Categories: bug?

Hi,

I use Autoblog 3.9.9 on a WordPress 3.51 Multisite setup, with no other plugins, except Akismet.

In my multisite Network Admin, when I add a new feed via “Add New”, I enter all the requested information like new feed “Your Title”, “Feed URL”, “Add posts to” …

I want to import the category from my feed as well, so, in the next section “Categories and Tags”, the first option is “Assign posts to this category”, and there I get a dropdown menu with the actual categories of my blog, the option “None” is not available in that dropdown menu at this time.

I want to select “None” because Autoblog does not have to assign a category, the category is already in the feed, so that category should be used.

The second option is “Treat feed categories as”, and I select “categories” in that second dropdown menu.

Now I have to save this new feed, and Edit it again, and now the “None” option appears just fine in the “Assign posts to this category” section. Save again. Everything works fine, the original category gets imported just fine.

Why does the “None” option disappear when adding new feeds?

Thank you.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings randyfranklin,

Welcome to WPMU DEV!

Thank you for the question:

I want to import the category from my feed as well, so, in the next section “Categories and Tags”, the first option is “Assign posts to this category”, and there I get a dropdown menu with the actual categories of my blog

This is indeed intended use.

Why does the “None” option disappear when adding new feeds?

This one I do not know since it is indeed present on my test production server, screen shot below.

As a matter of fact when I go to add a new feed it is the default category – none.

What version of Autoblog are you using?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• randyfranklin
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Joe, thank you for your reply.

I use Autoblog 3.9.9 on a WordPress 3.51 Multisite setup, with no other plugins, except Akismet.

The default category “None” only appears when using Autoblog on a single site.

However, I use WordPress Multisite, I have multiple blogs in my network, so I’m in my Network Admin section of WordPress, there I go to Autoblog, and I add a new feed via “Add New”, I enter all the requested information, I start with the first 3 fields: “Your Title”, “Feed URL”, “Add posts to”.

It’s that third field that triggers the bug.

As soon as I enter one of my other network blogs in “Add posts to”, the “None” category disappears.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings randyfranklin,

Thank you for the clarification which is absolutely appreciated.

I admit I have not in the past tried to use this plugin in this manner, and nothing but great success using it in site by site activations.

Are you trying to add the same feed to all the sub sites or?

And you have network activated the Autoblog plugin?

Trying to get my head wrapped around what you are trying to do and to see if I can replicate it.

Update: I have indeed tried to replicate this and as shown in my screenshot below the categories are indeed showing.

Let me know.

Cheers, Joe

• randyfranklin

Thank you for your reply Joe, I appreciate it.

I admit I have not in the past tried to use this plugin in this manner, and nothing but great success using it in site by site activations.

You make it sound like I'm doing something out of the ordinary with this plugin :slight_smile:

This is a quote from the "Usage" tab on https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/autoblog/

To Use:

Add new feeds by going to Dashboard >> Network Admin >> Auto Blog >> Add New.

From there you can configure the feed address, assign it to a particular site in your Multisite network, and set up all of the options for the feed.

and that is exactly what I'm doing.

And you have network activated the Autoblog plugin?

Yes.

Trying to get my head wrapped around what you are trying to do and to see if I can replicate it.

Update: I have indeed tried to replicate this and as shown in my screenshot below the categories are indeed showing.

Let me know.

Thank you for testing that. I can't see from your screenshot whether you choose another site to post the feed to in "Add posts to". All I can say is: when I choose another site of my network (any site but not the first one in the list) in that dropdown menu, the "None" option disappears.

Attached a screenshot. Only the existing categories appear, "None" is gone.

Thanks!

Randy.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Randy,

Thank you for the additional input which is certainly appreciated.

You make it sound like I’m doing something out of the ordinary with this plugin :slight_smile:

Not at all, I just mentioned I have never done it that way and that it has worked flawlessly for me. I was using the plugin before those instructions or any instructions existed … lol … while a member.

Thank you for testing that. I can’t see from your screenshot whether you choose another site to post the feed to in “Add posts to”.

You are spot on there – I do nto have that option it just says straight away: Add posts to Autoblog

And autoblog is indeed the name of the sub site.

Therefore in an attempt to try to replicate what you have going on there I will need to network activate autoblog (which as mentioned I have never done before) and test away.

Making it so and testing out I found that the category options when choosing another site to post to are relevant to the categories of that particular site chosen – nothing more and nothing less.

At this point I have no idea why “none” appears in the first place nor the logic within it unless it as I suspect a placeholder?? I do not know.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• randyfranklin

Hi Joe, thank you for reply!

I found that the category options when choosing another site to post to are relevant to the categories of that particular site chosen – nothing more and nothing less.

Yes, correct, and that makes perfect sense. If I would have one blog in my network about cars and another one about animals, it would make no sense to have categories like Mercedes, Ford, Honda appearing on my animals blog.

And when adding the feed from Mercedes to my cars blog, it would make perfect sense to “Assign posts to” my Mercedes category.

But if I would add another feed, that one about all cars in general, I would not want Autoblog to “Assign posts to” any category by default, but I would like to “Treat feed categories as” “categories”, and that’s why I need the “None” option in “Assign posts to”.

Thanks again for your support, and I’m looking forward to hear from the lead developer.

Randy.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Randy,

In consideration of the lead developers last post, it appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn’t resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the ‘Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (or else we’ll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• randyfranklin

Hi Joe, I have one more question, and please forgive me because this is a real newbie question: how do I update my Autoblog 3.9.9 to this new version 3.9.9.1?

In my “Network Admin > Plugins > Installed Plugins” section, it lists Autoblog 3.9.9 but there is no link to an update. (When other plugins have a new version, there is always an “Update” link.)

Do I use FTP to replace all the Autoblog files in the wp-content/plugins/autoblog folder? I just want to be absolutely sure this will not break any of my current feeds.

Thank you!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Randy,

Thank you for the additional questions.

how do I update my Autoblog 3.9.9 to this new version 3.9.9.1?

When not using the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin it is necessary to FTP the updates into place.

Do I use FTP to replace all the Autoblog files in the wp-content/plugins/autoblog folder?

That is absolutely correct and make sure your FTP client is in over write mode – over writing the old files on the hosting account.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.