help, I have posted this issue in the Templatic forums to let them know.

Now on to integration and more posts Im sure :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.