Categories appearing on pages

I am building a website rather than a blog, so start with a bunch of “static” pages. However, I do want a menu option to that links to a more traditional “blog”

I want to be able to have posts automatically feed into a set page – say blog, so I have created a page called blog…. but without me doing anything the home page appears!

I have been trying to categorise posts and getting that post to appear on a set page so I might have a page on e-books and all posts marked with the category e-book gets listed, ideally with a preview/read more link to the full post….. but to no avail!

Please help

see http://www.thewordmaid.com

Ta

Robin

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Robin,

Thank you for your input and I admit even though I visited your site I cannot get my head wrapped around what you are actually trying to accomplish there regarding the “blog” and maybe I am on the right track with stating that why are you not using links to post categories?

Of course your answer will tell a lot to include if I am on the right track at all.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• TrueHammer
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

The “blog” will have “posts” but imagine there will be a widget of recent posts (all posts) but under Blog (or shall we call it category posts) there may be posts for Indie authors, then e-books, new authors – but each sub menu page would list just the posts categorised….

Of course if I understood how to link to post categories that may help!!!

Ta

Robin

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Robin,

Thank you for the clarification which is absolutely appreciated.

To link to each category and display just those posts within that category the easiest thing to do to get the category link is logged into the admin dashboard go to –> Posts –> Categories –> and under each category name (hovering with your mouse) are the options “Edit | Quick Edit | View”

Click on “View” and it will open window with just the posts in that category and in your browser for this new window will be the URL to this category which i imagine you will want to copy and paste as a menu selection somewhere or link, but this indeed takes care of getting the category URL.

Please advise if I am on the right track on this one.

Look forward to hearing from you in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• TrueHammer

Thanks Joe… down side is I have to do that manually (and the site is for someone even less technical that me!!!!) – I suppose I am looking for an automated way …..

and one which doesn’t require lots of styling to keep the look and feel…. a sort of widget of recent posts in specified category….. now there’s an idea for a page plugin !!!

What I don’t get is that a page called …../blog automatically picked up the renamed sample page and displayed it as a post!

Ta, Robin

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings adminRH and JosephLee1179,

@adminrh thank you for the clarification and regarding and one which doesn’t require lots of styling to keep the look and feel…. a sort of widget of recent posts in specified category….. now there’s an idea for a page plugin !!!

There already is such a plugin Recent Posts plugin that does this job and for the widget aspect Recent Posts Widget plugin

To be able to filter based on categories or more accurately category ID I am using the Better RSS Widget plugin using feeds for the posts by category and though I have never personally used it WPSIREN Recent Posts By Category plugin look very interesting for this task as well.

@josephlee1179 Totally hilarious and thank you for that, and your comment is absolutely appreciated.

Thank you both for being WPMU DEV Community Members!

Cheers, Joe

• TrueHammer

Joe, thanks – I guess I got the impression Recent Posts and Recent Posts Widget required multisite – but will look in more details

WRT the other two, finding a reliable way of finding category IDs seemed elusive and neither of the recommends came up when I searched… you clearly have a knack I lack!!!

Will have a play and see what happens.

Thanks, Robin

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Robin,

Thank you for your additional input.

Indeed both those plugins require a MultiSite and I was not aware we were dealing with a Solo WordPress install – did I miss that somewhere perhaps?

In addition, to help with the ID’s of everything, I use the WP Show IDs plugin to make things much simpler for ID identification.

Let me know how it is going there and in any event have a GREAT upcoming weekend!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.